Bag o shite side stand

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody know how to stop the bike leaning over so far when on the side stand. When the bike is packed up it is right on the limit of toppling over because it leans so much :blast:blast:blast

Lower the suspension, extend the stand, bolt a plate to the bottom to raise it a bit, put the stand on a stone or something, park so that the camber helps, park it on top of a bicycle thief's neck.

bend it

in the old days we used to chuck the oxy acetylene at it and put a slighty different bend in it, or just park the bike on a bike thiefs foot.

First mod I did to my Dakar - cut the stand and weld in about 2.5 inches,I couldn't believe BMW could sell them like that.Of course,that was back in the days when I thought BMWs were something special...........

Tony

Flip, how much lateral free play is in hinge of the stand? It might be time you changed the bushing. Another common problem is that if you beach the bike you could bend the side stand carrier out a bit and that will make the bike lean over abit more. The hockey puck mod is by far the cheapest option though if you still think it keels over too much.

STANDS TO REASON REALLY, RAISE THE BIKE ON ITS SUSPENSION, THEN THE SIDESTAND WILL BE TOO SHORT..... FIT A LONGER SIDESTAND OR PUT THE WHEELS IN A TRENCH:augie

i got the sidestand enlarger with a 20mm plastic plated bolted under it from bmw bike bits, its a Wunderlich part. I wouldn't buy it for what it costs now £34 :eek: sure it was cheaper when i bought mine. It works well and hasn't come off yet. There was some issues with them disappearing if the bolts weren't locktighted.

Anyway, do as others have said :thumb2 either weld an extension into the sidestand or weld a larger plate to the sidestand then bolt a hocky puck to it.

let your tyres down when you park it, then pump them up when you want to ride it.

Back
Top Bottom