R1100GS Adventure beak protector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko

Reaction score
OK, I may regret posting this already but being an 1100 rider I quite like the Adventure beak protector. I know several 1150's have these fitted too but there's nothing out there for the 1100. So I went and bought and Adventure one to take a closer look.....

Attachments

• img_0043.jpg
    img_0043.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 2,810
Obviously this is won't fit the 1100 but I needed to see what I could come up with. I visited my local plastics and polyester company and discussed it with them and set to work trying to make a mould using the Adventure beak as a model.
The mould is made with special mould making wax and after a few hours fiddling around in the garden shed this afternoon here's the mould taking shape.

Attachments

• img_0042 (small).jpg
    img_0042 (small).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,406
Here's another shot of the mould nearing completion.

Attachments

• img_0044.jpg
    img_0044.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 2,183
Now here's the big question. Assuming I can get this into something resembling a finished item during the coming weeks are there any 1100 owners out there that would be interested. It will be finsihed in black plastic or similar material . If there are enough people interested I can talk to the company about knocking out a quantity batch to try and keep the cost down. They tell me the expensive part is making the mould so as I have pretty much done this now I hope the cost won't be too much. The B*W Adventure beak protector costs Euro 38 (GBP 25) so if I can match this price who wants one for their 1100 ?
No promises on availability or final price but I would be interested to get an indication of interest as this may help to keep the cost down.
Cheers
Gecko

That`s timing

Was putting the gs into the shed this afternoon to change the front pads and whilst standing to the left of the bike it slipped and due to the rain I couldnt hold it - end result front mudguard edge scuffed on shed door. If the price is right I`ll have one.

Got to be done

Yes I am certainly keen and especially if they could be made from a matertial that was paintable.

The beak is very vunerable and mine has already got the war marks on it.

If it's as ugly as what's already in situ, c.£30 doesn't sound too unreasonable.

I'd need to see the prototype first.

Jamie

I'd like to see the finishd guard but if its enything like adventurer one i'd be intrested too
Chas

Me too

Please add my name to the list providing it comes with a "Gecko" sticker to match the one I already have in the screen...

Have a look on the dutch GS forum. There some guys put a 1150 mudgaurd on the 1100. Like that you can put the original adventure beak onto it as well.

Cheers,
GS_Jan
:moped:

R1100 Beak Protector

Hi Gecko
Looks good to me, I too have some wall marks on the beak.

Put me down for one:)

Thanks for the feedback - at least I now know I am not alone thinking this may be worth the effort. Tonight I am making a negative mould from the wax template - here's hoping it'll take. Tomorrow night I am meeting with a bloke that works with plastics and hopefully he will give me some advice on how to get the best results.
I haven't got any more pics just yet but the rear part of the beak guard is now cut in more to give it a more aggressive shape. It looks much better.
I'll update you with the outcome after tomorrow's meeting.

Someone asked about November availability....well let's just say it's not impossible - but will depend on the progress during the next few days.
Thanks again for the encouragment , now I just have to deliver :D

Re: Got to be done

Ian Whinnett said:
Yes I am certainly keen and especially if they could be made from a matertial that was paintable.

The beak is very vunerable and mine has already got the war marks on it.

Ian
The finished product will be black plastic (similar to the BMW panniers) with the right primer and paint it will be paintable but as with the Adventure beak protector it's gonna be a black finish.

GS_Jan said:
Have a look on the dutch GS forum. There some guys put a 1150 mudgaurd on the 1100. Like that you can put the original adventure beak onto it as well.

Cheers,
GS_Jan
:moped:

Jan
Those things go out at Euro 269 excluding VAT unpainted......if you want your 1100 to look almost like an 1150 they are great but I'm not trying to achieve that. This is a whole lot cheaper and the 1100 stays an honest 1100 :D

Re: Me too

Yosi said:
Please add my name to the list providing it comes with a "Gecko" sticker to match the one I already have in the screen...

Yosi
I wish I could find those stickers again - I bought a couple at a rally and have never seen them again....so sorry no Gecko logos included :( but I'll see what I can find to spice yours up a bit ....:D
They are nice sticker aren't they. I think they are laser cut on a special machine and they have stayed stuck for years - in all weather. The guy was some kind of sign writer who did all kinds of stickers and logos for cars and bikes.

B-beak

I am the guy who is making the 1150 beak for the 1100.

it is 269 including 19 % VAT. That is the problem if it is part of your/my profesion. Every body wants to make a buck. :(

Good luck with the project, B-art

Re: B-beak

B-art said:
I am the guy who is making the 1150 beak for the 1100.

it is 269 including 19 % VAT. That is the problem if it is part of your/my profesion. Every body wants to make a buck. :(

Good luck with the project, B-art

B-art
What you have done is very special. I like it and it looks a really professional job but it needs a special kind of person that wants to turn their beloved 1100 into an 1150 clone . ;) I saw one of the Dutch guys has done an 1100 beak chop which looks good too.
I'm not even sure I can make this thing I am attempting but it's kind of fun trying - and hey, winter is coming so I have plenty of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom