Ireland to Norway

Anthony Byrne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Finally time came round to get my backside on the bike and going. The plan was to ride from Wexford in Ireland to Arctic Circle visitor centre and take in as much as I could along the way. The plans changed a fair bit along the way as you'll read below.

Day 1-Cherbourg to Honfluer
The ferry was due to dock at 12pm but ran 3ish hours late getting us off by 3.30 pm, this left me with a light trip of to get me to the town of Honfluer maybe 2 hours away and 200km. The short trip was nice, you hit into some small quiet towns along the way as well as a blast along the motorway. A basic campsite but at €6 its a steal, clean facilities and well ran. After setting up camp and a quick stroll in the town the rain came in fast and heavy so I retreated to my humble home for the night.
IMG_4067.jpeg

Day 2-Honfluer to Netherlands
The rain poured into the next day although I was still buzzing with excitement so it didn't slow me down too much. It was to be a few days of motorway riding so I took the route through Belgium to Holland in the hope of a not being as bored. The miles rattled off quickly enough and I found a quiet campsite not too far from the motorway. The rain had disappeared and it became a glorious evening.
IMG_4075.jpeg

Day 3-Netherlands into Germany
A lot of motorway riding to bring me to northern Germany, I found a site for the night. Grabbed some food had a quick wonder about and hit the hay for an early start.
IMG_4086.jpeg

Day 4-Germany into Denmark and then Sweden
I managed to blast into Denmark and shoot along to get into Sweden where the scenery had started to become a lot better to look at. I found a beautiful site near Angelhom in south Sweden, they ground was a bugger though, I went through several pegs on my new Lone Rider tent, they weren't being bashed in by any means. I guess being aluminium they are more delicate than the usual steel ones I have used. The local beach was amazing
IMG_4099.jpeg

Day 5-Sweden into Norway
Finally I was in Norway and I could add the little sticker to my top box:cool:. Like a kid at xmas by this stage, after months of planning I was finally in Norway. The plan at this point was to head west and make my way towards Geirangerfjord and head north along the coast eventually to the Arctic Circle visitor centre and then maybe Lofoten if I had the time.
IMG_4113.jpeg

Sadly that plan was short lived as I hurt my back doing a bit of work on the bike. I was in agony at this point and couldn't move, I have a bad back and a handful of times as year I get/have Sciatica and the nerve becomes inflamed. Its a b@stard when it happens but usually calms after a couple of weeks. Now at this point im sitting on a bench not able to stand and worrying the trip is over:cry:. After a few hours I know im in trouble but I couldn't give up so I grab the maps and look to form a new plan. A little heartbroken I decide to change the route, the plan always was to hit the visitor centre and I decided I would trim the route to at least make that happen. The trip was for charity so at the very least I felt I had to hit the target of the visitor centre and the more scenic parts could come round at another point in time or if I felt better in a few days I could then decide to go west. Things got a little trickier like pitching and packing the tent so I downed some painkillers every few hours and stopped on an hourly cycle to stretch out as best I could.
I was determined to keep going and make the most of it, I knew I wasn't dying and I would have to shut up moaning to get on with it.

Day 6-Norway
I was getting the miles in and starting to climb into the mountains near Atna, this is where the big 10m tall silver moose statue is. I managed to get a site a little further north and found a beautiful spot by the river in a valley. The roads were super clear of snow but the mountains around offered a glorious view along the way. Lakes were snow covered and frozen in places with the odd view of some reindeer along the way.
IMG_4128.jpeg

Day 7-cheat day
After cold night of 2-3 degrees I opted for a half day riding and booked into a hotel in Trondheim, this gave me a chance to rest the back and get a good warm meal into me. As I was going to be pushing to hit the visitor centre on day 8. The scenario was epic, down at sea level the grass was green and water flowing clear whilst anything above 250 m had huge chunks of ice in the lakes and some frozen completely. Waterfalls sprang from rock faces and the vast openness was beautiful.

Day 8
Ill allow the pics to show this part off the story
IMG_4161.jpeg
IMG_4167.jpeg

All in it was 15 days with 7000km, 3 of those days were lost to the ferry to and from Ireland. I was disappointed to miss the west of Norway but I was happy to have completed the trip.

Pieces of kit that proved their worth
Keis heated gear, I had my jacket and pants. The jacket was used every day whilst the pants as I got closer north
Merino wool, t-shirts, long sleeve tops and socks. Its a game changer for long journeys, air it out for an hour each evening and you'll get days from it
Forma adv tourer boot, this is my second pair. The first are still going strong after 4 years or so but I wanted to get a fresh pair for the trip.

Lastly ill add a video below, there's a lot more pics and snippets if you fancy a watch.

Ride safe

Anthony

Good man yourself..... Have to get back to Norway. Used to be so easy with the ferry from Newcastle to Kristiansand. Not so handy now :(

Nice one Anthony! A bad back is a hoor! Well done on battling through it and I hope you are back to normal service now.

Thanks for the replies, as for the bad back I think I surprised myself. Had I of been at home I would of had the wife hounded with my moaning LOL.

Warmer climate for my next trip though

Great stuff - 4 of us from Northern Ireland rode to the Arctic Circle in Norway back in 2011 - a great trip and memories. Made easier by using the then Harwich to Denmark crossing, then the impressive bridge linking Denmark to Sweden.

Great video…. “Day two…. This was meant to be the real great part of the trip….. the real sunny bit, where I’d be wearing shorts….“ Then the resigned, Irish accented, “Honest to God…. “ Excellent and summed it up so well.

Last edited:
What a terrific little video, a perfect mix of you, the scenery, talkie bits & musicy bits.
TY for taking the time to create & post it brother. :aidan

That was a decent read. Sorry to see your back was not in fine order but you did very well old fruit. Good effort is what I say.

Good man yourself..... Have to get back to Norway. Used to be so easy with the ferry from Newcastle to Kristiansand. Not so handy now :(
Heard the ferry is starting again in 2026
At least there’s rumours

Great pics and video Anthony. On my bucket list. Probably in 2026 when hopefully they start the new ferry. Long way round to go from Northern Ireland

Back
Top Bottom