High Altitudes, Bad Waitresses and Chemical Weapons...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
7th June

Having spent Sunday doing my chores (laundry etc), plus recovering from a fairly spectacular hangover… I set off at 0900 heading north towards Salt Lake City. I’m approaching 66k miles, when I’m due to do a minor service on the bike. My plan is to get BMW Salt Lake to do an oil & filter change tomorrow (they do a ridiculously cheap deal) and then leave the other service bits until I get to see Jorge and Sheila at the weekend. I ride up the US89, rather than the freeway, which I experienced at Easter, when I had to visit Salt Lake to get new tyres…

I ride through Cedar City and then into Cedar Breaks National Monument. The road climbs to over 10,000ft and the views on the way up are great…

4936219-L-1.jpg

…but pale in comparison by those from the visitor centre…

4936222-L.jpg

…and yes, that white stuff is snow :D. Further on the views continue to impress…

4936238-L-1.jpg

I follow the road down to Panguitch, where I spent a couple of nights back in April. I stop for brunch at a small diner and the waitress tries to rip me off by charging me for a different breakfast. I’d normally give someone the benefit of the doubt – but in this case I knew it was deliberate – I get the bill adjusted and depart (without leaving a tip). Good breakfast though :thumb

4936241-L.jpg

I continue up the 89, which is a very pleasant ride – it’s a 'cool' 84º F this morning – a pleasant change from the high temperatures of the last few days. I ride the route Betty & I worked out last night.

I don’t know anything about horses, but there was something about this small herd with a couple of foals that made me turn around and take a picture…

4936184-L.jpg

As I near Salt Lake, I become aware of a large Army presence – it seems that this area hosts a major series of supply depots. On the hillside I recognise munitions bunkers and a reference on a street sign to ‘Chemical Stockpile Outreach Program’ – which sounds as odd an idea as I’ve heard of :D. I also notice, every few miles, these things…

4936189-L-1.jpg

…which, according to the signs on them…

4936194-L.jpg

…are some form of warning system. There are also a plethora of blank electronic roadside signs – my suspicious mind turns to evacuation procedures in case of chemical weaponry leaks… But, hell, what do I know…

I spot a Best Western in Tooele (I’ve no idea how to pronounce it*) and check in for the night. Salt Lake City tomorrow, then into Idaho tomorrow evening. Unless something else comes up…:D

4938061-L.jpg

*EDIT: Apparently it's pronounced 'Twilla'

Back
Top Bottom