Which MacBook Pro?

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need to purchase a new MacBook Pro, but torn between one model, that does come in a number of configurations.

My current MacBook Pro is over nearly 9.5 years old. The software that I wish to use, is no longer supports my MacOS Big Sur (Version11.7.10)

Image 03-01-2024 at 15.11.jpg

My requirements are, to future proof this purchase for at least next 3-4 years, and be able to use the future releases of SketchUp Pro 2024 and Escape/V-Ray, or other SketchUp compatible rendering software. The latter requires allot of GPU processing power as well as good amount of RAM.
I must confess, that I haven't used rendering software before. But I have been told that for it to be worthwhile and efficient, I would need a high spec machine to start with.
I did attempt to use rendering software before, only to find out that my existing MacBook, does no longer support it.
Rendering is something that I need to get into, in order to be able to provide customers with the good visuals,of a product / design that I am proposing to them and so that they would be able to visualise what to expect.

So machines on the horizon, are all 16" (a must) with M3 processors.

M3 Pro 36GB RAM would this be enough?

M3 Max 36GB RAM I do believe this one might be the sweet spot, but 10 less GPU cores (compared to one bellow) is something I am worried about that I would be pushing it to the limit and overheating.

M3 Max 48GB RAM I am keen to buy this one, but not sure if specification is perhaps to high for my needs and thus Ill be wasting valuable profit in the business.

Costco prices are at least £450 cheaper compared to Apple store, so that'll be where I would be buying it from.

Are there any experts out here, that are in the similar game, (designer, or an architect, etc) who could suggest something, that perhaps I am missed?

Thank you.

Ev

M3 Max 48GB RAM I am keen to buy this one, but not sure if specification is perhaps to high for my needs and thus Ill be wasting valuable profit in the business
Even if this one is currently too high specced for your current needs, at some point your needs are likely to increase.
If you can justify buying this one now then it’ll go a long way to satisfying your requirements for future proofing.

That’s just my general computer related opinion, admittedly I know very little about Mac specifics so perhaps others on here will have better / different opinions than me :thumb2

Even if this one is currently too high specced for your current needs, at some point your needs are likely to increase.
If you can justify buying this one now then it’ll go a long way to satisfying your requirements for future proofing.

That’s just my general computer related opinion, admittedly I know very little about Mac specifics so perhaps others on here will have better / different opinions than me :thumb2
My logic is like yours. Hence why my existing Mac has lasted as long as it has.

John Lewis have some clearance deals on at the moment. Good specced MBPs at a great price.

The wife replaced her 10 year old MBP last Friday.

John Lewis have some clearance deals on at the moment. Good specced MBPs at a great price.

The wife replaced her 10 year old MBP last Friday.
I have had a look, the one I am eyeing up Tufty, is £200 less compared to Apple Store. Costco are even better, £450 less without any promotions, 2% cash back in a form of a voucher, (that’s around £72.00) 2 years warranty as standard (just like JL) 1 with Apple Store naturally.

Thank you for the heads up anyhow.
Need to head over to yours neck of the woods when weather warms up a bit.

Here's my take on it.

This is for work.

That means that a slower one will take up more of your valuable working time.

That time is money.

Going to the 'flagship' model is £400 more (at Apple prices, probably less at Cosco prices), or £1.10 per day over the course of a year.

You see where I'm going with this.... :D

Back
Top Bottom