Interested in a DRZ400E

Herrslinky

Hi guys, found the website on google and lots of info on the DRZ. I figured it would be best to ask here rather than thumpertalk. I've been offered a 2002 DRZ400E for 1300. The bike has done 16000 miles. It's in pretty good condition and has been road registered and has the necessary lights, numberplate, brake light switches etc to make it road legal from new.

However, no indicators (not required?) and a small number plate (will have to change this as the popo are cracking down on this apparently).

There is some corrosion on the forks near the axle.

Rust forming on the downpipe and a bit where the endcan joins the pipe - 20 quid welding job methinks.

The bike has (apparently) been used as a commuter (it has the road-orientated tyres on it).

He mentioned that drz400e's can generate a problem with the cam-chain? What kind of cost would this be at a garage?

What other things should I be looking for? What should of been done at the last service/changed?

I personally think that 1300 is a bit much, but recent posts on here suggest 1300-1600 is the going rate. I've seen an 06 SM going for 1900 with alot less milage. I would be interested in getting SM wheels for the twisties too. How much do you reckon? Is it a set of wheels I just need to get?

I can't think of anything else, but if you know of anything I should be checking for then let me know! Help here would be greatly appreciated.

:thumb

The DR-Z is a fairly robust bike. You need to look for evidence of oil and filter changes every 5k or fewer miles.

The cam chain (actually the cam chain guides) are a weak point. Mine had to be replaced at about 18k miles. See here for details. Many people put manual cam-chain tensioners on to reduce the problem.

Greg

£1300 to £1600 for a bike with MOT, that's about right.
Indicators not required as it's a single seat bike designed for 'off-road' use.
Numberplate size is a DVLA stipulation and is heavily Policed with £30 to £60 FPN issued.
Cam chain tensioner springs snap on bikes that have been revved high. Manual chain tensioners are available, ebay.
If you want an 'SM' then buy one, don't bother trying to convert the 'E' to and 'SM', they share only a few big parts. Suspension, wheels, brakes, clocks, tank, plastics, etc are all different.

Timpo.

your better off on thumpertalk, LOADS more info compared to here,there can be a prob wi the 2nd gear bushing, rare, but mine did it:eek, check the bike pushes very freely, if it feels like the rear brakes sticking a bit, investigate more,make sure it IS the brake
in all a good bike, engine is well built, (i know, mines in bits at the mo)
1200 is a good price:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom