Andermatt to Mosel?

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Happy New Year to All.

I have travelled around the Alps Area (Switzerland, Austria, Germany Etc) a few times now doing most of the passes and now looking for a few suggestions on routes / accommodation en route back up to the Mosel area.
We usually stay in the Black Forrest area then heading up to Cochem before travelling up to Ijmuden to catch the ferry back home.

We have 4 x nights to get up to the Mosel and looking for any suggestions preferably on the German side of Lake Konstanz. Looking for towns with a few restaurants / bars not essential. Also places of interest Museums / Highline crossings / Tobbogans etc (Keeps the guys on edge Ha)

Any help is appreciated.

TA Steve

Is it towns / accommodation that you want, rather than routes. Having the ‘must do’ towns, will create their own routes, there usually being only a limited number of ways to join A, to B to C.

To give bods a clue as to places and things to see and do along what is about 250 / 300 miles, here is the rough direction:

IMG_4821.png

The Moselle is a pretty long river, can you you narrow down where along its vineyard’ed banks you’d like to aim for, please.

:beerjug:

Last edited:
Is it towns / accommodation that you want, rather than routes. Having the ‘must do’ towns, will create their own routes, there usually being only a limited number of ways to join A, to B to C.
I am looking for any suggestions for routes, then any towns etc along the way which people might recommend.

TA Steve

Here’s the lake to Gravenmacher, a town I picked at random along the Moselle, simply as I have been there.

IMG_4822.png

It avoids motorways and is about 300 miles.

Strasbourg is roughly halfway.

Here’s a very rough alternative.

As you have four days to make the journey, I’d maybe favour the red line on the left.

IMG_4824.jpeg

Kempten is a nice place. A few miles east of Lake Constance in the Alps. I used it for a single night on the way to Carinthia via part of the Deutsche Alpenstrasse. I am going to use it again this year, but stay 3 nights so I can revisit a few places not seen for a good while.
Hotel Peterhof was good that time. It has an underground garage and very close to the city centre. A single room inc breakfast & parking is £90, double 125. Also looking at Der Fuerstenhof which looks okay https://maps.app.goo.gl/9eqWeE2pnmmYeXFP8 also parking underground and £66 for the single with breakfast included.

On Lake Contance Lindau Island is nice and the airship museum in Friedrichshafen is interesting.

Bernkastel on the Mozzelle is lovely and if you have the time ride the length of the Mozelle from Koblenz to Trier.

In Koblenz you can visit where the Mozelle joins the Rhine. There is also a cable car up across the Rhine to the castle above.

Last edited:
Happy New Year to All.

I have travelled around the Alps Area (Switzerland, Austria, Germany Etc) a few times now doing most of the passes.....
I am impressed, I have been 9 times now and still have a fair list of passes to ride, there are 300+ in John Hermans book, I have an old mapsource file somewhere with about 400 in it, and cycling cols has about 700 listed.

You should be able to ride "most" of the mosel valley in about 17 minutes I think ;-)

Back
Top Bottom