Got me one :-)

dibdob69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Today i picked up my new 650 X Challenge :D I bought it of a really nice chap called Paul in Oxford:thumb On the way home i popped into North Oxford BMW and ordered some frame guards.
IMG_0674.jpg

Right the story so far, I have received a frame guard (you only get one :nenau)and a replacement steel gear leaver for a KX60.

Today i popped into my local off road shop, bought some extra heavy duty tubes, a bottle of slime and a rear rim lock (i don't bother with a front as i always get punctures right were its fitted :() I also managed to scrounge an old pair of MT21's for nothing, They will do till the first rally comes along :D

I have ordered a Scorpion Exhaust, a BMW Headlight Guard and 14 tooth front sprocket.

Next up i need the replace the clutch and front brake leavers, as the chap i bought the bike of cut the balls ends of so the handguards would fit. Then i going to try and make a sump guard, I think the £180 Touratech want is a bit over priced, Then sort out the rear end with some smaller indicators and fabricate some sort of tail tidy.

I will be fitting some wider bars and some bar risers i have spare the back of the garage.

I think I'm going to replace the rear Air shock for a HAGON unit, at £275 it sounds like a good deal :thumb

Nice on . it sounds like you are getting it sorted .:thumb

Can I ask who you ordered the Scorpion from , lead time and the cost if that's not too cheeky?;)

Nice on . it sounds like you are getting it sorted .:thumb

Can I ask who you ordered the Scorpion from , lead time and the cost if that's not too cheeky?;)

I ordered mine from here http://www.bikebitzuk.co.uk/ £217 i think but I'm having to wait till they get in on Friday should be here on Monday, You could try http://www.metalmule.com/ They had one on the shelf but are a bit more money, Give them a call as they don't list one but they do sell them :thumb

Headlight guard and front sprocket turned up today :bounce1 fitted the headlight guard very nice but when i took the front sprocket out it was another 15 tooth :nenau i ordered a one tooth less than standard but they thought the standard was a 16 :rolleyes: I ran Wemoto they are happy to swap it, so if you order one ask for a 14 tooth :thumb

Also i fitted some wider bars off a KTM EXC they look and feel much better but the bar risers i had wouldn't fit :(

Yesterday i took the road tyres off the wheels, all being well i should have a set of Trelleborg T-644 Army Special arriving on Monday, I already have Heavy duty tube's, Tyre slime and a rear rim lock so these will go on ASAP.

I received my KX60 gear lever on Friday and i have now drilled some holes in it so it will hopefully bend and not snap the shaft off.

I should get my Scorpion exhaust on Monday as well :D I ordered some replacement clutch and brake levers along with a 14 tooth front sprocket on Thursday so they might arrive tomorrow as well, along with two new axle nuts because some one had replaced them with some very suspect items, I had to order them from two different BMW dealers as they were the only two in the country :rolleyes:

I have also made a template for a tail tidy but i will need to fit the new exhaust before i know its going to fit alright, Got my self some small rubber mounted indicators for the rear to save the originals.

Why do BMW think its a good idea to paint the rear mudguard on a off road bike :( ?????? I must of cracked the paint half a dozen times just moving the bike in and out of the garage :tears

Now i must decide weather to fork out for a Hagon rear shock :rolleyes: you never know Santa might bring me one :bounce1

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Which levers have you bought? Are they the standard bmw items??

One of the first things i did was to replace the chain guard with the TT item, which is more of a chain "guide", and a much more effective and robust item. It should also do a better job of making sure the chain stays feeding onto the rear sprocket.

Nathan

:thumb
Which levers have you bought? Are they the standard bmw items??

One of the first things i did was to replace the chain guard with the TT item, which is more of a chain "guide", and a much more effective and robust item. It should also do a better job of making sure the chain stays feeding onto the rear sprocket.

Nathan

No chap, I have done a bit of research and ordered a brake lever off a BMW f650gs and a clutch lever off a DRZ 400 both from Wemoto.com, I will let you know how they fit :augie

Do you mean one of these ? http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/...=7823&osCsid=dfdc0815557b8cc225fb6a68a577e2a8 because its on me list :thumb

nice garage :)

will be interested to hear how you get on with the army specials, i put a set on my drz and whilst i found them real good off road, didn't feel too stable on road. i got my xch recently too and the rear mt21 is pretty worn but was going to try and get some mileage on it before replacing and i hadnt decided whether to go for another mt21 or the mitas c02 both of which seem popular on here

bw

I would stongly advise against the army specials. I have run them on my dakar in the Cambrian and also on the local lanes. When they are new, they grip and you think wow what a tyre. 1000 miles later, they suck suck suck! This sentiment has been echoed by a fellow rider that had them on a te410 husky.

On the road in the wet they are out right dangerous.

The Army Specials are only for the odd day out on some green lanes and the occasional commute to work, If i put some soft enduro tyres on they wouldn't last 2 minuets. I ran A/S's on my KTM 620 and they were fine.

When i do the Rallies next year, Which is what i got the bike for, I will be using a Michelin comp 4 on the front and a comp 3 or a Mitas c02 on the rear.

The Scorpion Exhaust turned up today and looks good but sounds fantastic with the baffle taken out :D but far to noise for road use :rolleyes:
IMG_0711.jpg

The levers came as well and fitted perfectly £25 for the two instead of the £100 BMW wanted :thumb
IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

And i fitted the KX Gear lever replacing the nasty bolt with a stainless steel Allen-head item.
IMG_0710.jpg

One of the axle bolts arrived but no tyres yet :(

Today i ordered the Hagon shock and some Touratech bits, a chain guide, a small rear rack and some 20mm bar risers. Ive also ordered a KTM front fender.

watch you left pant leg with the scorpion exhaust. you need a big ole heat shield.

The shock turned up on Tuesday along with the KTM EXC front mudguard and the other wheel nut but no Tyres which I'm pi**ed about :( because when i spoke the them on Friday they said i would get them on Monday, Rang back Wednesday but they weren't answering the phone, Broke up for Christmas i bet :blast and the Touratech bits will take 2 weeks (Do they actually stock anything in this country ???)

Been working hard MYSELF this week :augie but i hope to carry on with the bike tomorrow :thumb

I fitted the Hagon rear shock, Very easy, 10 min job and looks like a nice piece of kit :thumb

IMG_0725-1.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

I also fitted a UFO Front fender for a KTM, this is quite difficult :( as you have to make a bracket to hold the fender and support the front light :augie

IMG_0730-1.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

Have you cut in air vent slots in the rear of the fender for air flow to the radiator this added air is required.

Not yet chap but i will be :thumb Still got a few things to do before i can take it for a ride :augie The tyres i ordered over a week ago getting here would be nice :blast

numpty question alert!!

Whats the benifit of the Hagon shock over the original?:nenau

Nice bike by the way:thumb

Richie:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom