Weekend in London. Getting about.

Was surprised how narrow the platform was at Wapping station.

Indeed it is very narrow and too short lengthways for the trains. “The rear doors of the last carriage will not open”, comes over the train‘s public address system on each arrival.

Time to change trains and lines at Canada Water, travelling westwards on the Jubilee line to Waterloo, remembering to put the now empty coffee cup into the bin.

IMG_3764.jpeg

IMG_3765.jpeg

IMG_3766.jpeg

IMG_3768.jpeg

IMG_3767.jpeg

As expected, the train is busy, with lots of people heading towards two of the large central London hub railway stations of London Bridge and Waterloo or onto the West End.

IMG_3769.jpeg

Waterloo….

IMG_3770.jpegIMG_3771.jpeg
IMG_3772.jpeg

’Stand on the right’, one of the simplest instructions in London and applicable to all escalators on the network:

IMG_3773.jpeg

IMG_3774.jpeg

Out onto the huge concourse, to meet ChasMill under the famous clock:

IMG_3777.jpeg

There is always something going on at large railway stations. Yesterday was no exception.

Arsenal fans, on their way to north London, where their team was involved in an early kick-off against Chrystal Palace from south east London. Arsenal went on to win, three to nil.

IMG_3779.jpeg

And some bod making a video and apparently interviewing people passing by:

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3780.jpeg
IMG_3781.jpeg

And a chance to sign-up to organic vegetables:

IMG_3783.jpeg

Front door -to-Waterloo has taken about 30 minutes, including changing trains, stopping to take the pictures as and buy the coffee in Wapping Lane.

Last edited:
Journey’s end, for pre-match beers at the bar underneath the stand at the Stoop…..

IMG_3786.jpeg

And the happy pair of them, still smiling in post match defeat:

IMG_3788.jpeg

A ‘Grand day’, as I believe they say.

Last edited:
Any Idea what does the Yellow Rectangle mean? Must have some meaning as it is only shown by a single set of doors.

Every day a school day:

…….it is so the platform staff know where they can stand when doing platform duties in peak times, to be the most visible to the platform cameras which can be seen in the drivers cab. It is normally in the centre of the two main cameras…..

Thanks for posting. Did I miss a bit? Is The Stoop somewhere near Waterloo Station?
Is standing on the right a new thing on London Underground? Is it because TFL are moving surreptitiously to claiming That London as a seperate country and rejoining Europe by stealth? Or was it ever thus?

Thanks for posting. Did I miss a bit? Is The Stoop somewhere near Waterloo Station?
Is standing on the right a new thing on London Underground? Is it because TFL are moving surreptitiously to claiming That London as a seperate country and rejoining Europe by stealth? Or was it ever thus?
Stand on the right on the escalators. Two lane traffic on those things!

Yes, but we drive on the left so why not stand on the left? Typical bloody Cockernies.

Very interesting thank you.
I'm not sure the driving/steering wheel analogy works though as we overtake on the rhs here but on London Underground they insist we overtake on the left (though not for much longer it would appear).

Anyway, that's all irrelevant, thank you for posting the pictures, pleased you all had a good day out.

Thanks to Storm Isha we are still here in London, well Heathrow to be exact.

Our son, who is Aer Lingus crew was keeping an eye on flights as he thought there was a chance of cancellations. So I knew about our flight going south a couple of minutes before it became general knowledge and was able to secure a room in a hotel very close to T2 at a very reasonable price.

Our flight is now due to leave just after noon today (Monday) and hopefully we will be home by mid afternoon.

It won't put a damper on what was a great weekend, rather will make it all the more memorable.

Back
Top Bottom