Doing Level 1, advice please...

JDH

Reaction score
Doing BMW Level 1 in May, and have a question for previous participants if that's okay. Going to hire the kit from the school, but in the blurb they refer to added knee protection being advisable. Is this also available for hire from them? Any other tips about gear to buy/hire for the event?

Cheers,

JDH

standard kit

Standard kit is fine with protection.but you will get muddy:D
Best tip is for maximum enjoyment use a 650 not a 1200..................you will be totally knackered picking it up dragging it !! and in my opinion you will get more out of the 2 days on the smaller bike:thumb2 enjoy yourself:beerjug:

...but with a 12 you're halfway back to vertical already with those pots sticking out of the sides...;)

You will get hot. When I did my L2 last year the air temperature was 34C which was an absolute nightmare. Pray for overcast and cold, but not wet.

The major thing for equipment is the ankle support you get with motocross boots. Make sure your armour is properly adjusted so *when* you fall it's in the right place. I needed two stitches in my elbow because the armour slipped round as I fell.

I found the R1200 was easier than the F650--there's not much weight difference and as David says, you're halfway to upright with the pots. However, they now have the G series bikes which might be interesting. I'm using a Xchallenge on the Brecon Beacons Aventure next week.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I'm praying already for the weather not to be too hot. I'm glad you said that about the 12, I know it will be a bit heavier, but I want to gain confidence on the same bike I have at home. Good tip about the armour being secured correctly, thanks.

John

Forgot to say thanks to David and Matkat for advice. Bring on the mud:thumb2

John

On my course our instructor said that he personally felt the 12 was the better bike for the terrain - more stable in a beginers hands. I don't know whether or not that is true, but I certainly found the 12 easy to ride (just for reference I was an off-road novice, normally riding an 1150ADV.).

Encouraging news for me David. How about this added knee protection they mention in the blurb, do they supply or should I buy summat? Bones aren't as good as they used to be :rob so I want to give them every chance;)

John

I don't remember knee protection being mentioned when I did my course (Oct 05), and I didn't find it a problem - I think the most important thing, as others have mentioned, is boots. You absolutely must have proper good fitting off-road boots. I had a pair of my own, and if I was doing the course again and I didn't have any I think I would get some and break them in beforehand.

As for the weather, just prey for dry! My course was perfect - crisp, cool autumnal days :thumb

Me.jpg

Charlie.jpg

I did the level 1 course just 12 months ago in fact it was the first course of 2006. Nice new bikes with zero miles on the clock.

For the 2 whole days it absolutely hammered down. In fact we were soaked through before ever getting to the caravan to start

The general consensus from the instructors was that we probably got more out of it due to the difficult terrain and wet. I.E. if you can ride off road well in the mud and wet it would be easier in the dry?

Still got very hot although heated grips were great to keep some feeling in my fingers.

I took the 650 last time although had a turn on the 1200 at lunchtime. I am going again in a few weeks and will be doing the same course again but this time on the bigger bike. Read into that what you want.

Have an open mind and have just fun.

Just an indication of what to expect

Attachments

• 101_080001.jpg
    101_080001.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 205
I used their knee protection last April. Just as well really! :eek:

Good boots (MX stylee) are also critical.

Take a Camelbak or similar if you have one.

Avoid using a standard road full face lid as you'll get horribly sweaty!

Don't worry about crashing ... you will!

DavidHale - I see you had Gary as your instructor. He is a top bloke. Not sure about the lad at the far left though! :rolleyes:

Kai

I used their knee protection last April. Just as well really! :eek:

Good boots (MX stylee) are also critical.

Avoid using a standard road full face lid as you'll get horribly sweaty!

Don't worry about crashing ... you will!

DavidHale - I see you had Gary as your instructor. He is a top bloke. Not sure about the lad at the far left though! :rolleyes:

Kai

Thanks, so, they do supply additional knee protection then?.

Bald one

If you look at David's group photo im in the centre with knee pads taped on over the trousers, saves the wear and tear on trousers helps them stay in position to. Wear lightweight gloves, which allow good feel.
I was also on the L2 with Tim, I carried a bum bag for the bottles of water. It was really scorching, keep taking in the fluids and you will feel better and less tired at the end of the day. Protective glasses are better than goggles in the heat they dont make you sweat so much.
Have fun.

Thanks, so, they do supply additional knee protection then?.

Yes, there is knee protection - the hire kit is OK but it's like you'd expect after a lot of sweaty blokes have fallen off in the mud in it.

I'm doing Level 1 again in June (did it Sep last year as an absolute beginner) and got one of the places on the NOG trip in June.

Got me own shiny gear this time - must try to scuff it up a bit before I get there. I've already lost the screws on the metal bits on the toes of me Rallye boots digging the toe into the tarmac, so I'm trying to find some replacments for those.

In the end, and after much research, I bought the Ewan and Charley kit - it'll be alright when it gets dirty.

haven't got gloves yet though - anyone got any recommendations?

Kai

That's a good idea! :thumb

As for Gary - yep, he could make the bike dance!

Shane - unfortunately I'm on the wrong computer otherwise I'd post up the pics of you during one of your horizontal moments :D

Horizontal? Me? must have been waiting for you lot.

Hi Dave,. hope you are well.

Presume pics show my best side!:roll

Back
Top Bottom