Hi from the south west of France

Bikers Lot

Hi I'm Pete, I run a small motorcycle touring business in France, I cover approx 1000 miles a week at the height of the season. I started with a fireblade but found this to much for the type of roads we have, so moved onto a Fazer 600 this does the task well but I would really like a GS. So my question is which model do you think would suit me best?

Hi :)

I think for the GS you should look at what is the minimum and see if it's sufficient. So is the 650 twin good enough as I'll assume you won't be going off road with the paying punters?

As you're a local you'll know the roads well, so IMO you won't need the extra power of the 1200. But if you're a bit tall / built for comfort and not speed, then the F800 might be best compromise.

Worthwhile having a go on them as much as possible. And, try to ignore the indicator buttons being awkward, as you'll get to use and like them fairly quickly.

Hi to you all and thanks for your welcoming messages. The 650 sounds good as you say using the power of a larger machine really dos'nt come into it! What's it like on MPG have to think of this these days!

Hi Pete

Welcome to the Forum mate ,hope you find it helpful and you may find the answer to your enquiry on the 650 in the 650/800 section.

The other suggestion I would have is become a sponsor it cost's £12 a year but will alloy you access to other part's of the Forum and you can then converse with other's using the PM system (private messages) if you need to

Schultz

Hi Pete,

My folks live just up the road from you in Degagnac

Welcome to the site!

Hi Pete,

My folks live just up the road from you in Degagnac

Welcome to the site!

Hi Tunneruk, well you know why we like there! a bit cold during the winter as we are just over 700 mts so do get snow! That's why we winter back in the UK and summer in France.

Hi Onyerbike, getting down and dirty is some thing we have thought of, as we have a vast amount of chemins (tracks/green lanes) to choose from. But as we only run through the summer we have concentrated on road going! Just had some photo's through this morning and we have 6inches of snow! and it's COLD.

Hi Pete. Welsome....We've got a place faily near you... just north of Saint Cirq Lapopie and south of Labastide Murat. I haven't brought the bike over yet but the roads all around are marvellous and would especially suit any type of GS. Especially given the twisty narrow nature of some of the back roads. I've got a 1150 which, of course, I think is particularly suitable.

I can echo what you said about the snow and cold at the moment. I've got back yesterday after going over for a few days and draining down all the water.

Welcome

Hi Pete. Welsome....We've got a place faily near you... just north of Saint Cirq Lapopie and south of Labastide Murat. I haven't brought the bike over yet but the roads all around are marvellous and would especially suit any type of GS. Especially given the twisty narrow nature of some of the back roads. I've got a 1150 which, of course, I think is particularly suitable.

I can echo what you said about the snow and cold at the moment. I've got back yesterday after going over for a few days and draining down all the water.

Hi MasterDabber, I 've been surprised at the number of folk residing in France, Saint Cirq etc, visit there nearly every week when working, well you are not wrong about the roads, they are great, and as an Ex TT competitor I should know. We have 5 bikes out there at the moment, but as I mentioned I feel that there is something better than my Fazer, although it does do a good job. We actually live in a village called Latronquiere 18 miles out of Figeac and 700 mts + above sea level so lots of ups and downs. Will have to meet up at some point next year when we are back!

Hi Pete. We're in a little village up on the Parc Naturel des Causses du Quercy called Saint Cernin. It's not as high as you at a mere 370 metres.
I got there on Thursday morning after getting off the Calais ferry at 01:30 with fog, ice and a strong hoar frost all the way... not pleasant. Then on Saurday later afternoon as I was draining down the water it started to snow.

I find just about every road I go down is what I think of as dream biking roads.

Let's hope we get a chance to meet up. At the moment we are still sorting out some things on the house so I've been carting stuff back and forth either in the car or in a (hired) Transit van. But getting the bike out there is a high priority.

Hi, that all sounds very familiar, we went up and down for years! Not sure where in surrey you are, but we have just got into LD lines from Newhaven to Dieppe, cuts out some milage on the other side plus the prices are not bad, even on vans (we have a Transit for shotting up and down)

Hi again, just checked the map and you are not far from us at all only about 25/30 miles. We moved there in 2001 and have loved it ever since. What about the route into Cahor the D653 a real cracker!

Pete. When we go into Cahors we go down through Lauzes and onto the D653 just above the real alpine type twisties.... I usually end up getting a dig in the ribs from SWMBO and told to slow down.... :(

I looked up where you are as well... not far away at all. Should be possible to meet up some time.

Back
Top Bottom