New R1200GS owner

Old Gregg

Hello all. Another newbie on the site.

I picked up my new R1200GS on Saturday from Alan Jeffries BMW in Shipley, West Yorkshire. It's a bit of a change for me as I traded an imaculate 2006 anniversary model Yamaha R1 for the big GS and rather surprisingly I do not regret it, (yet!)
I ride every day to work and the R1 was a sunny weather only bike so I used my wife's 2005 ZX-6R for the daily commute as it wasn't as skittish as the R1. I'm a mechanical engineer at an engineering consultancy in Leeds and often have to visit sites, (usually in the midlands), and if I needed full CDM gear I had to take the car. I did go to Wolverhampton and back on the Ninja and couldn't walk for two days afterwards as my knees were so sore! It was time for a change.
I've always liked the GS but always considered it an'old man's' bike. After trying it out for a couple of hours I was converted and had to have one so I bought one of Alan Jeffries Demo bikes. It is a 4 month old, (58 plate) slate grey GS with 1400 miles on it. It has all the options ticked; heated grips, ESA, ASC, ABS, computer etc. The only thing it doesn't have is spoked wheels which I can live with. I bought a set of BMW panniers for luggage carrying on visits to site and I can't wait to get going on it!
Unfortunately the weather isn't playing ball and due to a fair bit of snow yesterday and today, so I've only been out to play on it once. I'm now trying to decide on a nice long run out on it. Any suggestions?

I've been a member of the R1 forum for 3 years and it's an excellent site. I hope this site is as friendly as that one.

Cheers.

Hi Greg welcome along, I hope that you enjoy your stay here as much as you`ll enjoy your new GS......:thumb

Welcome to the site :beerjug:

It'll be interesting to see how you feel it compares to the R1 once you've got some miles on the GS (I don't think you'll be disapointed :))

Andres

Welcome My first bike is my 650GS single, but my partner Ravenbyrne aka Brian had may different bikes before his 1200 Gs which he bought last september. He had to be prised off it initially now he just glowers at the weather forecasts. we even tried to go out in last saturday's storms.

Enjoy your new GS

Geraldine

Forgive a :rob foreigner asking dumb questions...?

What does a '58 plate' mean? I've seen other 'plate' numbers and haven't the faintest idea what this is...

Thank you.:beerjug:

It's the registration mark or license plate. In the UK we have two dates for releasing new vehicles; March 1st and September 1st. If your vehicle is registered between 1st March and 31st August 2008 you have an '08 plate. If it's registered in the same period in 2007 it would be an '07 plate.
If your vehicle is registered between 1st September 2008 and 28th Feb 2009 you have a '58 plate. If it's registered in the same period in between September 2007 and 28th Feb 2008 you'd have a '57 plate.

My theory is that the September to March registrations are 'S'8 but since they have to use a number they use the number 5 instead of the letter S. It might be a load of rubbish but it seems logical to me.

Hi welcome' only just beat you to the site ,I have been trolling through it for the past 5 nights driving my mrs crazy,
was going ( and probably will ) for a 08 12 gs, but tested a KTM yesterday :blast now in a world of confusion.( also driving my ms mad )
which one which colour etc.
the site's got so much on it haven't even scratched the surface, happy riding will post when new bike comes what ever it is,
KTM section on here too:thumb

It's the registration mark or license plate.
In the UK we have two dates for releasing new vehicles; March 1st and September 1st.
If your vehicle is registered between 1st March and 31st August 2008 you have an '08 plate.
If it's registered in the same period in 2007 it would be an '07 plate.
If your vehicle is registered between 1st September 2008 and 28th Feb 2009 you have a '58 plate.
If it's registered in the same period in between September 2007 and 28th Feb 2008 you'd have a '57 plate.

My theory is that the September to March registrations are 'S'8 but since they have to use a number they use the number 5 instead of the letter S.
It might be a load of rubbish but it seems logical to me.

Thank you for the info.
So it alternates between an "O-plate" and a "5-plate" with the year added...?
Every ten years the numbers recycle?

Or am I still in the dark...? Motomartin

Thank you for the info.
So it alternates between an "O-plate" and a "5-plate" with the year added...?
Every ten years the numbers recycle?

Or am I still in the dark...? Motomartin

100% correct - but this system of vehicle plating is in its first 10 year cycle so we haven't yet got the answer to what happens in 2010 unless of course somebody else knows....?

welcome

old gregg,congrats on buying an ALMOST new r1200gs.stevereno

If you are in doubt...

whether this is a friendly site have no fear because everyone on here in my experience seem great. Ok we can get some heated exchanges about the riding ability of GS riders as opposed to Sportsbike riders but hopefully it all ends in friendly banter.
As for me I am not yet a GS owner but I am getting closer as I sold my Blackbird and now own a Veradero and I hope this year to get out with GS Crew when they have any road only days out.
Welcome on board and when you can please sponsor us as it's good value at the price.

old gregg,congrats on buying an ALMOST new r1200gs.stevereno

You HAD to rub it in didn't you!!!!:toungincheek

I prefer to think of it as £2k in my pocket for a 4 month old bike. If only I could persuade my missus that part of the 'saved' £2k would buy a nice Akro system for the GS....

Hi Old Gregg

Plenty of things for old codgers like us on here. Why not subscribe. You will probably save the £12 in the for sale section within a month or two. Everyone blings their GS (well almost:D)

Either way enjoy the site. Hope to see you at one of the meets, if I can get to any myself:blast

Regards,

Path.

Back
Top Bottom