headlight fuse blows

elbowsg450x

my headlight main beam (10amp) fuse keeps blowing.

it did it once and i thought it was just one of those things but it did it again on the next ride.

it means i cant prime the engine with fuel before starting and got caught in the dark on the way home lastnight

anyone knows why it is happening?

faulty rectifier maybe?

cheers

You're right to be worried about the reg-rec as this is often a sign that something's going wrong.

Get a meter on there as soon as possible - check for DC and AC. Any DC value over 14V when you rev it is a concern and any significant AC voltage more than about 1V is also a worry (but can take an oscilloscope to interpret properly).

If in doubt, get an auto electrician to check it for you. Don't ignore it as electrical problems tend to fail at the worst possible moment and in this case it could take out your ECU and the rest of the electrics. Someone I know was doing 90MPH+ on the backroads at night and all the warning he had was "Why is my headlamp getting brighter?" followed by "Where's the road gone and why has the engine stopped?" :eek

its only 6 months old so will take it back and let the dealers sort it out.

i hope this isnt the start of it again! my last one started out with strange little issues which grew until the bike wouldnt start or run.

Back
Top Bottom