Rukka or BMW or Leathers?

_pi_

Looking for some advice on safety/comfort.

Current kit is Rukka (R3000 Jacket and Tour trousers - bought both on sale as they end of line :) ) - great for my usual riding which is commuting on my Dakar about 8 miles/way in London. Keeps me dry and I feel safe at < 40mph.

Iv never been down the road (but was bumped once by a bus at about 10mph).

Just wondering if i should upgrade to higher end BMW/rukka (above kit is basic Rukka) or leathers for some of the higher speed riding I do on weekends. My concern is road rash - the Rukka is mostly single layer cordura but has good armour. The higher end Rukka and BMW have Armacor which is meant to be tougher stuff. Leathers speak for themselves.

Im not too bothered going for another set of motorcycle clothes as I would imagine ther Rukka kit is excellent for offroading.

I just want to buy the right kit.

Advice/experience/suggestions appreciated.

Anyone been down the road in Rukka at 50mph+?

Whilst in Germany, last week, one of our party threw his GS down the road. He got a broken collar bone and seven broken ribs and slid across the road. His Atlantis jacket and trousers were virtually unmarked - no road rash!

Rod

It does depend on what leathers you are considering .

a poor qualilty set of leathers will give less protection than a good set of armoured cordura's go for at least 500 denier cordura if you go down that route :D

Anyone been down the road in Rukka at 50mph+?

I think this guy has.

I've bought the Rukka Smart Riders Outfit a few months ago. It has kept me completely dry during torrential downpours and is comfortable in the heat.

It comes with some kind of air bladder/Phase Change Material under jacket thing which you can inflate to keep you nice and warm. The theory is sound, but I havent tried it yet to be sure. The Phase Change Material works though. Kind of like a personal climate buffer zone, according to their sales literature it was used on the Apollo Lunar Missions. 1960's technolgy then :rolleyes:

Oh, and it is bloomin expensive. But does fit me very well, and I do feel very good wearing it! :)

Mike

I've been using the BMW Streetwotsit suit in Armacor for 2 years now and I remain impressed.

The PCM liner converts the suit from summer to winter pretty effectively and it lets not a drop of water in whatever the weather. The suit simply sheds water so it doesn't dries damn fast.

I've added the optional back and thigh armour but I haven't tested it by falling off yet. RIDE magazine tests said leather is best but fabric with armour works. I buy the argument that high melting point fabrics will slide further before quitting.

Yer pays yer not inconsequential amount of money and takes yer choice

Recently we had our annual icicle ride from midnight to dawn in the middle of winter. Whilst I used a BMW electric vest to keep warm, one of our members decided to manufacture his own air suit.

It consisted of a layer of bubble pack attached to a non motorcycling vest via some ingenious hand stitching. By all accounts it was a success.

From personal experience I don't think you can beat leather for sliding.

I currently use Kangaroo leather trousers combined with a BMW Kalahari jacket without liner for warm weather. For wet and cool weather I put the jacket liner in and pull on some cheapish but excellent quality 100% waterproof pants. For cold weather I add long johns and an electric vest.

This seems to be a reasonable compromise between spending squillions of moolah for the best and being a good compromise in the value for money stakes, for my money.

Mick.

waterhouse said:
I've been using the BMW Streetwotsit suit in Armacor for 2 years now and I remain impressed.

The PCM liner converts the suit from summer to winter pretty effectively and it lets not a drop of water in whatever the weather. The suit simply sheds water so it doesn't dries damn fast.

I've added the optional back and thigh armour but I haven't tested it by falling off yet. RIDE magazine tests said leather is best but fabric with armour works. I buy the argument that high melting point fabrics will slide further before quitting.

Yer pays yer not inconsequential amount of money and takes yer choice

Iv dont some research and it seems Armacor is as tough as leather according to some independent tests. I saw that RIDE article and that is what got me thinking i should consider Armacor or leather - silly RIDE didnt even test high quality stuff (Rukka), say the materials used on the jackets tested, or mention that Armacor exists.

Quote from Rukka website:

Strengthenings
Extra materials not needed because Armacor itself is as durable as leather (ADAC tested spring 2002)

ADAC is a German automotive association.

I ride at work all year round and this year have been knocked off an amazing four times!!!!!!there are some right Wa**ers on the roads,in all but one of these I was wearing Rukka Classic trousers there cheapest ones and coincidently the only style they do in extra long,they have been brilliant I have been bruised but no more than to be expected overall I have been unscathed and have notrhing but praise for this high quality kit......as in all cases "fit" is the key issue if you choose Fabric over leather it has to fit well and snug so when "it" happens the garment is not flapping about rolling off the joints its supposedly protecting..........ps Rukka is truely waterproof exspensive but you pay for what you get......I also have BKS leathers which are excellent but rarely get chosen over the Rukka!!:D

bmw gear..

i have the ATLANTIS 3 suit..

which i find great..

the jacket is comfortable and fully waterproof, i use it everyday and give it the odd brush down to keep clean..

i got the suit because i use my bike to go to meetings and i got a bit sick of the "couriers use the other entrance please" comment.

so i got the atlantis suit, one because its more casual and comfortable and i can wear the pants to meetings and not look too much out of place..

the pants are great, they leaked a bit at the crotch seam but bmw gave me a new set no problem, and that was after 8 months or so..

the jacket is fine, i wear a neck scarf when its cold and i have a headed liner for wintertime if it get really cold,

and for really messy days i wear a dainese gortex jacket

overall.. the bmw atlantis suit is expensive but the fit and quality are great.. as for crashing, i havn't yet but have head a few reports that they are pretty damn good in a spill..

my only worry is that the jacket is a bit loose on the arms so the pads dont really stay in place,, in wintertime with lining its ok, but summer time its a bit loose and thats my only concern..

regards

pthagonal

Textile or Leather???

I think its a matter of horses for courses...but I NEVER feel safe without my leathers. You take the choice, you loose the skin if it all goes tits-up...

I have a Rukka.......it's not here at the moment so i can't tell you what sort it is exactly but it looks identical to the one in the thread abovehttp://www.rukka.com/motor/learntby.html and from his description I'd say it was the same.

I went down the A2 at Kidbrooke in it at about 60 two years ago, seperated from the funduro i was riding by the intervention of a dumper truck and a collision with the armco......

Net result, one ripped zip ('twas open 'cos it was where i kept my sun glasses for easy access) and slight scuffing on an arm (above the armour bit), but no road rash.....although it's a two piece i was wearing leather jeans with an incompatible zip so the two parts weren't fastened together yet the Jacket didn't ride up to expose my back...but then TBH i have no idea how i was orientated as i slid along so I may have been head first. (nice streak of blue paint from the side of the dumper truck doesn't tell me much apart from that the helmet saved my bonce too)

I liked the Rukka a lot..it was cool enough to use in the summer without the inner bit and warm enough in the winter with it in...I'm 6 foot 4 but it fitted me fine, it has plenty of pockets and it was totally windproof and i never got wet either.

It does get a bit niffy after a few week's wear but it comes up nice and fresh from a trip through the washing machine (try doing that with your leather!) and overall I'm very happy with it.....I'd certainly get another one.

I think it cost me about 300 quid from Prestige BM's Bexleyheath.

Atlantis 3

I also use an Atlantis 3 - love the kit, should do for the price but there are faults you should know about before you consider buying.

For complete waterproof protection you NEED the goretex liner, the suit will NOT be completely waterproof without it. Makes total cost of kit not far short of a grand! Worth arguing for a discount in view of fact that BM KNOW of the zip problem (see below)

The next model will have modified air vent zips in the bicep area, the current ones are not totally waterproof - the new ones I am told WILL be.

Remove & check armour regularly, mine started to break up at the knees after 9 months, replaced under warranty - but you dont want to find this out when you hit the tarmac, which you dont want to do anyway!

The pocket zip pulls have a habit of falling off, however the dealer can replace these easily FOC & if you have any serious problems the kit is guaranteed for 2 years.

Agree with Pthagonal, sleeves are a bit loose without liner in. Thought of getting a mod done @ local leatherstitch shop, you know the kind - strap with buckle to tighten up sleve. But of course then you're sure to invalidate your warranty.

I also know someone who went down the road in one leaving himself & the leathers virtually unmarked.

There thats put you off anyway!!! Despite these niggling problems they feel so secure that I wouldn't change back to fabric - they are very heavy showerproof without the liners & torrentproof with them in, as proved in Germany earlier this year! Oh & the leather dries out remarkably quickly as even when wet it actually absorbs very little water.

Cheers
Ade

Atlantis 3

An addendum to the above, the leathers also "give" quite a lot i.e. stretch, so make sure they are a tight fit when you try them on, or they'll flap around in a few months. I was "fortunate" in that because of the problems I'd had my dealer replaced my jacket with a new one after about 6 months, so I was able to get one size smaller which is now a nice fit - oh & the trousers take hip & thigh armour as well, but this is an extra! not optional IMHO, try to get it chucked in with the price you negotiate if you go down this route.

Cheers
Ade

Back
Top Bottom