BMW G450X First Enduro

Manx Man

Well just done my first Enduro on me new bike (standard), a 2 hour hare & hounds event on the Isle of Man.

Here are my thoughts.

Bike ran fantastic, much easier to ride than my old XR 400. Loads of low end torque and top end speed if you rev it hard. Feels very light (compared to the XR). Loads of rear end traction making the hill climbs much more fun. Front end seemed a bit slippy on the rocky slabs and dry rocky bits & dropped it 4-5 times when the front end washed out - is this a suspension problem ??

Good points

Fun to ride.
Very quick and stable on the fast bits
Good traction (rear end)
Feels light (as an old novice I can't normally last 2 hours)
Brake / Clutch levers rock solid and will bend not break
Plastics very tough

Not so good

Front end traction
Standard petrol tank won't last 2 hours
Abris handguards as useless as the side stand (assume I will break one or two every race)
Rear break gouged the clutch cover (suggest sticking a small strip of aluminum to the cover with double sided sticky tape)

Conclusion

I have no regrets about buying the BM. I guess if you were looking to win go for the usual colours but if you are looking for a fun bike that’s a little different buy white.

Note… All the winners were on 2 strokes (some of them top class riders) but WERE all battered by Knighter and his brother (on BMWs) at the last similar event

Question ?

Is it worth going for a new exhaust and sticking the power plug in ? Could be a laugh on the fast bits

put that powerplug in immeditly!. and youre smile will be bigger!!

exhaust isn,t necesary but the remus i have now feels better in the low revs, but i thing this bike likes the high revs.
Suspension, search in the forum, there is a alternative setup for the front wich is for enduro to hard(but good voor the mx tracks).

Hi

Thanks for that.

I think I will do better with power plug as I have no problem going fast on the fast sections, i just lack the experience and confidence to go faster in the ruts etc.

Will the power plug destroy the CAT with the stock exhaust.

Some say it will... some say it doesn,t matter.

I can think it will, because of the temperture when going higher revs.
But the power is more then just higher revs, the bike pic's up better at low revs, feels free'er, feels better. With the remus on it it makes it just a bit more better.
I put on the remus beacaus that the stoch can gets very very hot very long and weights a lot of kg. the remus is 1,5 lighter and smaller.

put the 14 front sprocket on and i think it's a perfect bike!!!! for enduro
the 15 would be good for rally, longer distance higher speed. lower revs.

Back
Top Bottom