FM Radio

bobby

Howdy and greetings from Dublin - does anyone know where i can get an FM radio that connects through to my helmet via autocom. i want one that sits above the clocks or that area so easy to control. obviously has to be waterproof. many thanks and have a nice day!

Howdy and greetings from Dublin - does anyone know where i can get an FM radio that connects through to my helmet via autocom. i want one that sits above the clocks or that area so easy to control. obviously has to be waterproof. many thanks and have a nice day!

Hi and welcome to the site, great intro:rolleyes:

Welcome...
You might want to repost the question in the Bike Communications section as you'll get a more educated audience.

I'd do a search on Ebay for something like that... I bet you could probably get a Waterproof FM radio from Hong Kong for a few quid..

Or Maybe Sony still do their Sports line of weatherproof gear..

Filan option is to get one of those waterproof Otter boxes and use an ipod type yoke:
Have a look at this post:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109091&highlight=otter

Do you have an iPod?

If you do then there's an easy and controllable way to do it.

This one is water proof and can be stuck onto the inside of your screen .
PENGUIN.jpg

available in several designs:
Angelfish_shower_radio.jpg
dolphin.jpg

failing that maybe something like this :
6.jpg

from Here

But what about the aerial

With a lot of small radios the aerial lead is the earphone lead. Would this still work on a bike with the Autocom cable?

tom

With a lot of small radios the aerial lead is the earphone lead. Would this still work on a bike with the Autocom cable?

tom

I dont think so. I've bought three different radios over the last few years and tried to listen to them through my Autocom. Both the FM and DAB ones rely on a specific, custom headphone cable to provide the antenna. A standard, jack to jack Autocom style lead doesnt provide enough reception, and so the quality is pretty low, and frequently loses its signal.

If you were in America, you would be able to use the XM radio service, but I dont believe that will ever come to Europe.

One thing I didnt get round to trying was to use a jack doubler or splitter like this:

rk58n.jpg

And running both the supplied headphone cable as well as the Autocom connector.

Might be worth a shot; they're only a few quid...

Mike

I have no problems with mine but position and length of the Autocom connection cable makes a difference to reception. I have my Autocom under the seat and have the radio in a jacket top pocket and it works very well. If its wet I just put the radio in a polybag. I can't adjust the radio but, as with most, it is doubtful whether it would be practical with gloves anyway.

I use a small DAB radio which has the advantage of auto tuning when moving through different reception areas and has crystal cler sound. The downside is that its not too good in poor reception areas. With FM poor reception just means poor signal, with DAB it shuts off until the signal improves.

I dont think so. I've bought three different radios over the last few years and tried to listen to them through my Autocom. Both the FM and DAB ones rely on a specific, custom headphone cable to provide the antenna. A standard, jack to jack Autocom style lead doesnt provide enough reception, and so the quality is pretty low, and frequently loses its signal.

If you were in America, you would be able to use the XM radio service, but I dont believe that will ever come to Europe.

One thing I didnt get round to trying was to use a jack doubler or splitter like this:

rk58n.jpg

And running both the supplied headphone cable as well as the Autocom connector.

Might be worth a shot; they're only a few quid...

Mike

Would it be possible to run a spare lead from one side of the splitter to a small ariel :nenau

I use a nokia phone and the frequencys change to oftern with bad reception :(

With the ariel on my Landy i can pick up BBC R2 on 88.50 all over England and never need to re-tune the set , it even works in Northern France :bounce1

Might check out the small DAB units :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom