Just bought one

bodge it

Reaction score
I been looking at them for ages, as an alternative to taking my 1200 Adventure to Morroco and trashing it. I've looked at all the comments on the Tenere online and Youtube videos.

Anyway I saw one for sale (09 £3,000miles), in Edingbourgh ( I live in Woking, Surrey). So I bought it. Never ridden one, but sat on one once in a showroom. I decided that a ride from Edingbourgh to Woking (530 miles pretty route) would make my mind up if I liked it or not.

So I flew up to Edingbourgh, collected the bike and road home, I thought if it the going got tough I would stop overnight somewhere.

I'd read so many varying comments that I really didn't know what to expect. I've got a WR450 for playing around in the mud and that sounds like a bag of nails until you open it up.

First impressions was that it was tall like the Adventure, which I liked (I'm 5ft 10"). It felt like a cut down Adventure, and sounded like my WR450. I drove through the rush hour traffice in Edingborough and loved it, went through gaps that I couldn't get the Adventure through. I thought, this isn't so bad as I thought.

I tie wrapped my Garmin Zumo on the little bar on the screen, which fitted perfectly and followed a route I had plotted the night before. Through the Northumberland National park and then the Yorkshire Dales. I loved the bike, for me it had quite a bit of poke when you opened it up, not likethe Adventure but real fun to ride. Could easily zip along through the bends and over the hills. I didn't want to get off and just kept going.

Before I knew it I was in the Yorkshire Dales and my Satnav got confused at a new bit of dual carriage way, and it ended up taking me down a Green Lane. Well it was as close to heaven as you can get, up on the pegs and away.

Cut a long story short, got to Birmingham and decided to get on the motorway. Opened it up and came all the way home with a grin on my face and millions of flies in my teeth. It buzzed a little bit (through the grips)at high speed on the motorway but didn't vibrate. You couldn't really complain.

Anyway got home and was dissapointed that the trip had finnished. Got an achy bum towads the end, but after 530 miles that's to be expected. Fuel consumption was misserly.

Verdict, I love it.

Well done bodge it. I have geared mine down one tooth less at the front, which is much better for off road and also it picks up quicker and will still do 90mph plus according to my zumo 550. The speedo is not very accurate on the Ten

You bought the one with the scratched tank? Sounds like a great price nevertheless.

Mine's now done 13,000km and is in storage in Marbella waiting for me to fly in for my next trip. This is much cheaper than ferries and riding through Spain.

Definitely could do with one tooth less on the front sprocket for offroading. Maybe some more teeth on the rear as well.

Tim,

Yes. it was the one with the scratched tank, probablty have a few more with me riding it.

Great little bike, I'm refering to a lot of your advice for our Morocco trip.

I've been sat on one today; much like yourself i have 1200gsa but fancy something smaller to use without bothering too much if not on tarmac - will need to watch for a cheaper one than the showroom price:augie and try to hide it from the wife:D

Good write up from Bodge it, been without a bike for a few months now for the first time in 11 years. Thought getting a decent car would help fill the void. How wrong was I:(

I really fancy a tenere. Anyone comment on how good there are two up? It wont be a regular occurence but its something I need to consider. I am 13 stone, the wife about 9 1/2. (her boobs are two stone of that!!!):D

Cheers Stuart.

ps. no pics!!:D

They really are a good bike.

Just sold my 09 Ten after 8000 miles.

Cannot comment on 2 up.

Just bought myself a f 800 gs and it it dosen't suit,then i will be buying another.

Gary.

Back
Top Bottom