800GS off road ?

couchcommando

Have a KTM950SM that I have been using on some lanes up and around Derbyshire, it's still got 17's on with sticky road tyres and it feels ok on the dirt. However I also have access to an 800GS so took that for the same trip recently, it's standard and fitted with Avon distanzia's.
I expected it to be a lot better on the dirt but I couldn't have been more wrong, it felt heavier and the front followed every rut. In comparison the front of the KTM never entered my mind and never moved despite being on fat road tyres.
It's left me wondering why the BMW felt so bad.

Anyone else took their off road and how did you find it ?, I'm only average off road but the KTM felt a lot easier to use which is not how I planned it LOL

Can kinda answer my own question now, took the bike for a long ride around Derbyshire taking in quite a few green lanes. Before I set off I did a few things. The forks I put flush with the top yoke as they had been dropped thro 25mm to make it lower for my girlfriend, I removed the rubbers on the footpegs and moved the bars forward so it was comfier standing up. These changes have made all the difference. Bike performed faultlessly on all but wet grass/mud but that's the road biased avon distanzia's on it.
I still think it wants shorter gearing and maybe some more off road biased tyres but I'm more than happy with it now :)

A few pics from today

couch_bmw2.JPG

f800_dirty.JPG

f800_lane1.JPG

Aye, dropping the forks would make a difference to the handling, it would quicken up the steering, maybe that was the 'tracking' you experienced?

I would suggest a good bash plate or engine bars. I binned mine off road on the touratech event weekend but pleased no damage to bike or rider. Conditions for my off were deep mud and shite battlewing tyres, TKC80's going on soon.

Bob

Turns out the F800GS was a bit big for me to handle on anything but smooth tarmac, so I've ended up with a Pegaso to ride alongside Couch :) A shame really as I do like the BMW a lot. Maybe a new F650GS could be a thought in the future, being as it's got the same engine (albeit a little slower).

grib_pegaso2.JPG

Maybe a new F650GS could be a thought in the future, being as it's got the same engine (albeit a little slower).

I'm sure there are dyno charts somewhere that show that you need to ring the neck of the 800 to release the extra bhp. Any casual rider sticking below 6,000 won't see any power difference at all.

Is wot I 'eard. :rob

Tim (of 650 fame) will be along shortly to concur.

Good to see you both getting out there and getting muddy :clap

With regards the 800 being too big - once you get a bit of experience off-road, the size gets easier to handle: I'm 5'9" and ride an HP2 - I have zero chance of getting both feet anywhere near the ground!! One of the benefits of going for the 800 would be the 21" front wheel which can really help in terms of tyre selection, the ability to roll over obstacles and better low speed stability in the rough stuff.

Hope to see you on the trails :thumb2

The F800 is great offroad. experience has a contributing factor,selected riders seem to think if they buy a GSA or a KTM or a ??? Dual sport bike they are immediately brilliant riders and could take on the world toughest terrain.

well that selected few are the ones out there struggling. i have seen 5" 30" inseam riders (the sort you have to catch when the wanna stop cause they arent even close) on GSA's up terrain they just shouldnt be and my word they do it, not only well but make it look too damn easy. then its funny to see the next rider have a crack on a KTM (which is marketed as the better offroad machine) fail miserably up the same hill.

as long as you like the bike make it work with some fine tuning.

cheers, :thumb

Great shot :clap

Who needs knobblies?! :augie

As with any bike the less weight it is carrying and the greater the confidence of the rider in off road conditions the better.

I'm no off road rider and need to learn lots but Ive just taken mine around the balkans, Greece and Eastern Europe and am currently holed up in Austria :beerjug:

3435705644_e7ff01bba7.jpg

3409986730_36f399603e.jpg

I'd rather use the term "all-road".

You won't find me doing any offroad activity on my 800GS outside gravel roads, tractor tracks or legally available tracks. I'm very concious about defining myself as a gravel-road-capable touring motorcyclist now enjoying multi-purpose bikes with knobby tires on non-paved roads. :beerjug:

You won't find me doing any offroad activity on my 800GS outside gravel roads, tractor tracks or legally available tracks. I'm very concious about defining myself as a gravel-road-capable touring motorcyclist now enjoying multi-purpose bikes with knobby tires on non-paved roads. :beerjug:

Exactly my sentiments. going off the beaten track and seeing great scenery is what its all about for me. Others like being knee deep in mud and swamp and personally that is not my scene. With all the extras added onto the 800 even minus metal boxes I reckon its maybe 10kg shy of a 1200. Thats too heavy a beast to be manhandling out of a snow drift or mud pool.

Last week the three of us on Sibirsky Extreme were riding through a Bulgarian dusk when we were waved off the very good EU constructed highway by an old man, his wife and their down syndrome son. It was not immediately apparent why the road ahead was closed and there were no police around so I thought village ambush perhaps :D. But joking aside we found ourselves on a heavily potholed dirt track that led over a railway line and then up a very steep potholed incline with bush and scrub.

The 800 took it all in its stride and once back on the main road we cruised again at 80mph. Thats where the 800 shines. Its the 'All road' versatilty at this level that makes it a great bike.

Hehe. Brave people. I'd never do any jumps without my Dainese safety jacket and Dainese safety pants. :beerjug:

Looking at that picture id be more worried about 'Bollox meets tank' scenario ....:eek

Exactly my sentiments. going off the beaten track and seeing great scenery is what its all about for me. Others like being knee deep in mud and swamp and personally that is not my scene. ..... But joking aside we found ourselves on a heavily potholed dirt track that led over a railway line and then up a very steep potholed incline with bush and scrub.

The 800 took it all in its stride and once back on the main road we cruised again at 80mph. Thats where the 800 shines. Its the 'All road' versatilty at this level that makes it a great bike.

My sentiments exactly :beerjug:

I bought the 800GS to go places my old Deauville wouldn't go. And I learned a little about riding unpaved roads on the WOWBMW off-road course. It's the best 'any road' bike out there :thumb2

Totally on the button mate, im with you there. :thumb2

moto

As with any bike the less weight it is carrying and the greater the confidence of the rider in off road conditions the better.

I'm no off road rider and need to learn lots but Ive just taken mine around the balkans, Greece and Eastern Europe and am currently holed up in Austria :beerjug:

3435705644_e7ff01bba7.jpg

3409986730_36f399603e.jpg

"am currently holed up in Austria.."
Cool, anywhere near Kaprun? - did the GrossGlockner pass there in 2006.

moto

Back
Top Bottom