keep the 12 and buy a 800 or trade ?

Farzad the barber

Reaction score
Hi guys. How much do you miss your 1200gs after trading yours? And i love the 800. I am afraid that I would miss my 1200. I do some two up riding and every couple of years they could be long trips(on the road for a week or two). The rest of the use is city transportation since I don't know how to drive a car. What would you do?

Hi, I had a 1150GSA before the 800GS and I am more than happy with the 800

I do not use mine two up but could imagine it may be a bit of a squeeze.

The 800GS is very nimble compared with the 1150, I am pleased with the first 2,500 miles.
Suggest you take one for a test ride on roads you know and two up.

hope this helps

Tim

Sold

I purchased my 800GS in September and also owned a 1200GS. After the long ride home from the dealership (250+) miles, I knew immediately the 1200 would soon be for sale. I now have almost 7000 miles on it and NO problems. I am not a large person and the 800GS feels so much lighter than the 1200 even if it isn't significantly lighter. The 800 is actually better than I would have guessed. Looking forward to a 3000+ mile trip beginning in May. Sold the 1200 in January. Having just one bike also saves on insurance.

thank you both. I hope to come to a good decision between the two or keep them both. When i trade my 1150 to 650 single i missed my 1150 so fast that i had to go back in 6 months and get the 1200gs and i love the bike. Dont want to do the same mistake again. I know the 800 is a great bike and want one.

I've kept both as well. If I had to make a choice I would more than likely keep the 800GS.:beerjug:

Traded in a 1200 for the 800. No regrets whatsoever. Much lighter and plenty fast enough. The only negative, is that my other half says the seat is smaller and she hasn't got the space to move around that she had on the 1200.

Traded in a 1200 for the 800. No regrets whatsoever. Much lighter and plenty fast enough. The only negative, is that my other half says the seat is smaller and she hasn't got the space to move around that she had on the 1200.

They're not in any catalogue (I know of) but you can get wives with "comfier" bottoms to alleviate this. :augie

My situation's the same, except my other half has no interest in riding pillion. And there's the cheaper fuel costs too.:D

However I do miss having a screen that works well as standard :blast, but am working my way through possible solutions...

Got an 800, want a 1200, simple reason is that mine is very buzzy/vibey, whereas the 1200 ,err isnt!!Anyone care to comment on this?? 3000 miles and everything as it should be, all nuts that should be tight are,right oil and levels too!!

What on earth is wrong with the 1200 in town?

I ride my 1200GSA in London daily and its fine; you get used to it and like all things, the more you do it, the more you get used to it.

The 800 & 1200 seem a bit too close to me. If you really are that bothered about wanting that is substantially easier in town (and I guess filtering), then shouldn't you be getting something substantially maller than the GS?

Now had the 800 for a month, and covered 1700 miles. Yes it's vibey compared with the 1200. 100mph on the 1200 seemed relaxed, wheras it feels very buzzy on the 800. Bigger bike had lots more grunt. Two up, the 1200 is the better bike.
However, the 800 feels much lighter, is easier to filter, is easier to manouvre in general, uses less fuel, servicing and tyres will be cheaper, and I've got a brand new bike for a lot less than it would have cost had I bought another 1200.

With a few mods and a little fine tuning, the F800 is a ripper. i too like the 1200gs but for the style of riding i do (spur of the moment crazy trails) id have to look like this to pick the 12gsa up when its topples over the top of me..... :D , id have a 1200 for the long distance trips because they handle heavy loads heaps better.

pumped1qj-749142.jpg

2 up the 800GS is complete rubbish. I rarely take a pillion as the missu rides but this weekend we took a 150mile trip to pick another bike up so both went on the 800. It is too cramped and cruising at 100mph gives the pillion real bad helmet buffeting. There is also little space for either rider or pillion to move around to keep comfy.
However one up it is a great little bike, no slower than the bigger bikes and more manageable everywhere especially off road :)

Hi, I had a 1150GSA before the 800GS and I am more than happy with the 800 ... I do not use mine two up but could imagine it may be a bit of a squeeze.
Tim

My passenger reports a distinct improvement in room and comfort on the back of my 800GS compared to my old 1100GS. I cannot comment on comparisons with a 1200GS though.

I have just come back from a 3000 miles trip with my girlfriend as pillion. We did about 1000 miles in one go and she never complained about it being uncomfortable... we don't have points of comparison though as this is my first bike.

Cheers

Think yourself lucky that your girlfriend hasn't had a ride on the back of a 1200!

Back
Top Bottom