Dukes Pass

skyenet

Reaction score
We are so lucky in Scotland to have some great biking roads. One of my favourite stretches is the Dukes Pass which for those that don't know about is rollercoaster ride through the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park from Aberfoyle to Callander via Brig O' Turk. Its within easy reach of Motorrad Central West in Bishopbriggs. Head North for Torrance and then take the B822 to Lennoxtown. At the t-junction turn left onto the A891 and head into Lennoxtown. After a petrol station on the right hand side take the B822 signposted for Fintry. This road rises up the side of the Campsies with good views. Once at the top there are some lovely fast winding roads over towards Fintry. At Fintry take the B822 towards Kippen. A few miles further take the small road signposted for Amprior. At Amprior turn right onto the A811 and then a few hundred yards later turn left onto the B8034 to Port of Monteith. At Port of Moneith turn left onto the A87 and head for Aberfoyle. Follow the main road through Aberfoyle and at the end of the high street it turns sharp right and goes up hill. Once out of the built up area you have entered the Dukes Pass. There are car parks at both ends of the Dukes Pass so easy enough to turn around and have another go. One night I did 3-4 runs over the pass in a Lotus Elise.

Its just like a rollercoaster and great fun on the GS. I found out about it from fellow Elisers when I had a Lotus Elise. It is exceptionaly well suited to them as in even the tightest of corners they go round them like go karts. The advantage on the GS though is that you can also go on the 7 mile forrest trail drive (not so much fun in a low Elise)

Here are some photos of my first time on my R1200GS on the Dukes Pass. Sorry about the bike getting in the way of the views but hey it was my first few days with the bike.

dukespass1.jpg

dukespass2.jpg

dukespass3.jpg

dukespass4.jpg

dukespass5.jpg

dukespass6.jpg

dukespass7.jpg

dukespass8.jpg

dukespass9.jpg

Went back one Friday night to meet up with some Lotus drivers who were having a BBQ meet at the pass. The weather was not so good and eventually it stopped raining long enough to try out my new mounting position for my bullet camera on the bike. Road was pretty greasy so took it easy. Will get back up to get some more video when its dry. Here are some stills from the video. Video would not upload to stage 6 but will try again. At the end of this post there is a link to video of my old Lotus Elise on the Pass.

DukesPassBMW08.JPG

DukesPassBMW01.JPG

DukesPassBMW02.JPG

DukesPassBMW04.JPG

DukesPassBMW05.JPG

DukesPassBMW06.JPG

DukesPassBMW07.JPG

DukesPassBMW09.JPG

Video footage of an Elise on Dukes Pass

http://stage6.divx.com/user/skyenet/video/1325436/Dukes-Pass-in-a-Lotus-Elise-S2

Ye gods...! That there GS has stereo speakers on it....!!! :eek:

Can't manage to squeeze speakers into my BMW Enduro helmet so fitted a set on the bike :thumb

Most sane people settle for earphones. There may well be home for you over on Adventure Rider.....:rolleyes:

Must try the route which is quite nearby - think I know the roads quite well as far as Fintry. I'll keep my eyes open for low-flying Elises!

dunard

If you do the forest drive it brings you back onto the start of the twisties :D

Managed to get a clip of my R1200GS uploaded through my imac account. I think you might need quicktime installed to watch it.

Forgot to put on some stirring music on the stereo speakers :blast

http://web.mac.com/skyeweb/iWeb/panasonic/DukesPassBMW.html

Skyenet, the heads didn't scrape even once in that clip, you must try harder!:D

Came over there myself with a friend on a Fazer. Got to the end and there was no sign of him. I was just about to go back fearing the worst when he arrived. The pegs were scraping so badly that he slowed down. My heads weren'd down either.

Skyenet, the heads didn't scrape even once in that clip, you must try harder!:D

Came over there myself with a friend on a Fazer. Got to the end and there was no sign of him. I was just about to go back fearing the worst when he arrived. The pegs were scraping so badly that he slowed down. My heads weren'd down either.

The roads were very greasy and I can assure you that I had a few brownpants moments during the run over and back again. One Elise had a slight off that night as well. The quicktime video dosn't show just how damp the road was.

Don't know why the higher resolution DivX ones I had didn't upload to stage 6. As I said I am heading back over when its dry and will get some video of that sorted out. Maybe even manage it tomorrow. Did you view my Elise video of Dukes Pass? Was trying harder that night.
http://stage6.divx.com/user/skyenet/video/1325436/Dukes-Pass-in-a-Lotus-Elise-S2

Hi Guys

Never been off-road with the GS and the Duke's Pass is only 30mins from the house. I fancy a run up there later today or sometime on Sunday if the weather holds. Can you tell me how to get on to the forrest trail and the route it takes? Multimap isn't clear and I don't have a road atlas handy.

Cheers

Can you tell me how to get on to the forrest trail and the route it takes?

Head up the dukes pass from aberfoyle. Once you get to the top of the main climb it levels out a bit. There is a small cottage on the left of a right hand bend. Continue for about half a mile and the entrance is on your right, it has large monolithic type obelisks at the entrance so you cant miss it. Just follow the track and it takes you through the car park and onto the forest drive. There is a picnic area half way round with toilets. The track exits about 2-3 miles south of the trossachs hotel so you still get a lot of the twisty bits of the main road.

Back
Top Bottom