London to Thailand

ARMA

Reaction score
Still in planning stages but looking like from London through Europe, into Turkey, Iran and then ship to India or directly into Thailand from Iran (avoiding as much paperwork as possible). Aiming around late June so just enough time for Visa, carnet etc. Doing it on a 650 single. Hoping to plan around the need for a Carnet altogether so India might be out.
As I say, early stages of planning yet.

Ah very nice, mines london - south africa, ship my GSA to OZ check out there little rock, before another ship to home in NZ :)

London to Bangkok

Still in planning stages but looking like from London through Europe, into Turkey, Iran and then ship to India or directly into Thailand from Iran (avoiding as much paperwork as possible). Aiming around late June so just enough time for Visa, carnet etc. Doing it on a 650 single. Hoping to plan around the need for a Carnet altogether so India might be out.

We are also planning, I am buying the unit in London the rest of my group will send it to UK by sea vessel. Our problem is not India but Burma. Even without CARNET, you can enter India with the help of a fixer at the border. If crossing Burma to Thailand is not possible, we go up to Nepal, and from there airship the bikes to BKK.

Hiya

your timings look along the same lines as mine.

My destinations are unplanned, my routes completely unknown; the fun of this is that my trip will be open ended... time off work will no longer be an issue!

I've seen a warning though on HU that turkey should be left at the latest by end June, if travelling thru Iran/the stans/india, to avoid the worst of the their weathers?

:thumb

You'll need a Carnet for Iran I'm afraid. One Carnet will do for the countries you chose to visit, so a one off cost. A 650 single 'down valued' won't cost too much, certainly cheaper than shipping I guess ;)

I think the RAC valued my F800GS at £3,000 for Carnets to Iran and Pakistan :eek:

All the best with the trip :thumb

:beerjug:

East to West in 2010

You'll need a Carnet for Iran I'm afraid. One Carnet will do for the countries you chose to visit, so a one off cost. A 650 single 'down valued' won't cost too much, certainly cheaper than shipping I guess ;)

I think the RAC valued my F800GS at £3,000 for Carnets to Iran and Pakistan :eek:

All the best with the trip :thumb

:beerjug:

Hello All,

Great to hear about plans, I've just done this route but East to West ( Home to Darwin, then shipped to Singapore then finished in Amsterdam ), started in March and finished in October.

Absolutely fabulous and please don't miss Pakistan, India, Bhutan and Bangladesh ( yes the drivers are careless / dangerous in India - but the Himalayas are just amazing !! 5300m elevation does take your breath away !)

You need a carnet just about everywhere but Iran and India in particular. I took the 4% waiver ( but a Bankers Guarantee is also good ) option and if you're sensible then you'll have a ball.

Please don't miss Bhutan - the eastern Himalayas were spot-on.

I'd had to hop-over Myanmar as there is no diplomatic crossing ( for foriegners ) into Thailand. This may change soon as trade crosses freely on the West Border with India regularly. The freight from Bankok to Dhaka wasn't very dear anyway ( about $1200AU inc my flights if I remember ). There are also regular freighters, so other much cheaper options are there too.

I kept a detailed journal so if you're interested please PM.

This year I'm hoping start July to loop Europe starting with the Artic Circle - just too tempting to miss.

Cheers and ride safe to all !

Frank.

Sounds good

Hello and welcome Frank, Ride Reports are compulsory here you know :thumb

Mick

Hi all, no probs about the report / journal post , I'll just have to learn how to post them...give it a week.:augie

Cheers n ride safe !
Frank :)

You'll need a Carnet for Iran I'm afraid.

While a carnet is 'recommended' many people have recently used the Bazargan route into Iran without a carnet. Problem with that border seems to be an insurance scam.

Back
Top Bottom