Engine oil level

Baggyns

I have read in various places about the difficulty in reading the engine oil level in the sight glass. Does anyone have a foolproof method? Even with two pairs of specs I cannot tell if my 1150 has none at all or too much.

I dont know it is fool proof, but I use the same method each time which is to park my GS on the side stand when the engine is at 5 Bars then a while later put the bike on the centre stand for a few minutes and check the level.

that way i know if the level is down on my previous checks.

foolproof method ?

I do similar/same.

Put on side stand for half an hour or overnight even better.
Put on center stand and read the level.
I find it does not matter how long you put on the center it will be the same. But without being on the side first I find the reading to be low.

If doing an oil change be sure to measure the oil and only put the correct amount in. Last oil change I did was on the center stand, but no oil would appear in the sight glass. Not even after I put on the side stand followed by the center. Eventually I turned the engine for half a second. Immediately the level came up.

When topping up you have to be really careful not to over do it. In my experience it may look like putting oil in appears to be indicated in the sight glass but you can bet not all of it is. Then one you have had on the side for a while you will find the level suddenly increases. It is all a bit of a faff.

I only once tried to fill past the dot and after being very careful I over filled by a bit. But this was only apparent the next day.

You should check out http://www.micapeak.com/bmw/gs/gs_tel2.html#oillevel

Thanks for this. Looks like I've overfilled it. Ho-hum, time to get the drip tray out. You would think that BMW could come up with something better than this on such a fabulous bike.

Gulp - oil problems

Now I've got a test ride on a GS on Saturday and the cheque almost written in my mind and then all I seem to be seeing is "uses oil for the first 20k miles" and "difficult to tell what the oil level is".

Coming from a Japanese bike that has used a thimblefull in 30k miles it seems a bit worrying. How sensitive is the engine to oil levels/how much margin for error is there. It seems like GS owners spend half the time tipping the bike around see what the levels are. Please set my mind at rest.

Re: Gulp - oil problems

Timbo said:
Now I've got a test ride on a GS on Saturday and the cheque almost written in my mind and then all I seem to be seeing is "uses oil for the first 20k miles" and "difficult to tell what the oil level is".
Please set my mind at rest.

I'll try.
My GS, nearly 8K miles from new on 1 March, has had almost a litre of oil added to it by me.
This is in addition to oil added during the two services that it has had.

When I put oil in I measure the amount I add and add it in small amounts over a few days (well, I would, if I actually had to add any quantity).
What I normally find is that 100ml is sufficient to top it up.

I measure the oil on the centrestand after leaving the bike on the centrestand overnight.
I've yet to see the oil ever come over the top of the sight glass.

So, it is annoying and not as good as it could be, but coming from a Jap bike that leaked about a litre per thou from the cylinder head gasket (GT550) I'm quite happy.

Timbo
Once a week is enough to check the oil level, stick the GS on the side stand Friday evening, Saturday mornig check the level.

My 2002 GSwith 3K on the clock used .2 of a litre in 2000 miles. Not what I would call exsessive.

If I need to top up between changes I use a syringe and put in a small amount at a time, saves over filling.

Hope that helps.

I bought 5 litres of Castrol from Halfords

It came with a free 1 litre pack.

The 1 litre pack has a handy see through measuring scale on the side. I always use this for top ups and never add more than 200ml slugs at a time.

I only add oil once the level has dropped below the centre of the sight glass. I find that 200ml will then bring the level to a point somewhere between the centre and top of the sight glass.

If you ensure that the oil level never fills the sight glass then you know that you have not overfilled it.

I bought my bike with 10k miles. It used about 500ml per 1000 miles. I have been using mineral oil for top ups and the oil consumption has gradually dropped to about 200ml in 2000 miles at 16k miles.

TIMBO

I sympathise. I walked into the showroom, (after waiting 4 months for delivery) and staight away went looking for the oil sight glass.

For the first 6 months (10k) I was paranoid, and yes it did use a lot of oil. But then I just got into the habit of putting it on the sidestand for a while every evening whilst I changed out of my riding gear, put the kettle on etc, then putting it on the centre stand in the garage.

Next morning (whilst removing the lock), quick check of oil (5- litre can and rubber gloves always to hand, so no excuses) and top up if necessary.

And being ultra paranoid, I also got into the habit of putting it on the centre stand to fill up with petrol, and making sure some oil was visible before leaving the forecourt - this never meant waiting more than a minute or two longer than filling and paying had taken.

(OK - I did carry around a spirit level to place on the tank to make sure it was a level forecourt but this probably isn't necessary)

It has now done 23k, I still check before every ride, but toping up is largely a thing of the past.

Buy the bike, and kneel before her (him) every morning - its part of the relationship building thing :)

PS - only thing I would say is if you regularly leave it on the sidestand it burns oil when you first start up, which can increase consumption.

Thanks

Mind now at rest again. Now where was the cheque book?

BTW if its a him or a her does that mean they have names as well??

REG: MNM - I wanted to call it/him/her 'Ken Kanif', Eminem - Gedditt??? .
No? Well no one else did either. It appears that those who ride BMW's dont listen to Eminem and vice versa.

So Emma re-nammed him/her/it 'Peanut'. 'Cause peanut m'n'm's are the best. (Apparently) :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom