► Maintenance, servicing, tools, torque settings

i8lusaka

Hi all I am getting my 800 tomorrow at Park Lane and I wonder how much is the first service?
BMW Battersea quote me £120

£95 if done at the dealer you bought it from. At least in my case that's what i've been quoted. All in price.

I think mine was £72, or maybe £78, but it wasn't much.

Had my 1st service yesterday. £58 and that included hardwiring my GPS into the battery terminal.

The dealer also offered to clean the bike but I was running short on time. Pretty reasonable me thinks?

£91.76 for mine including oil, filter and gasket. They checked out the electronics and said that the cut out I experienced as associated with a sidestand/clutch event. At least that is what I understood. I have had no cut-outs apart from the one so I guess that things have settled down.

Seventy eight squids for mine inclusive, as well as installation of the handguards (which weren't available at PDI).

They rather helpfully de-glazed the brake pads too - apparently it was evident I'd "been enjoying the new bike".

Chuffed with the hand guards, made all the difference in the rain at speed coming back round the M25 today. The spoilers have a nice scalloped top edge that gives a suitably mean look to them too.

First service cost me £50 for my 650 at BVM in Stroud. Have ordered the BMW handguards and was told they are on " technical hold" :confused: and should be available in Germany in 2 weeks and about a week later here. Touring Scotoiler also not available yet and neither was the tank bag the dealer had ordered for me to have a look at. Spent ages waiting, apparently due to some computer glitch while checking my fuel warning light problem. Took 3 hours altogether, for a minimal service - very frustrating:mad: but happy only £50

had my first service on Monday cost £100 from AJ Shipley. When asked what they did the service bloke just looked at me like I was sort of prick

Mine was £65 at NOG

Wow... here in Portugal, when you buy a new bike it's usual for the dealer to throw in the first service. The 1000 km one. I got mine for free...

Southport superbikes today. <£100 together with some other bits some fitted. Great service from all on service side.

I travel from south cheshire for the peace of mind for a job well done :thumb:thumb thanks :thumb:thumb

H

£72 including keying of pannier locks and full road test to check clonking fork noise (no problem found - same on demonstrator).
Top service/value. :D

Have you not read your handbook? :nenau

The schedule is every year or 6000 miles, whichever comes soonest. And your OBC will tell you when its due.

Hi,

I was more thinking of the actual work done- things to grease, change, check-

I am thinking of splashing out on the service manual dvd, around £50.

I asked for an oil filter when I collected the bike on Saturday, and shall drain 2.9L of 10/40 semi-synthetic from the bike only to replace it with 2.9L of the same. I've been reliably informed that this is all they do on the 600 mile service...so the money saved will buy me a sump guard. It's the services thereafter that are more important as they plug it into diagnostic equipment and put on software updates etc. I can imagine there'll be many of those since Saturday!

I guess if you've complaints about engine cut-outs or whatever and you'd have more peace of mind in getting it checked out, it might be worth checking in. But since mine is going like a Singer...

There's already been at least one software upgrade. And IMHO, the very first service is the single most important one. You don't run-in bikes for the sake of the engine these days, you do it for the sake of everything else that can vibrate loose etc.

Doesn't the handbook specify mineral oil?

Does anybody here has already got repair manual for F800 GS in sharable format?

I will put a handlebare riser on my F800 gs,the front brake line is a little to short,have ordered a new one a little longer.
Is ther any issues of bleeding the front brakelines on a bike with abs,or is it straight forward operation like on a bike with no abs?

Don know the ABS on F800, but did bleeding on 1150 with (integral) dual ABS system. The only differece was that each brake (front, back) has got two separate circuits - first one from the break lever to ABS unit, second one from ABS unit to brake caliper. Each circuit should be bleeded separately. Question is if F800 has got integral abs. Best way is to check service manual that i still don't have :(

BLEEDING

jarax that only applies to servo brakes which arent on the f800's.
should be a case of what goes in the resevoir comes out the calipers.

Hi
Mounted my Verholen risers today,steering handle is now up by 3 cm and 4 cm closer to my body,made a big difference in the riding comfort for us with short (muscular)arms:D
Can confirm that bleeding the brakes is straight forward.
Had to get a new brakeline as the original was a little short(strained)
If you go this way get a line approx 42 cm.

BMW lists 2 items for a Service Tool Kit in their accessories list. Has anyone gotten hold of these or have had a look? The manual also shows an accessory tool kit on pg 92 (I think), but I'm not sure if its the same one as those listed on the accessories list. It is probably the same but the manual shows one kit and the accessories list shows 2 items. Feedback anyone? :D

you get a very basic tool kit if that's what you call it
but you can buy the one as you say in the book
which is optional extra
or look at the touratech book and order the tool box
that fits on the BMW bash plate and make your own tool set up

Touratech tool box £50.00 ISH
Optional tool kit ?????£ dont know but somebody will

email to dealer, 24 May: Do you have details of the two took kits,
- 71 60 7 705 570 and
- 71 60 7 703 758?

response
- 71 60 7 705 570 - £24.99 = LED Socket lamp. Plugs into on BMW on board socket.
- 71 60 7 703 758 - £101 = No Details on what this part number is?

Eh? they don't have a clue?

► Maintenance, tools, torque settings

Waiting to get an f800gs in the states and wondering how often I would really need to go running back to the dealer for service. My closest dealer is 150 miles away. I've been able to change oil/filter on my other motorcycles and really not bothered the dealer after the purchase because the bikes haven't needed any other service. Is this a reasonable expectation with these bikes? Ive never owned a BMW or a fuel injected motorcycle. Everyones expirience would be appreciated.

Well you could do your own servicing, but the onboard computer is going to nag you to visit your dealer every year or 6000 miles (whichever comes sooner).

This has been my concern as well. The closest BMW dealer to me is about 1400km away! There are local shops that can do most of the work but as far as I know there is no one with the diagnostic computer. I've had Honda's all my life so there has never been an issue, this is my first foray into the world of BMW so everytime I read someone having an unknow stalling issue or EWS or whatever I wonder if this is the bike (800 GS) for me:confused:

my two pennies: obviously the first service doesn't matter so much. in fact, the dealer i got mine from (i had to travel to scotland) realised it was unrealistic for me to travel over from n.ireland, and so kindly stamped up the book for the 1st service for me (hmm, that might have scuppered the chance of me selling it on here when the time comes:blast - but that time is far far away) when I told him I'd do an oil and filter change/chain tension exercise. However, for warranty purposes and software updates, I will be getting annual services done. In fact, I'll be needing the 6000 done somewhere around Italy/Slovenia in a couple of weeks. These bikes are clearly very different to older ones with minimal electronics. Also, from the point of view of residuals, I'd buy a bike with a BM service history before one without...so I hope those 1400kms are pretty ones :aidan

Parts Microfiche or CD - 650/800GS Twins

Does anyone know what might be the part number for these items?
Or if it's available at all?

This has been my concern as well. The closest BMW dealer to me is about 1400km away! There are local shops that can do most of the work but as far as I know there is no one with the diagnostic computer. I've had Honda's all my life so there has never been an issue, this is my first foray into the world of BMW so everytime I read someone having an unknow stalling issue or EWS or whatever I wonder if this is the bike (800 GS) for me:confused:

I have a solution for you. Why not leave it at my place. I live about 2 Km from the dealership. You can drive down to ride it you feel like it.:augie:clap

Back
Top Bottom