XL500R

g00ner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is that a classic yet?

Anyway, anyone with knowledge or owned one? Looking for a cheapish hack for local pottering and maybe take to interesting not too technical green lanes in my van. I’ve seen the XT500 for sale on here but worry it’s beyond my technical nous to rebuild /put right if needed. Oxford Classics have a nice one, just considering it though wondering about spares and longecity. Not looking to make money, just own a bike that was current when I was a kid and lusted after. My first goes on a bike we’re on a Honda XL185 and Kawa KE100 but I’m 40kgs heavier now.. :D

Oxford classics had a DT175 a few weeks ago, may still have. As a competent green laner of your era, personally I'd fancy that.

I had two XR500's for green lining, but 25+ years ago, quite a brute, and fun to start, usually would, but quite a kick. The cam runs directly in the head, no bearing, so will be well worn by now. There was a business refurbishing the heads with bearings for the cams to run in, but that was many moons ago. Unless desperate for a one there are similar vintage green liners which would be more sophisticated (but not by much), DR350 for example

Attachments

• Honda XR500s.jpeg
    Honda XR500s.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 30
I had two XR500's for green lining, but 25+ years ago, quite a brute, and fun to start, usually would, but quite a kick. The cam runs directly in the head, no bearing, so will be well worn by now. There was a business refurbishing the heads with bearings for the cams to run in, but that was many moons ago. Unless desperate for a one there are similar vintage green liners which would be more sophisticated (but not by much), DR350 for example
That’s good information, thanks. Chris (2gses) put together a lovely DR400s a couple of years ago which caught my eye too. Could be an option

I've got an '82 XR500 which is pretty much the same, spares can be found via David Silver or CMSNL. Go and check some of the prices to get an idea of running cost, all the consumables are cheap but start damaging it green laning and things will get expensive.
Things to look for are bad brakes because the drums have worn out, cam chain rattles and corrosion on the D.I.D. ally rims (any sign of corrosion on the outside and they will mostly likely be scrap once you look on the inside)
Is it this one
XL500R

I've got an '82 XR500 which is pretty much the same, spares can be found via David Silver or CMSNL. Go and check some of the prices to get an idea of running cost, all the consumables are cheap but start damaging it green laning and things will get expensive.
Things to look for are bad brakes because the drums have worn out, cam chain rattles and corrosion on the D.I.D. ally rims (any sign of corrosion on the outside and they will mostly likely be scrap once you look on the inside)
Is it this one
XL500R
That’s the one. Planning to go and take a look this weekend if I can. Only real concern since it’s just for local bumbling is starting it!

Had some great fun on mine back in the day. Was a bugger to start when hot.
Could pull some good wheelies on it up through the gearbox.
20201117_053556.jpg

This is mine.
Almost all original.
Unrestored.
I totally enjoy pottering about on it in the summer months.
40 years old now so I'm looking at getting it MOT and tax exempt this year. I've owned it for almost 28 years.
IMG20230611080435.jpgIMG_20230528_070320.jpgIMG20230527173244.jpg

You inspired me to have a bimble on my Honda trail bike, this afternoon for a few miles
5a2fe1f53caccefe3944af0d5fb620c6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom