just for pc's, no apples?

drummingbiker

I bought my first GS nine months back, and am wanting to get a GPS for it, does anyone know if there are any that will work with an apple mac computer , or as I suspect are they only compatible with pc's?

As far as I'm aware you need a PC or an Intel Mac running parrallels or bootcamp. What type of Mac do you have?

I did load a Virtual Machine on an iMac G5 but it was far too slow to download maps to my Garmin 60C. Now I have parrallels on a Macbook and it works very well.

A GPS for use with a MAC???

You'll be wanting a dumbed down vegetarian GPS with a swappable red and turquoise casing then :augie

You ride a 1200, don't you ;)

:augie

A GPS for use with a MAC???

You'll be wanting a dumbed down vegetarian GPS with a swappable red and turquoise casing then :augie

You ride a 1200, don't you ;)

:augie

I ride a 1200, I'm a Veggie, I would love a GPS that works with my Mac!!!!!!

You have not had the displeasure of meeting me yet Bill, and it feels nothing short of a personal attack!!!!!!

Bloody mods...... :spitfire :spitfire :spitfire

;)

it's a power book G4............ I emailed the tomtom people who told me: 'the role of the computer plays a minor role in the use of the tomtom rider' which dosen't really tell me much, I wanted them to tell me how it would affect my usage.
I'm completely new to GPS and don't know a thing about how to use them, but I can see the benefit, anyone got some info' as to what a computer does in the use of one, and is it an essential part of operation?

And before you say, i've already decided against tomtom due to the stuff i've read here, thanks

it's a power book G4............ I emailed the tomtom people who told me: 'the role of the computer plays a minor role in the use of the tomtom rider' which dosen't really tell me much, I wanted them to tell me how it would affect my usage.
I'm completely new to GPS and don't know a thing about how to use them, but I can see the benefit, anyone got some info' as to what a computer does in the use of one, and is it an essential part of operation?

And before you say, i've already decided against tomtom due to the stuff i've read here, thanks

OK, serious answer.......

you can operate a 'basic' type GPS without a PC no problem, and you'll be able to get from A to B, find things it knows about in its database and so on, but you'd be missing out on the 'advanced' features, swapping data, routes, uploading maps, tweaking routes on the PC and being able to examine the logs of previous trips, the timings and speeds over sections and even the heights you got to that you can extract from most Garmin units.

It's going to depend on what sort of user you think you might be......personally, I'd not get a unit I couldn't plug into a PC and mess about with.

You can't (apparently, I'm not a Mac person ;) ) use Mapsource (the Garmin prog that runs the GPS and holds the maps etc) on a Mac.......there's a thread HERE that should tell you all the bad news :(

that may be of interest to you and a lot of others HERE AS WELL

TomTOm stuff works fine on a mac - they have a mac version of their installer / manager software (TomTom Home) which does exactly what it should.

I haven't got a 'rider' but presume it works just like their other stuff (I use TT on a Treo 680, RAM-mounted in an 'aquabox 2' just FYI - though I would much prefer a dedicated box with a brighter screen; but at least on bright sunny days, I can still hear it through the autocom :)

now in response to my own querstion, for those of you wanting to use tomtom rider with a mac, it does work according to tomtom themselves, you can use all the features which come with the cd included in the box, or downloads via the website, you must have osx 10.3 or above, this is info' directly from the company.
To those who replied, thanks for all your help

Back
Top Bottom