would it work...

botus

Reaction score
took the bike for a short run and got the usual winter frost bite - with ones fingers taking the brunt of the hell. If you want to remain alive you must cover the levers and then your finger end up freezing due to the cold metal levers stealing any heat you can push to your extremities - Long held the view a bike need these heated way before the almost utterly pointless heated grips, which have almost no effect.

Add in after 15 years, I eventually worked out BM handguards actually make things colder than not having any handguards - as they induce turbulence that ends up making your whole hand really cold... it was only last summer I guessed this is a deliberate design feature - to stop summer soggy gloves episodes... thus completely intentional - but not much cop in the depths of winter...

Anyway thinking of decent budget solutions, like a foam cover (but that would be a disaster), when it twigged, Honda worked and solved this at least 50 years ago.... in the good old days, Honda's had a plastic covering on the clutch and brake levers.... So heat shrink sleeve to the rescue ?

They look the dogs.
Have you fitted these to a GS by any chance
The fitting is generic, they come with lots of bolts, spacers and washers, I used them on my old 800GS and now have them on my Transalp. If you can accept the one size fits all for the few months of winter you will not be disappointed, better than the full mitts that cover your hands and you can see all the controls, well worth the money.

The fitting is generic, they come with lots of bolts, spacers and washers, I used them on my old 800GS and now have them on my Transalp. If you can accept the one size fits all for the few months of winter you will not be disappointed, better than the full mitts that cover your hands and you can see all the controls, well worth the money.
Cheers mate for the quick reply.

I get bar muffs work (when not soggy) - and have come on light years, from the stuff they made in 1980s

but I'm talking about 20 mins not a few hours - worse still I noticed the draft from the 2011 GSA with its cheaper and nastier fit std guards are even colder and far draftier than the ones they put on the HP models.... it must be for summer use

still think shrink fit would be a great idea

The amount you bitch & theorise about issues with the BMW design department why keep it, just buy a Honda FFS.

Al.

funny how they keep fixing ALL the points I raise on later models - instead of us having to put up with rubbish, created from all the limp wrist brand fans with no brains that have held them back for so many years !

Another option, as I find handlebar muffs awkward.
So fitted the optional high hand guard tops and made fibreglass infills to deflect the air away from the finger tips there is a groove around the edges to fit over the lip on the handguards and held in place with 2 X M3 screws.
Made from sacrificial moulds so not pretty but they work.
Perhaps an opening for someone with a 3D printer. :)

20240114_101516.jpg20240114_101655.jpg

Someone on this forum used to sell muffs. Val123 or something like that. Think they were turbanaco or a name along those lines. I had a set on my 07 gsa, just took the top handguard section off and they slipped over and had nylon straps/buckles to hold them in place. Was 16 years ago so my memory may be slightly off.

I like Mistacats mods, thought about it myself but having the manufacturing skills of a monkey I never did anything. My fingers do hang in the breeze as the bottom doesn't go down very far.

Slipperyeel is good with a 3D printer.

Additions: Tucano Urbano was the name. Seems they don't do the ones I had anymore, seem to be neoprene now and different style .

funny how they keep fixing ALL the points I raise on later models - instead of us having to put up with rubbish, created from all the limp wrist brand fans with no brains that have held them back for so many years !
You really think that your exclusive ramblings on an internet forum drive the manufacturing decisions forward :blast

Not that they have many R&D / engineering teams that do it for a living ...

Tucano Urbano R319 Muffs on a Hexhead……. Problem solved.

Just finally persuaded a work colleague to fit muffs to his Honda 750X and now he’s got them he can’t stop raving about how warm and dry his mitts are. When you know, you know.

Back
Top Bottom