Want one? I GOT one!!

muppix

Reaction score
'evenin' all.

I had a test ride on a 2007 1200GS on Saturday, my first time aboard a boxer-engined bike, and following advice on this forum I also rode the 1200GSA straight afterwards. So what were they like?

The GS was a pleasant surprise, both in terms of corner stability and throttle response, once I'd figured out that you have to include a certain amount of over-grip in the things to check off before any spirited overtake.
I found the suspension odd at first, especially the front, as there was no dive to speak of and even though any mid-corner bumps were smoothed out acceptably you still get quite a bit of feedback from the road; cats eyes feel much larger than they do under other bikes and any tarmline-like road defects are also accentuated more than I'm used to.
The engine is just plain odd, like nothing else on earth. I've ridden a couple of V twins but most of my experience comes from Suzuki inline fours, usually in various states of tune, so I really didn't know what to expect from the boxer; which is predictable and linear in its power delivery, revs reasonably freely, and has enough torque at lower RPM to save me having to change gear too often.
The heated grips (a previously unencountered phenomenon) have been regraded in my esteem from Them's for Poofs to Where have You been all my Life? Nuff said - will invest in heated clothing at the next available opportunity. Generally the bike was very comfortable and since the screen is adjustable I won't complain that it caused some buffetting where the wind was hitting me right in the forehead.
Never having experienced ABS before I thought I'd give that a go too, in the first dirt-filled car park that I could find. Not overly impressed I must say; the back wheel refused to lock up and reward me with an intentional sideways slide, while grabbing a handful of front just caused the wheel to lock up and begin a furrow in the mud as predicted. Maybe it'll turn out to be useful in one of those I'd have been dead without it kind of situations, which could equally have been prevented by not riding like a t1t. Ho hum, I daresay it'll have its uses in winter and if not I can always turn it off.

All in all the 1200GS seemed a good replacement for my touring Bandit, although the engine could perhaps do with a little more sparkle. It's fine as it is, but with luggage and pillion I can see me wanting my Bandit back on certain parts of the Route Napoleon.

And the 1200GSA? Quite a bit taller, so even with the seat on its lowest setting I was only just on tip-toes while level, which at 5' 11" isn't a feeling I'm used to. Although not any wider than the GS it does have a much more imposing presence on the road, and the extra tank and bigger screen do take their toll on the fuel economy and top-end. (42 mpg vs 44 on the GS, 110 vs 125 likewise) Sadly I'll only be doing one trip every 5 years where the Advanture will give me better service than the GS, and therefore I just can't justify the extra pomp and circumstance.

On the basis of that morning's ride (and countless hours of research, mostly here) I'll be part-exing my 1200 Bandit for a 1200GS next week. Mine will be a 2007 model with 700 miles on the clock and full luggage, as well as ABS, trip computer, chrome exhause and tyre pressure thingy.

Nil Desperandum! :cool:

Mup.

All in all the 1200GS seemed a good replacement for my touring Bandit, although the engine could perhaps do with a little more sparkle. It's fine as it is, but with luggage and pillion I can see me wanting my Bandit back on certain parts of the Route Napoleon.

I think you'll find that once you begin to wring its neck, it'll run rings around your Bandit on the twisty bits. A little more *sparkle* can be introduced to the engine by binning the original exhaust and fitting a full system sans cat' from Messrs. Remus, Bos, Akrapovic etc.

Good luck with your new bike and a good write up.
Don't worry about the Route Napolion, The GS will amaze you fully loaded up and with passinger.

Best of luck with the new 12 when she arrives Mup.

I too came over from a 1200 Bandit three years ago now. When riding the 1150 home to Ireland from Newcastle I wondered if I had done the right thing or not. I kept the Bandit from December until the following July then sold it as it was not being ridden at all.

There's no way I would go back now. The GS does everything I want well enough from touring to fast twisties and some light offroad. All I want now is a Suzuki GS1000S or a Katana for occasional spins.

There's no way I would go back now. The GS does everything I want well enough from touring to fast twisties and some light offroad. All I want now is a Suzuki GS1000S or a Katana for occasional spins.

Hehe, I can relate. Even though I won't be riding my other toys as much as the GS I would miss them incredibly.

Detracting slightly, did you have any kind of luggage on your Bandit? Mine had a full set of Givi panniers and top-box, and I'm kind of missing them. Don't get me wrong; the BMW panniers are very well made the expanding trick will be useful (as will the opportunity to use the pillion space as additional rack area) but the capacity of the LH pannier is laughable compared to the Givi and I really dislike having to carry my helmet around by hand even though the bike is parked up with an empty top-box.

Seriously thinking about getting a GS mounting kit for my Givi Maxia ...

Mup.

Hehe, I can relate. Even though I won't be riding my other toys as much as the GS I would miss them incredibly.

Detracting slightly, did you have any kind of luggage on your Bandit? Mine had a full set of Givi panniers and top-box, and I'm kind of missing them. Don't get me wrong; the BMW panniers are very well made the expanding trick will be useful (as will the opportunity to use the pillion space as additional rack area) but the capacity of the LH pannier is laughable compared to the Givi and I really dislike having to carry my helmet around by hand even though the bike is parked up with an empty top-box.

Seriously thinking about getting a GS mounting kit for my Givi Maxia ...

Mup.

Hey Mup,

Welcome aboard :thumb2

Have you tried putting the helmet in the right hand pannier? I simply expand the RH pannier and place the helmet in along with quite a few other things. You will also find that depending on the way you put your helmet in, the top box will acomadate a full face helmet too.

My personal opinion about this bike 'the 1200' is that once you get used to the difference it has from the conventional transverce four. You find yourself wondering if you'll ever have another four.

The guy on the Gixer 6 who challenged the headlight behind him to a flit through the twisty stuff was more than a little supprised to find the bike that passed him had panniers and knobly tyres fitted. :thumb

Prepair to be impressed Val.

Have you tried putting the helmet in the right hand pannier? I simply expand the RH pannier and place the helmet in along with quite a few other things. You will also find that depending on the way you put your helmet in, the top box will acomadate a full face helmet too.

Most of my riding is commuting and I prefer to just have a top-box on. I know the difference in weight is minimal and the width is still the same as the handlebars, so maybe it's just something I need to get my mind around.

As for getting a helmet in the top-box, I've tried just about every angle and just can't make it fit. Closest I've come is about 2 inches from shutting the box, and that's at full expansion.

Ho-hum ...

Mup.

Back
Top Bottom