Ferries From France

Bødkerman

Reaction score
I am looking to return to the UK from France by ferry and wondered whether our Continental cousins have any advice on what the cheapest route would be, at present I have £49 from Dunkirk to Dover for myself & the bike.

note. I am only going one way.

Mike.

You didn't say when your traveling but I'm about to book with Ferrysavers.com for a return only from France to Blighty. £37.55 (but we're nitpicking now)

Nitpicking

I am looking to escape France back to Blighty on Friday 25th June.

I do not which way I get back so long as i stay dry & the bike is on the same ferry...now I'm nitpicking!!!!

Mike.

Eurotunnel do a single fare for £79 France to UK, but £48 for a return.....

Fare type Advanced
Booking
Requirement* Amendable**
Refundable
Price online Select
here

STANDARD Day of Travel Yes, no fee Yes, no fee £48.00
*Single, Club and Standard tickets are available on the day of travel, however if purchased at Check-in a supplement will apply to the prices

Tunnel

What ever you do keep away from the channel tunnel, 2 years ago I came back from a trip to europe early decided to take the tunnel, 180 euro, one way for a motorcycle.

regards j

Re: Tunnel

Joe said:
What ever you do keep away from the channel tunnel, 2 years ago I came back from a trip to europe early decided to take the tunnel, 180 euro, one way for a motorcycle.

regards j

Tunnel is only expensive if you don't pre-book.

We're using it again this year for the grand sum of £83.50 return - a bargain considering it's only a 25 min crossing and you don't have to strap the bike down. I doubt I'll use ferries again unless I have to.

Adam :)

Re: Re: Tunnel

adamski49 said:
a bargain considering it's only a 25 min crossing and you don't have to strap the bike down. I doubt I'll use ferries again unless I have to.

Adam :)

I agree, I slip over the ditch at least 3 times a year and haven't used the ferry since the tunnel opened its doors.

I took the bike over the first year it opened and they gave us these to use (pic below)

Been over in the cage ever since (larger wine and fag capacity!) .

Do they still use these stands (very good if i remember, would like to see them on ferries) ?

Attachments

• screenshot036.jpg
    screenshot036.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 89
Just back from France & Italy and they stopped using the stands a while back. Now side stand, in gear with front wheel into kerb.
The return fare cost me £90 but that was with discount (a friend works for Eurotunnel). Always use the tunnel for the time saving.
13 years european lorry driver just want to get across water asap.

Just priced up a return for car and four people to Cork from Roscoff. Came to Euro 1240.

Then I checked out Ryan Air and fly four to Dublin for 160Euro and rent a car for two weeks 500 Euros.

It is a no brainer. Why waste 30 hours worth of time traveling when I can leave my house at 8 fly to dublin by 11 and drive to Co cork in around three hours.

I know its not the same prices with bikes. But as far as anyone coming over here from the north is concerned flying prestwick to brussels south and then renting a bike could be a good idea...

Re: Re: Re: Tunnel

whatton63 said:
I agree, I slip over the ditch at least 3 times a year and haven't used the ferry since the tunnel opened its doors.

I took the bike over the first year it opened and they gave us these to use (pic below)

Been over in the cage ever since (larger wine and fag capacity!) .

Do they still use these stands (very good if i remember, would like to see them on ferries) ?

No.

Also depending on the train crew you have to park diferently. Some, usually English, want to you park with your front wheel wedged into the small kerb, others, usually French, have you parallel park!

richie said:
Just priced up a return for car and four people to Cork from Roscoff. Came to Euro 1240.

Then I checked out Ryan Air and fly four to Dublin for 160Euro and rent a car for two weeks 500 Euros.

It is a no brainer. Why waste 30 hours worth of time traveling when I can leave my house at 8 fly to dublin by 11 and drive to Co cork in around three hours.

I know its not the same prices with bikes. But as far as anyone coming over here from the north is concerned flying prestwick to brussels south and then renting a bike could be a good idea...

Ritchie, the same goes for almost anywhere that budget airlines fly to. My brother did Malaga in the spring for £19 each way on Easyjet, then £85 for a car for the week. It would hve taken longer and cost way more to have gone by R1.

Back
Top Bottom