Route planning software for TomTom - TYRE

Mike Werner

Cloggie amongst Frogs
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Couldn't find if this was posted already... As TomTom owners know, you can't plan routes in advance on your PC, unless you're willing to jumps through some hoops...

Here's a free application that produces fantastic routes for your TomTom. It's called TYRE, and it uses built-in Google Maps. Zoom, drag and click to make your waypoints. Once you've placed all your waypoints, click on calculate, and presto.. you've got a complete itinerary.

You can use it's built-in fly-though function to "ride" the route, or use the tour function of Google Earth.

They also have a website where you can upload your routes, and others can build on the existing route, sharing experiences. Very nifty!!!

I've tried it, and put some screen snaps on my site.

Type Application

This is something TomTom should have done!!

Looks useful, but I have TomTom on a PDA and it doesn't seem to want to communicate automatically.

I tried manually copying the .itn file to the ITN directory, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

Looks useful, but I have TomTom on a PDA and it doesn't seem to want to communicate automatically.

I tried manually copying the .itn file to the ITN directory, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

Strange, since in their FAQ it says it should work on PDAs as well. Is it the navigator version 5 you're using???

Sussed it !

Somehow my PDA had 2 ITN directories. One on the Storage Card and one on the PDA itself.

Thanks Mike.

Sussed it !

Somehow my PDA had 2 ITN directories. One on the Storage Card and one on the PDA itself.

Thanks Mike.

Pretty good piece of software ?? I really like it, specially when you start playing with it...

I must have missed your post Mike, I re posted Tyre here after seeing it on your blog http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123698

Tyre can also works with your Garmin, here’s how… Draw your route with Tyre and Google Map, then save the file created as .gpx. Open the .gpx file with Mapsource, recalculate the route (because it will be all strait lines between the waypoints) and there you go!

The only down side is all the route points are Waypoints, not Via points, maybe with a bit more development the designer could fix that?

Whatever... its a very clever little program, and well worth the effort to learn :thumb2

Yeah, I'm very impressed by that software, specially since it's free. He did a very good job, hence the reason I said you'll probably see TomTom buying it up...

Actually the http://houghi.org/tomtom/ website offers more functionality with google maps.

Tyre doesnt allow you to drag roads and easily create waypoint where as the website does.

It brill as I used to do it manually as I didnt get on with Tyre.

Haven't used Tyre and as I don't own a TomTom it's only of passing interest, However, I do occasionally have to provide ITN files for riding buddies and ITN Converter does a good job of that allowing me to easily convert between Garmin, Autoroute and ITN routes as well as interfacing with Google Maps for integral route planning.

You're joking right??

eeeeer... NO.

You cant drag your route to create waypoints which is a features your gonna need to make a nice scenic route.

If you wanna just get there then TYRE is fine but if you wanna find a nice twisty way there with some scenery and technical riding then you wanna customise the route.

Having all those stupid buttons and extra features is not always whats required, houghi made it simple and google made it functional, perfect marriage! :D

You cant drag your route to create waypoints which is a features your gonna need to make a nice scenic route.

In ITN Converter using Google Maps you can drag via-points around and recalculate the route, add new ones and move them up and down the itinerary. Recalculate isn't automatic but it's only a button press away.

eeeeer... NO.

If you wanna just get there then TYRE is fine but if you wanna find a nice twisty way there with some scenery and technical riding then you wanna customise the route.

Having all those stupid buttons and extra features is not always whats required, houghi made it simple and google made it functional, perfect marriage! :D

Yeah, but what I was talking about, at least reading the link, is the complexity in getting the track to your GPS. Editing text, etc before exporting????

Editing text is optional.

I just load it on and go. If you wanna change anything you can do that on your unit.

Shud ap... Garmin doesnt even have itinerary planning, and you still need software to make it in the PC. What happens when you need to change your itinerary on route... you have to find a PC or stop using it.

Garmin = minGar

Shud ap... Garmin doesnt even have itinerary planning, and you still need software to make it in the PC. What happens when you need to change your itinerary on route... you have to find a PC or stop using it.

Have you used or owned a Garmin?

My Quest, and I presume other Garmins, are perfectly capable of producing and editing routes based on an itinerary directly on the unit. However, it's fiddly for creating precise routes and, more to the point, checking they exactly follow the roads you want takes time (can't see it being any different on a Rider, it's the small screen/lack of detailed overview that's the limiting factor). I'm talking about routes where you specifically want to follow particular roads rather than plain A, B, C.... etc route planning. For the latter it's a breeze but then that's not how I use mine on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom