Going back to Going to the Sun, Bike drops and Mountain Goats...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2nd July

I wake very early and, deciding that the light will be better this early in the morning, pack and leave at 0705…

I pass a drive-through Bear Park…

5727324-L.jpg

Wise words…

I’m soon entering the now familiar Western entrance to the Park, and turning right onto Going to the Sun Highway…

5726722-L.jpg

…the lake reflects the muted early morning sun, diffused by the low cloud still hanging in the valleys to the north. I start the long climb up towards Logan Pass. I stop to take a picture, get off the bike and watch as it slowly topples over the sidestand and settles down on its left side with a muffled crump. I’d inadvertently chosen a bit of bad camber to stop on, and the CofG of the bike allowed Newton to take over. Bugger.

5726724-L.jpg

First things first – I take a picture :D. Thankfully, a team of University of Idaho students turn up in a minibus and heave the Adv upright again without a drama. By the time I’ve parked the bike on more level ground, they’ve disappeared again – what a nice bunch of guys :thumb… An initial examination reveals some very minor scratches on my pannier, some gouges in the left crashbar…

5726726-L.jpg

…however, later inspection reveals a dent in the tank as well. Bum. Anyhow – here’s the picture I stopped to take :D

5726728-L.jpg

I keep climbing – there are several set of roadworks here, trying to keep this precarious road open is a full time job…

5726730-L-1.jpg

As I approach the summit of Logans Pass, I run into some locals…

5726732-L.jpg

…one of whom has brought one of the kids along…

5726734-L.jpg

I ride over the other side of the Pass and see some other residents – these are Bighorns – can’t imagine how they got that name…

5726737-L-1.jpg

I continue the long descent…

5726739-L.jpg

…towards St Mary Lake…

5726741-L.jpg

…before rejoining US89, but this time turning north…

5726744-L.jpg

…past a ‘drive-out’ of old Americana, and towards the Canadian border.

5726746-L.jpg

I get there at about 1030 and, after surprisingly little bureaucracy, I ride into Alberta. I switch my GPS over to ‘metric’, so I have a kph speedometer at a glance and continue north. However, seeing a thunderstorm the size of a very large thing on the horizon…

5726720-L.jpg

…I decide to wimp out and stop in a motel in Fort MacLeod. The room costs me $60 (Canadian) – about £24 – which is excellent value. I unpack whilst listening to the rain hammering on the roof…

5726748-L.jpg

5726751-L-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom