New Bike Problems

Koopz

Reaction score
Picked up my new bike from Vines on Tuesday and have a couple of problems.

I was fobbed off by the salesman that the seat on the bike is a standard seat, I think that it is a low seat, any lower and you will need to cut into the top rail. I was to do Penzance and back to put a few miles on it but the seat was so uncomfortable I had to stop and turn back so I phoned them up on Wednesday and stated to them my opinion again, this time I was put through to a parts person who stated that I should have asked for the high seat option if I wanted the flat seat as shown in all of the brochures, however they have ordered a new one for me. Question is it them or me that is taking the P*ss.

Problem No2 is that I have oil or something leaking from somewhere (nothing like being specific!) from around the crankcase. It is not from the oil filler but higher to the front nearside/nearside. Has anyone else had this?

Any thoughts welcome. S

Attachments

• Seat.JPG
    Seat.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 750
  • Oil.JPG
    Oil.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 768
From your pics., that looks like the low seat.

Unless you specified low when ordering, you should have got your bike with the standard seat. They are taking the piss.

Can't help with the oil leak I'm afraid. Has it been overfilled? Checking the level is a pain in the ass. the engine has to be run until the fan cuts in, then run for another minute, then checked on the dipstick with the bike level (on centre stand).

Take it back to Vines and get them to sort it PDQ and don't be fobbed off with any excuses.

Rocker gasket leak?? I've heard a few people talk about it on other forums.

yep, that's a rocker gasket. i've had it too but not as severe as that. mine has weeped, whereas yours has poured. i seem to get all these issues just before everyone else, but you need to get that gasket replaced asap. keep an eye on your oil levels otherwise you'll have an engine seize.

I apologise if I am posting slightly off topic here. Regarding checking the oil level.... Is there anyway to test the whether the fan is working or not? I don't recall hearing it ever, I don't know if it's possible to either.... I even tried switching the engine off with the side stand when the thermometer is showing 4 lines and still nothing. Does it spin up shortly when the OBC does the initial diagnosis when turning the key to the right?

Any info would be very appreciated!

Thanks

BMW Rang Me re ABS Cables

Got a phone call from local dealer.
They wanted me to book bike in for the ABS Cables to be re-wired or something.
They advised that I wouldn't get a recall letter for this and that it would only take half an hour.
I am booked in for Oct 11th.
Anyone know what this is all about.

Got a phone call from local dealer.
They wanted me to book bike in for the ABS Cables to be re-wired or something.
They advised that I wouldn't get a recall letter for this and that it would only take half an hour.
I am booked in for Oct 11th.
Anyone know what this is all about.

ABS Sensor cable is rerouted so it will not get broken.

Unless you specified low when ordering, you should have got your bike with the standard seat. They are taking the piss.

Take it back to Vines and get them to sort it PDQ and don't be fobbed off with any excuses.

+1 as above, and that's definitely low seat.

Add your gasket problem & I'd be having a calm conversation with the sales manager along the lines off, first the saddle, then the guys attitude, now this...........what else is going to go wrong with my £7k (of my hard earned money) purchase.............

Call him & ask to pop in & see him. Easier face to face & he'll know you're serious & concerned.

Give him an opportuniy to resolve it. If he's sensible he will, if he isn't, point him to the VERY long thread on another dealer & their lack of customer service on here a while ago

If he's being really twatish (which I doubt will happen) maybe use the phrase "I'll return it as unfit for purpose.................". That can be hard to prove, but the implied threat should be enough. I can't imagine it will get that far.

Let us know how you get on

ABS Sensor cable is rerouted so it will not get broken.

Thanks for response.
If I find out more when at the dealer I will let you guys know if you should all be getting this call.

Goes in tomorrow for the 600 service but had correspondence re the seat today and will let you all know how it pans out.

Other than that and the oil its a good bike and pleased with it but looking forward to picking up the GSA from service as it is better on the longer runs even though I have the metal mule big screen on the 800.

Also, dont know if it is just me but the 800 does not feel as substantial as the GSA (but it is easier to control and throw about........ and drop like yesterday but no damage............much)

S

A GSA & an 800GS, are you a millionai.................oh, surveyor, that explains it :D

Should we all be getting this call from a dealer or is it a specific batch of bikes??

all bikes produced until July, cable will be rerouted at next service. the plug connection for ABS sensor cable will be moved from fork cover to the frame.

ABS recall

all bikes produced until July, cable will be rerouted at next service. the plug connection for ABS sensor cable will be moved from fork cover to the frame.

Had the recall service done on the ABS and exactly as you report.

Back
Top Bottom