2 Stroke or 4 Stroke ?

Les Wassall

HiD50.com leading light in HiD
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In the KTM's is there a big difference between the 2 and the 4 stroke models, looking at a 200 or 250cc, and not knowing all the models out there I have seen a 2 and 4 stroke in the 250, is there main + or - between them?

Cheers

One runs a total loss lubrication system and the other doesn't :augie

Otherwise I'm in the dark like you mate :D

The 4 stroke will probably be a tiny bit heavier but put the power down in a more novice friendly way ?

I have to confess to not knowing about KTM's, but I have a Yamaha YZ250WR (2 stroke) and a WR250F (four stroke). The 2T, even with the wide ratio gear box is a crazy rev hungry bugger that goes from sedate to manic in no time and quickly taught me it requires a better rider than me to tame it.

The 4banger on the other hand can be whatever you want it to be. Trundles about quite peacefully on a part throttle and has very linear power delivery throughout in direct proportion to the throttle opening.

KTM's may be very different but all my riding mates who use them are on thumpers. Few of them would leave KTM's now, they rate them highly.

That's what I always thought and it seems the 2T will be a little to quick for a novice and me :augie

Cheers

the 2T will be a little to quick for a novice and me

250 two stroke enduro bikes are not for novices......... irrespective of who manufactures it.
In fact the four stroke enduro bikes aren't the best either.
A calmer four stroke machine should be sort, ie, serow, tt-r, dr-e.
Once you have mastered the art of self-recovery and restarting a righted bike, then you can up-the-anti on to the enduro weapons.

T.

In fact the four stroke enduro bikes aren't the best either.
A calmer four stroke machine should be sort, ie, serow, tt-r, dr-e.
Once you have mastered the art of self-recovery and restarting a righted bike, then you can up-the-anti on to the enduro weapons.

T.

IMO a 250 4 stroke enduro would ba much better buy as long as you don't mind doing some basic maintenance (oil and filter changed etc).
Even a 450 enduro isn't that bad (its what I learnt on).

The big advantage you have with enduro machinery is its lack of weight.
If you go 250 4T it will have similar power to the DRZ et all but a lot less weight, making it less likely to catch you out in the first place, and whole lot easier to lift up when it does.

TBH, other than a lot less maintenance being required I can see no advantage to buying a dzr/ttr/serrow (unless you are short then a serrow makes a little more sense) unless you plan to use it on road a lot also.
If it's purely to be a green lane bike (or possibly used on the odd MX track( then the 4T enduro wins hands down. Lighter, better quality suspension, excellent handling and the engines are far from the scary beasts some would have you believe.

If it were my money I would be looking at a either the KTM or more likely the Yamaha 250 F. Bags of low down torque and rev nicely with a silky smooth delivery that finds grip when others are floundering. Great bikes.

I've had a 450exc

and now have the 200exc. The 450 was too heavy for a 4 hour enduro but great for general green laning. I must admit having had both I just love the stroker, less maintenance and so easy to ride (very light and tractable). Really is down to personal preference although having riden the 250f model I really thought that was dull, felt really flat....maybe a 400 would be a good compromise ?

after having owned a couple of 300exc's and 3 525's i'd say the 2t on the road is a pain to ride but on the trail or racing was great and it's one tough bike but on the road the 4t is a lot better

a mate of mine swears by the 200 exc having owned a few,he went for the 250 4t but sold it and went back to 09 200

loz

and now have the 200exc. The 450 was too heavy for a 4 hour enduro but great for general green laning. I must admit having had both I just love the stroker, less maintenance and so easy to ride (very light and tractable). Really is down to personal preference although having riden the 250f model I really thought that was dull, felt really flat....maybe a 400 would be a good compromise ?

This echoes the thoughts of a guy I was chatting to at a local NREC event a couple of years ago. He had two KTM's. a 125 that he was using for the event (H&H), and a 450. He was telling me the bigger 4T was great for laning, but just too much bike for the technical bits on these races. Following a two mile long rut through forestry does take it out of you!

Being no off road riding god, I find the WR250F has plenty for me, and there is a need with off roaders not to 'over-bike' yourself. I've found it's better to be able to manage what you've got and suffer occasionally wishing there was a bit more in there, than to lug something around that's tiring you out all the time. In truth the only time that's happened to me is when my mates open up their bigger KTM's on good surfaces and pull away, which only lasts to the next gate, ford, ditch etc so isn't a problem really.

Here's mine. Something that hasn't been mentioned is seat height. At 6' I find the 950mm height of this to be well high enough. I believe there are lowering kits readily available for KTM's if it's an issue.

Attachments

• DSCF0057.JPG yammy.jpg
    DSCF0057.JPG yammy.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,336
Here's mine. Something that hasn't been mentioned is seat height. At 6' I find the 950mm height of this to be well high enough. I believe there are lowering kits readily available for KTM's if it's an issue.

I like the XChallenge, having had a lot of others including KTM's

It's heavy though....................but seems to get over most obstacles

Leyburn1.jpg

Practising on one of these helps to learn stuff though

4RTLeftFull.jpg

First bike....................I would choose a 250 of some sort

In the KTM's is there a big difference between the 2 and the 4 stroke models, looking at a 200 or 250cc, and not knowing all the models out there I have seen a 2 and 4 stroke in the 250, is there main + or - between them?

Cheers

Ive never been that fond of 2-strokes. They dont have a lot of torque at low revs, so you have to keep revs up, have pretty good throttle control and be good at slipping the clutch.

Something like the 450EXC, however, is much more forgiving.
You can pretty much find yourself a gear too high, but twist the wrist and it goes.

Of the 4T KTM's, I think its something like 5-6kg that separates a 250EXC and a 525/530EXC. Most people find the 525/530 too much of a handful - but I am a big guy & I love it.

A 250 is somewhat better suited to slippery english conditions - it will keep traction, while something like the 525 will break the rear wheel free just by thinking of accelerating.

A nice, 2nd-hand 250 EXC wont cost too much & if oil changed every 100miles & filters every 200, will last for ages - the RFS is pretty reliable lump. If youre one of those guys that dont like doing basic maintenance and put it off, buy something japanese. Honda XR's (250/450) are good-value, reliable bikes. Nothing like the quality of a KTM, but you can change oil once every couple of years and it will still run forever (the ol' 82 XR dad had when I was a kid was appallingly maintained - still runs :) ).

If youre interested in a nice electric-start honda XR250 for about 1400 ONO, let me know.

100hrs for oil & 200hrs on filter...on a ktm!!

how long do you leave between valves!!!!!!!

saying theres no torque on a stoker is simply boll(*ks, have you ridden both?

i take it back :)

Yes. Miles. :comfort :D
100 is conservative. Some leave it 130-150. Extend the oil capacity, you can double that.

2T have shiteloads of torque - but not at the bottom end.
Its a bit of a skill & personal preference thing - but Ive always preferred 4T bikes. For me they are a bit more forgiving & relaxing to ride.

It's all personal preference, theres a lot of good advice in the above threads but heres my opinion.

any 250 4t generates too much power from a very small engine, eventually you will have problems with the valves.

450+ 4t has too much power to really enjoy, they are very powerful and totally unforgiving. I have had a few Husky, CRF and KTM and never really enjoyed my time with them.

Any 4t on the road is a reasonable bike to ride.

200 EXC is basically a bored out 125, it is very light and has good power delivery/torque from very low revs (dont believe what you hear about 2t powerbands, it was true maybe 10 years ago but not now)

300EXC is a bored out 250, it is still very light and goes like a 525 if you want it to, it can also be a pussycat, you decide what you want it to do.

all 2t's are a pain on the road as they have no engine braking and are too free revving, they do not ride on a steady throttle so are not good for distance (a few miles are ok)

Also you will hear horror stories about maintenance, I have an exc 300 and will pull the barrrel off once a year and re ring it, cost nothing and takes a couple of hours. FYI I will do about 10 H&H a year.

I would not buy an enduro bike for laning, I would buy a DRZ or even a DR350 as these are bullet proof and can comfortably be used to commute to a lane. Also do not get hung up on power, this is only really relevant on the road

FWIW the above is my opinion, i am sure that others will have theirs

I would not buy an enduro bike for laning, I would buy a DRZ or even a DR350 as these are bullet proof and can comfortably be used to commute to a lane.

I would and I wouldn't.
A DRZ or similar are fantastic green lane tools IF you aren't wanting to go too fast.
As standard they they will soon start to tie themselves in knots if you do.
We don't all stick to the TRF Twenty Five all the time.:augie

Also if you are even thinking of doing the odd enduro, might as well buy well, and enduro, which will happily do both.
You don't even see many trail bikes in the Trail Bike Enduro Club paddock these days. There's a good reason for that.

Back
Top Bottom