Replacement Rear Shock

dibdob69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I sent an Email to Hagon shocks today and this was the reply i receaved :thumb2

Hello Mark and thank you for your enquiry,
We can supply a replacement for the G650X , please confirm you have a frame prefix of WB1016. See below for details.
The Hagon monoshock for your bike is £275.00 including vat and free UK delivery except Northern Ireland, which incurs a £15.00 surcharge.

Our Hagon shock has adjustment for pre load as well as compression and rebound damping linked on a single adjuster.
It comes complete with all tools for adjustment and fitting instructions.
The Hagon shock is guaranteed for 2 years and is fully rebuildable.

We can also supply custom built Hagon monoshocks including seat lowering options, you can specify reductions in your seat height in 10mm increments from standard to a maximum of 50mm.
Please state proportion of solo/pillion/luggage use and weights of rider(s) when ordering.
If you choose the bigger reductions you may need to modify your side stand as the bike will not lean sufficiently for stable parking it will also be more difficult to lift the bike onto it’s centre stand.
We can also custom build for heavy rider & pillion, Light solo only, harder and softer springs. £325.00 including vat.

Many of our Hagon monoshocks can be supplied with the added convenience of our Hagon hydraulic preload adjuster at a cost of an additional £125.00 including vat. This is a great benefit if you are touring.

We can also supply Hagon fork springs for your bike at £67.50 including oil and fitting instructions. Our progressive spring kits are designed to retain a comfortable ride at the top of the fork travel while offering superior control under hard braking.

We accept all major credit/ debit cards.

Regards
Hagon Sales Team
7 Roebuck Road
Hainault Business Park
Hainault, Essex
IG6 3JH
Phone 0208 502 6222 Fax 0208 502 6274
Mon-Fri 9.00am to 5.30pm Sat 9.00am to 1.00pm

How are you getting on with the Hagon shock, have you tried it out anymore offroad?
Have youfitted theHagon progressive springs to the forks?

Which shock

OK, despite being skint after christmas and moving house I might have to put my hand in my pocket for a new shock. The original was replaced under warranty after it started squeaking. With over 30k on the clock the replacement is also squeaking and the local bmw dealer tells me this is a sign of internal wear. Squirting silicone grease down the air valve reduced it for a while but it is now as bad as ever.

Question is which replacement?
Hagon is a very good price (£275) and, as a UK company, I am dealing with someone close to home with a 2 year warranty. Not many reviews though and the spec seems pretty basic with a single damping adjuster for rebound and compression.
Hyperpro seems to be highly recommended and has the spec, hi and lo speed damping etc (£590). There is also an emulsion model which is cheaper (£370), probably similar to hagon.
Ohlins is more expensive than the hyperpro (£720) and seems to have a lower spec. Reviews are not quite as positive as the Hyperpro.

My riding:
The std airbag has served me well; on the daily commute (most of my riding), local trails and fully loaded over the Pyrenees. To be honest, once I got used to it and got the presure right, I found it did the job well. Combined with wp43 forks it is good enough that I am able to ride my bike faster on the local trails than my mate can ride his crf450; we swapped bikes and the Xch is still faster due to the plush ride giving greater grip and confidence.

I am not willing to lose any performance, of course an improvement would be nice. I doubt there are many who have ridden bikes fitted with different aftermarket shocks to give a comparison of each make. Comparisons to standard should be possible though.

Opinions?

I sold the Hagon shock when the XC went but the chap that bought it of me bent it first time out in one of the BBRC events, He got in touch with Hagon but had no luck sorting a replacement or refund :(

So i wouldn't bother with a Hagon unit :thumb

Loving my new Ohlins I bought from a fine felow of this parish :thumb2 I never had any beef with the air shock and didn't think I was a good enough rider to warrent the Ohlins but even on the first outing it was noticably a much better unit

As a different angle on this i would be interested to hear how long the air shocks last once they start squeaking before they fail? or has that not happened to anyone so far?:nenau

Mine has been sqeeking for a whille now. i've tried plenty of silicone spray and it's not made any difference.

it still works, but doesn't hold air very well.

I did contact continental to see if there was a service centre for them.

Unfortunately there isn't. i was just told to go back to bmw.:blast

Looking forward to trying out the hyperpro offering soon....

Lot's of people have good things to say about Hyperpro. Bas will build one to your spec and Euro rate is favourable at the moment so it might be better to get one from Holland. Bas often has people coming back and to from his workshop so postage maybe reduced to. He's a nice guy and it's well worth speaking to him.

Hyperpro service Alphen

bas@hyperpro.com

Although I am favouring the hyperpo over ohlins, there is an ohlins group buy on advrider at the moment. I emailed for a quote, mentioning postage issues from overseas.

Not sure if I should be posting up the price here as the advrider thread asks for people to email for quotes as he is not allowed to advertise reduced prices. I will say that, even allowing form shipping costs, it is competitive enough to make it worth going for the ohlins, assuming the ohlins and hyperpro are judged to be of equal quality. As for which is the better shock???

david@fastbikeindustries.com

have you allowed for import duties as well ? i liked the ohlins on Craigs bike but am still planning on going for the hyperpro with its thicker damper rod or whatever its called i think someone on here has had both and prefered the hyperpro

Last edited:
That may be the missing piece of the puzzle. I have would like to hear from somone with 1st hand experience of both shocks. I have contacted Bas as well so will await his recommendation for the best spec and a price.

Import taxes have been included, as has an unmarked box, a handful of mud and a description to match :augie

Magno in his frame strengthening thread wrote

"Hyperpro shock is alot better than the standard and a step on from the ohlins on my mates bike."

I've tried both - Hyperpro seems more compliant in the first part of the travel and then firms up progressively. TBH I've very limited time on the Ohlins but you can certainly feel the difference between the 2.

I now have WP forks on my bike that were built by Bas to compliment the rear Hyperpro. The difference between the 2 setups (my mate has standard front end and ohlins) is astounding.

My advice is if you're going to change the rear get some 43mm WP forks to get the setup right. 43mm WP's are cheap and fit straight into the triples. You only have to modify the axle or axle clamp and make a brake caliper mount (Erik from HotRod has these). There's plenty of info on the WP conversions on here and ADVRider.

Thanks Magno. Very useful information. I expect it will be a hyperpro then. I already have WP43 forks, although still with standard damping. A lot of the advrider info came from me (aka jester).

I just had a chat with Bas. He certainly knows his stuff. He is very happy to discuss exact requirements and custom build a shock. Even if the ohlins shock can be obtained a bit cheaper I will be going hyperpro because I will get a shock built for my weight and use rather than something off the shelf. Support will be easier as well. I don't fancy trying to deal with someone in the states if I have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom