Vereina Tunnel

karnevil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Information regarding the Verina Tunnel please.I have just been looking at a route for my 2008 trip to The Alps and i fancy taking a trip to Eagles Nest(Hitlers retreat) and plotted a route on Mapsource for one day which took me from Davos to Innsbruck via Nauders and it plotted this great long straight line which is a railway line,the Vereina Tunnel!Is it worth it for the spectacle and expierience or not?How much is it to put a bike on?Cheers

Hmmm dont seem too bad about on a parr with Mont blanc tunnel i think that was 20 euro(i just discoved my euro key dont work.....LOL)
Wonder if its a must do while ya near it or not?
Cheers Monkey man:augie

Wonder if its a must do while ya near it or not?

Definitely not, IMHO. Nothing against the Vereina tunnel in general, though; but it is built mainly for cars and mobile homes.

I just don't see a point in riding 'The Alps' by using tunnels if there are passes around (and you don't have to because of early / late snowfall).
I would suggest to take the route over Flueela pass instead. Will take you a couple of minutes longer than using the railways through the tunnel (waiting for the next train not taken into account), but worth it even if the weather should be less than favourable.
Or, if you fancy narrow and bumpy scenic roads, ride almost all the way down from Davos to Tiefencastel, turn left and take the road to Albula pass. Then left again down the Engadin valley. This would be my favourite if time is not a big issue.

Nauders - Innsbruck is just boring BTW. *Lots* of traffic, speed traps, and seldom a chance to overtake. Take in as many scenic routes as you possibly can before that stretch of road ...

Have fun,
Stefan

Definitely not, IMHO. Nothing against the Vereina tunnel in general, though; but it is built mainly for cars and mobile homes.

I just don't see a point in riding 'The Alps' by using tunnels if there are passes around (and you don't have to because of early / late snowfall).
I would suggest to take the route over Flueela pass instead. Will take you a couple of minutes longer than using the railways through the tunnel (waiting for the next train not taken into account), but worth it even if the weather should be less than favourable.
Or, if you fancy narrow and bumpy scenic roads, ride almost all the way down from Davos to Tiefencastel, turn left and take the road to Albula pass. Then left again down the Engadin valley. This would be my favourite if time is not a big issue.

Nauders - Innsbruck is just boring BTW. *Lots* of traffic, speed traps, and seldom a chance to overtake. Take in as many scenic routes as you possibly can before that stretch of road ...

Have fun,
Stefan

Cheers for that i just saw it on the map and wondered if it was a must see/do thing.Like alot of people said the Mont Blanc tunnel was a must do
its just a bloody tunnel likke going to Liverpool,wont make that mistake again.Cheers Andy.

Cheers for that i just saw it on the map and wondered if it was a must see/do thing.Like alot of people said the Mont Blanc tunnel was a must do
its just a bloody tunnel likke going to Liverpool,wont make that mistake again.Cheers Andy.

Depends on the weather. We used it as it was pissing down with rain and freezing cold and we wanted a little respite from the conditions and it does miss out one of the highest passes in that part of the Swiss alps.

The tunnel is a nightmare for bikes.. Once loaded you have to sit on the bike as it careens about 23kms at speeds up to 60kms an hour in pitch dark. There are no provisions for tying the bike down, it's simply"ride on ride off".

Mrs Moto stood alongside me as we thundered through the tunnel. F*cking nightmare scenario!

http://invictamoto.blogspot.com/2007/03/on-train-rhtische-bahn-20806.html

Back
Top Bottom