Boxer-Design Quick Action Throttle Adaptor.

st247

Reaction score
Boxer-Design Quick Action Throttle Adaptor.

This post lays out what I found when I came to fit the quick action throttle adaptor from Boxer-Design. Before I go into fitting the adaptor a few lines about the cost and quality of the item.

Price for the adaptor is €49.95, Postage is €21 which gives a total of €70.95. I paid with pay pal and the total price was around £62. A not inconsiderable sum.

The €49.95 cost of the adaptor is debatable. For me the quality of the materials used is poor to say the least. The website says it’s manufactured out of ABS plastic. It may be, but it’s not like any other ABS plastic I’ve seen. It appears to be very brittle and looks almost as though it’s been poorly cast, you can see the outline and what looks to be a poor infill of plastic. I’d say after looking at it that it was made down to a very low price.

The cost of postage though is just taking the piss. The adaptor comes in a box small enough to go through the letter box and weighs next to nothing. If it was to be posted in the UK I’d say no more than £4 (and that’s being generous). The problem lies in the box that it was sent in which was more than four times the size of the item and packed with German newspaper. Not very good at all.

DSCF0307.jpg

DSCF0309.jpg

Fitting the adaptor. The enclosed instructions are a very poor photocopy in German (why can’t they sort out a translation if they’re going to sell to other countries?). The photo’s are particularly poor, poor enough that they were of no use whatsoever.

DSCF0315.jpg

To fit the adaptor I did the following -

1. Remove the screw from the throttle cover and lift off the cover from the top.

DSCF0316.jpg

2. Slacken off the cable adjuster, I needed to slacken it all the way off to get enough slack for the adaptor - meaning none left if needed to slacken it any further.

DSCF0318.jpg

3. Next I picked the cable out of it’s guide and released the nipple from it’s location.

DSCF0319.jpg

4. Fit the adaptor to the throttle tube making sure that the tag goes into the slot.

DSCF0320.jpg

5. Next I refitted the throttle cable

DSCF0321.jpg

6. Now comes the interesting bit. Fitting the cover. The cover comes with a clip for the bottom and a clip for the top to replace the screw. There’s no room to fit a screw now with the thicker adaptor in place.

I got the top and bottom tabs lined up but pushing the cover home broke the bottom tab straight off. Then I noticed the indicator switch stuck tight against the cover.

DSCF0323.jpg

DSCF0325.jpg

After looking there was no way that the cover was going to go on and allow for the switchgear to work.

DSCF0327.jpg

DSCF0329.jpg

I checked the website to see if I’d ordered or received the wrong item.

I ordered the correct item according to the site - PE539/2 which is stated to fit the 2004 - August 2005 r1200gs. What I received was the PE539/2 but the packaging states Sept 2005 - 2007. So i guess that was my error in not checking the packaging correctly:blast

boxerdesign.jpg

DSCF0310.jpg

So I’m not sure where this leaves me, do I have the right or wrong part? If they are different how is it that PE539/1 fits 2004-2007 :nenau

After fitting I did try it, and it did shorten the throw enough to make it a worthwhile mod. I’m just very disappointed with the finish and postal costs of what is an expensive mod.

So the normal throttle is back on and I’ll continue to look around.

I have e-mailed boxer design with a link to this thread, and await their reply. It could be as simple as a packaging, labelling or website error. That doesn’t excuse the quality problems and postage costs.

Overall I’d say top dollar for a R&D item.

When I hear back from Boxer-Design I’ll post it up here.

That didn't take long, I had a reply form Boxer-Design today, pretty good considering I only mailed them on the weekend.

Hello Andy,

thank you for your detailed email and sorry to hear that you have
encountered these problems.

There seems to be no clear cut on manufacturer date when BMW has changed
the design of the switch unit.

Boxerdesign will send you a replacement cover that shall fit your model,
and then of course the indicator cancel switch will work as well.

The actual throttle cable reducer is the same on all models, so that part
you already have in place.

In the past we have sent the cover in a padded envelope to keep the postage
costs down, but then these items have either been lost in the post or been
damaged, therefore we had to revert to the expensive parcel.

You have mentioned the different feel of the cover material to regular ABS,
the reason for it is the fact that each cover is individually produced by a
3D laser.
To set up an ABS cast mold for such small production runs would be
impossible.

When you fit the new cover, please be gentle on the bottom tab.

Please let us know you get on.

Greetings from Boxerdesign

Ok, a quick update.

Been away for the last week camping in the lakes.

On return i found a nice small jiffy bag from boxer design, with the correct throttle cover inside.

After comparing them both the easiest way to see a difference is that the correct part for switchgear like mine has two flats on it instead of one (no photo's at the mo - batteries flat).

So another go at fitting it. Fitting is very easy (with the correct part) and it's now in place. I'll try it for a week or so and then update with how well it works and hopefully some photo's.

I agree, all that money and you don’t even get instructions in English :blast

It all seems very expensive, but let us know how you get on with it :thumb2

Well that was a bloody long week (forgot :toungincheek )

I've used the throttle for about 2000 miles now without any drama. Riding has included the usual commute to work (40 miles of mixed town, dual carriageway and fast b roads) and a trip to london and back, all m-way.

It's definatley an improvement over the original. Full throttle is no longer a two goes affair. Slow and town riding hasn't been compromised, so small controlled throttle openings are still easy.

The best way to describe it is that it's changed the throttle to what you'd expect on a japanese sports bike/ It's certainly not a 1/4 turn throttle.

So was it worth it? I guess it depends how much you struggle with the original. It was worth it for me (having had trouble with both wrists previously).

The only real fly in the ointment is the cost of shipping and the lottery of which part number to go for.

On that subject here's a picture of all the covers.

DSCF0331.JPG

Difficult to give a guide as to which one will fit your bike. As you can see PE539/1 fits with the original that i have. The only differences between that and PE539/2 are that PE539/1 is smaller and has two flats on it. Not sure of an easy way to tell which will fit yours as i've not seen the other type of switchgear in use.

HTH.

OK - this has defeated me - how do you release the nipple from its location? I feel like if i Force it I'm going to tear the plastic housing around it. Any tricks here?

Back
Top Bottom