Where to buy a 1200 in Scotland

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We really don't have enough BMW dealers in Scotland do we...?

So far I've test ridden an R1200 GS at John Clark BMW in Dundee and spent some time in Motorrad Central in Kirkintilloch.

Neither of them really inspired me to get out my plastic and place a deposit.

Now this might be because I've been very much in two minds about the whole thing anyway. Close to £10K is a serious sum on money to spend on a bike . However I'm very gradually coming round to thinking that this could a bike that I might have for the rest of my riding life and it would be ideally suited for the sort of twisty B roads and unclassifieds that are the routes in my favoured wilderness areas.

So....... Where am I going to buy the bloody thing? I take it that it's impossible to get a deal on a GS since the dealerships seem to be able to sell every one that they can get their hands on.

Mottorad Central are quoting August delivery and John Clark said September.

Have you tried Calterdon...............?

Calterdon Ltd
26 Harbour Road
Inverness
IV1 1UA
Tel:01463 236566

They have a Flat attached to the Showroom you can book FOC if you don't want to travel both ways in a day for say a service or repair...........not that you'll be needing any repairs..........;)

CC

:cool:

No I haven't tried the Invernusians. It's a bit far to go from here next to the Forth Bridge to Inverness to buy a bike. Why don't we have an Edinburgh dealership?

Schtum said:
No I haven't tried the Invernusians. It's a bit far to go from here next to the Forth Bridge to Inverness to buy a bike. Why don't we have an Edinburgh dealership?

We used to it was Two Wheels, I believe BMW went to single franchise outlets, thank goodness Mottarad Central have opened my dealer of choice.

And given the No of BMW riders in Scotland I dont think any more dealers could make a living out of us riders.

Pete A

Schtum said:
Why don't we have an Edinburgh dealership?

I recently wrote an e-mail to BMW on this very issue. Took the address from their website. Needless to say, I haven't received a response! :rolleyes:

BTW, just as well that Two Wheels aren't a BMW dealer as they aren't much cop as a Honda dealer! :(

SITC

SpyInTheCamp said:
I recently wrote an e-mail to BMW on this very issue. Took the address from their website. Needless to say, I haven't received a response! :rolleyes:

BTW, just as well that Two Wheels aren't a BMW dealer as they aren't much cop as a Honda dealer! :(

SITC

Just over a 18mts ago a business partner & myself embarked on negotiations with BMW GB with a view to opening a BMW Motorcycle dealership in the greater Edinburgh area.

It was after Motorrad Central had been appointed over in Glasgow, but before they actually opened for business.

Apart from the fact that we were not able to satisfy some of BMW's stringent conditions, were were made aware that BMW were mainly interested in opening new 'solus' bike dealerships central to the main areas of BMW ownership. That is to say Glasgow......

They conceded that although the Edinburgh area did indeed have the second highest concentration of BMW bike owners, the total Scottish ownership 'parc' of some 1100 owners, could not commercially support 4/5 dealerships, which would have been the total had Aberdeen continued to operate fully.

BMW could not, at that time, envisage a situation where the bike franchise would be taken away from either Inverness or Dundee purely to make way for a new dealership in the Edinburgh area.

BMW's view was that Edinburgh owners had 'only' 55 miles or so to travel to either Glasgow or Dundee for sales or service and that this was 'within BMW AG tolerance'......

I have to admit that there is nothing I would like more than for a BMW bike dealership to open in Edinburgh, and even to be involved with it in some way, but realistically the total number of BMW owners in Scotland & more specifically the Edinburgh area will have to increase by around 25% before it would become a commercially viable proposition for both the new business and BMW GB.

There is no way they would countenance the opening of a new dealership 'on a wing & a prayer' in the hope that it would at some time in the future become commercially viable. The business plan would have to be solid gold from day one.

Remember it's not just bike sales that make the business profitable, but the after sales, service, clothing etc.......and BMW wouldn't want to dilute the business of those dealerships already established.

Perhaps the BMW dealers who lurk this forum, as well as the Bracknell boys would like to comment..........?

That is interesting to learn and it all makes sense too. Sadly!

For me, this could become a significant issue if I decide that I'd like a BMW for my next bike. Moreso given the fact that I live in the Borders. So, a round trip to the Glasgow dealership is over 140 miles.

If I do decide on a BMW, I think that I will seriously consider either a parallel import or just get the official bike and have an Edinburgh shop (MotoCal perhaps) do the servicing. I went with the latter option with my VFR and fortunately didn't have any warranty claims to test whether this was the right thing to do.

So I guess the question is one of whether or not to expect warranty issues? I guess that is almost inevitable with a new bike in its first year of production. :rolleyes:

SITC :confused:

Interesting points.....

.......but you may have problems.....

If you buy a UK BMW you're obliged to have it serviced 'in accordance with BMW's schedule' (which means exactly that, you're NOT obliged to have it done at a BMW dealer)....in order to satisfy the terms of the 2 year BMW warranty.

However, the BMW warranty programme is largely administered by the BMW dealer network, and they even authorise their own warranty claims up to a certain value.

So, you buy your bike, get the 'free' 600m service from the supplying dealer & have subsequent services done at MotoCal or somewhere similar........

Then you need to make a warranty claim, so off you go to your 'local' BMW dealer (not so local, in your case!!) and the first thing he does is enters your bike's frame number in the BMW computer to access the service history, and when only the 600 shows up, he'll say something about the subsequent services, and you'll say something about the fact that MotoCal have done it in accordance with the BMW schedule....Mr BMW dealer will say something like 'How can they....? They don't have the schedule, the BMW MoDiTec computer or the special tools needed to perform certain elements of the service...........'

And so it goes on.......and Mr BMW dealer will deny your warranty claim......as he's obliged to do under the terms of his dealer agreement with BMW.....

So, you've spent £10k on a new BMW, failed to have it properly serviced and you've got unresolved warranty issues and no access to the recall programme.....how does that make you feel, Mr Customer......?

Pretty pissed off, I'll guarantee............... & then you'll come onto forums like this & denigrate BMW's, their after sales service & swear never to buy another.........etc, etc.....and so it goes on....

Don't get me wrong, I'm a dyed in the wool BMW nut, but I'm definately NOT an apologist for some of their business practices....but if you want a new BMW bike, get a proper UK supplied one & have it serviced at a proper BMW dealer......20 years experience of the marque teaches me that it's as much the responsibility of the customer to develop & maintain a decent relationship with his dealer as it is for the dealer to do likewise with his customers.....this will pay dividends when you want a favour, a wee discount on some parts or clothing or a bit more for your P/X......it's also not unheard of for warranty claims to be met in the 25th, 26th or 27th month, or for exceptional claims to be met under the BMW 'goodwill policy' (which is a contradiction in terms, if ever I heard one.......it's not written down anywhere!!)....

Just my experience......

Cheers

Dutch :beer:

Re: Interesting points.....

Dutchman said:
.......but you may have problems.....

If you buy a UK BMW you're obliged to have it serviced 'in accordance with BMW's schedule' (which means exactly that, you're NOT obliged to have it done at a BMW dealer)....in order to satisfy the terms of the 2 year BMW warranty.

However, the BMW warranty programme is largely administered by the BMW dealer network, and they even authorise their own warranty claims up to a certain value.

So, you buy your bike, get the 'free' 600m service from the supplying dealer & have subsequent services done at MotoCal or somewhere similar........

Then you need to make a warranty claim, so off you go to your 'local' BMW dealer (not so local, in your case!!) and the first thing he does is enters your bike's frame number in the BMW computer to access the service history, and when only the 600 shows up, he'll say something about the subsequent services, and you'll say something about the fact that MotoCal have done it in accordance with the BMW schedule....Mr BMW dealer will say something like 'How can they....? They don't have the schedule, the BMW MoDiTec computer or the special tools needed to perform certain elements of the service...........'

And so it goes on.......and Mr BMW dealer will deny your warranty claim......as he's obliged to do under the terms of his dealer agreement with BMW.....

So, you've spent £10k on a new BMW, failed to have it properly serviced and you've got unresolved warranty issues and no access to the recall programme.....how does that make you feel, Mr Customer......?

Pretty pissed off, I'll guarantee............... & then you'll come onto forums like this & denigrate BMW's, their after sales service & swear never to buy another.........etc, etc.....and so it goes on....

Don't get me wrong, I'm a dyed in the wool BMW nut, but I'm definately NOT an apologist for some of their business practices....but if you want a new BMW bike, get a proper UK supplied one & have it serviced at a proper BMW dealer......20 years experience of the marque teaches me that it's as much the responsibility of the customer to develop & maintain a decent relationship with his dealer as it is for the dealer to do likewise with his customers.....this will pay dividends when you want a favour, a wee discount on some parts or clothing or a bit more for your P/X......it's also not unheard of for warranty claims to be met in the 25th, 26th or 27th month, or for exceptional claims to be met under the BMW 'goodwill policy' (which is a contradiction in terms, if ever I heard one.......it's not written down anywhere!!)....

Just my experience......

Cheers

Dutch :beer:

I took the service-yourself route while my bike was under warranty. The part "Mr BMW dealer will say something like 'How can they....? They don't have the schedule, the BMW MoDiTec computer or the special tools needed to perform certain elements of the service.........." you mentioned was a concern to me also, but after discussions with three BMW dealers in my area then general concenus was that any warrany claims WOULD be honoured as long as the fault did not directly relate to any servicing related cock-up such as wondering why the engine seized after running with no oil just after a service. I also took the bike into the dealers after my "home " service for them to check the moditec systems and upload any service patches that may be needed- for this they only charge a minimal fee [ if at all]-

I think the bottom line is, it is a gamble, but these are simple engines etc [tho' home servicing a 1200gs could be a rather steep learning curve for those without canbus knowledge!]:beerjug:

Servicing......

Good points Chris G.......

I know it's not unheard of for dealers to respond in this way, nor is it unheard of for them to SAY that & then recant when the time actually comes to deal with a claim.......it really is up to them on the day, isn't it?

Personally, although I'm more than a little competent tech wise, I wouldn't dream of laying a spanner on a new BMW......not until it was out of warranty & if I kept it beyond that I'd probably get the extended warranty......perpetuating the 'self service v dealer service debate!!)

My first BMW was an airhead R100RT with only 12mts warranty.....after which I did all the servicing myself right up to 40k miles......but then the most complicated bit of workshop equipment you needed was a vacuum guage !!

You might recall that it wasn't that long ago when BMW insisted that you had your bike dealer serviced & we've got a Volkswagen customer to thank for the slight but significant change in the service schedule wording!!

More beer:beerjug:

Dutch

Re: Servicing......

Dutchman said:
Good points Chris G.......

I know it's not unheard of for dealers to respond in this way, nor is it unheard of for them to SAY that & then recant when the time actually comes to deal with a claim.......it really is up to them on the day, isn't it?
Dutch

fair call, althougth I will mention, that after I had done one service and then spent a day following Paul W, Casey, Ian B and Timolgra around the less legal trails in wales, my clutch , well sort of erm died and took most of the drivetrain with it:rolleyes: quick call to mondial asistance, bike to dealers for 5 days and a new primera to bang around in - no bothers:)

odd as it may seem, I live in Livingston just on the west side of Edinburgh and its normally nearly as quick getting to Motorrad central in Glasgow as it is getting to say Two wheels or Alvins at 'normal' times of day.

schnauzer said:
odd as it may seem, I live in Livingston just on the west side of Edinburgh and its normally nearly as quick getting to Motorrad central in Glasgow as it is getting to say Two wheels or Alvins at 'normal' times of day.

Well it would be you're just about in bloody Weegieville.......:rolleyes: Just on the West side of Edinburgh is chez moi. You're in the badlands of West Lothian. You see why we need a rather more select Edinburgh dealership to cater to our more refined tastes.....?

Schtum said:
....................you see why we need a rather more select Edinburgh dealership to cater to our more refined tastes.....?

Speak for yesself, Schtum.........'refined tastes', my arse..........;)

I feel an 'Edinburgh Chapter' coming on.....although Livingstone residents will obviously have to pass the rigerous 'initiation'......:beer:

BTW, Schnauzer, was that YOU on the 720 on Wednesday...... black Adv, alloy top-box...............?

Cheers all....

Dutch

numerous dealers to be found within the bmw dealer network - choose from any within this link

http://www.bmw-dealernet.co.uk/

i live in dumbarton and chose to deal with southport superbikes for the purchase of my gs adv - like yourself i did not particularly like the idea of exchanging 9K with motorrad central

i read with interest the previous threads regarding dealer servicing - its OK to use the dealer if you have a bottomless pit of ready cash - some of us are still on PAYE and not in receipt of fat pensions and various other sub-sources of income

Back
Top Bottom