Bluetooth/Autocom

Rhino

I might have a cheap soloution to conecting a mobile phone via bluetooth to an autocom system. I curently have a K750i but am looking to get a XDA Orbit soon. I also have a works phone (Orange SPV) When I had a 6310i I found the adpators for it kept falling out due to phone being in the map pocket on My tank bag.

I had been looking at converting a cheap over the ear bluetooth heasdset and breaking out the wires for the headsets speaker and mic too a 2.5 socket and then pluging My autocoms phone lead into that. Whislt looking around for a suitable headset to try I stumbled across the Sony Erricson. HBH-200.

http://www.qfonic.com/product_info.php?products_id=676

It already had a 2.5 socket on it ! As the device is designed like a halfway house between a wired headset and a bluetooth set up.
Only mod I have had to do is shave off some of the plastic around the plug on the Autocom lead so it would push all the way in as the socket is recessed in to the end of the unit.
I tried it this morning on the way in to work and it worked perfectly. I am now going to look at a way of mounting the unit so I can answer calls by pressing the button on the unit and see the caller ID display.
The unit also apears to work whislt on charge, so I will also be looking at wiring in the incar charger that is available to the acessory sockt on My GS12.

Looks good to me, do not forget though you will need to make sure the phone lead contains isolation for when you bike power the module. If not the phone will be very noisy due the phone lead picking up all of the bikes interference and carrying it through the system.

Rhino - Thanks for the tip. I had been thinking along similar lines to yourself. I've ordered one too to give it a try:beer:

Thanks Rhino -

Mine has now arrived and it works perfectly with the autocom and my Nokia. I've clipped the unit to my cross bar bag (which also houses a bike powered kenwood). Obviously this location is not theft secure or waterproof, but it'll do for now.

At this stage I'm not going to bother bike powering the HBH. Ive not tested the battery life, but surely it should last a few days use between charges. I'll just charge from the mains periodically and take a car charger with me on camping trips etc.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who can't stand the thought of a phone on a bike, but I find it very useful. Especially when someone gets left behind at a fuel stop or gets lost on a group ride. I had a lot of problems with the cable adapter on the base of my nokia which made the phone fiddly to use and unreliable on the bike. I can recommend this set up to anyone who wants / needs an easy phone set up on the bike.

What lead do you use?

Just the standard autocom phone lead with a 2.5mm jack that came with the autocom. As rhino said, just needed to shave 1mm of plastic off the end of the plug so that it seats fully into the bluetooth module.

Ah, I thoght the output would be all wrong for that. Must dig mine out and give it a go.

I have one of these devices but neither of my phones - a Nokia 6230 and 6021- cannot find any devices (audio enhancements).
I have the bluetooth icon displayed.
What am I doing wrong

Works fine with a Nokia 6310i. Should be OK with any bluetooth enabled phone.

I assume you've put both the HBH and the phone in pairing mode to set up the initial bluetooth link. Once this is done, the phone should connect whenever the HBH is powered up and the phone is in range.

I can see from the instructions that I should get a "Ready to Add" message on the display, but I cannot get this to show - so presumably it is not yet in pairing mode.
My two Bluetooth phones can "find and pair with" each other easily enough.

If I give you a call could you talk me through the process?

I can see from the instructions that I should get a "Ready to Add" message on the display, but I cannot get this to show - so presumably it is not yet in pairing mode.
My two Bluetooth phones can "find and pair with" each other easily enough.

If I give you a call could you talk me through the process?

Sorted via the Sony Ericsson help line, thanks

Just connected up the HBH to my BMW Navigator III and a nokia 6230 - works great! Connected through socket B on the Autocom 1282 connector into the super pro avi. This is a much better solution than my previous one of breaking open a Motorola headset and soldering a plug on to the mic and earpiece wires!

One slight issue though is the audio is a little quiet, although voice over the mic is great.

Interestingly when I called Autocom they told me there was no way of hooking up a Nav III !

Back
Top Bottom