RT suprise

loftyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On the spure of the moment I had a test ride on an RT.... Jeez what a revelation!

As much as I love the GSA, it was quicker, more comfortable, had excellent luggage capacity, better weather protection not at all cumbersome and most of all..... I LOVED IT!

In fact I liked it so much that after three GSA's I'm am changing to an 2010 RT this week.

Just an observation, but I have seen people describe the RT as dull, I'm guessing they mean that either you can't pile as much crap on the thing or that you don't exude the Charlie Borman look!

As much as I love the GSA, it was quicker, more comfortable, had excellent luggage capacity, better weather protection not at all cumbersome and most of all..... I LOVED IT!

Just an observation, but I have seen people describe the RT as dull, I'm guessing they mean that either you can't pile as much crap on the thing or that you don't exude the Charlie Borman look!

Yep if your never intending to go off road and you want a bike to cover the miles in comfort on, then the RT is without doubt the better bike.

Dull? .... well it depends what you want from a bike. I never sat outside a cafe drinking a coffee admiring the looks of mine parked over the road. I didn't give it a glance everytime I walked past it outside the house and thought how good it looked, old blokes I didn't know never came up and chatted bikes when I was parked up somewhere.

They lack style and for me are dull ... still a fantastic bike though, like I said it depends what you want from a bike.

Bought one last week.....wasn't sure at first as it's most defo different....Now I think I love it.

Dull.....not at all, well no duller than a GSA...same engines and just as ugly, except one goes off road one doesn't and I am guessing 80% GS's don't...both mine didn't.

Much better with the RT, unless you go offroad ever.....!!:augie

Damn Chelsea Tractor GS's...........:hide

Just watch out for your licence on a RT..
Last time I rode one [1150 RT ] on the A30 coming from Exeter, thought I was doing around 70/75 mph :)
Looked at Speedo by Whiddon down and saw 130 on the clock.:eek:
Fastest and most comfortable armchair i've ever ridden..

On the spure of the moment I had a test ride on an RT.... Jeez what a revelation!

In fact I liked it so much that after three GSA's I'm am changing to an 2010 RT this week.

Ah welcome to the fold:rob

Pipe and slippers for you next Christmas :D

Last time I rode one [1150 RT ] on the A30 coming from Exeter, thought I was doing around 70/75 mph :)

Could'nt agree more, exactly the same thing happened on the test ride.

knew I was going reasonably quick, but suprised to see well over 100 on the speedo, just so smooth! that swung it for me!!:tarka

Yup.

I keep seeing posts about how RT's are dull, I really enjoyed my time on one, great bikes and good fun. I also happened to think mine was pretty striking. And old blokes would talk to me, as well.

Hopped off a ferry in Rostock and made it back to London, in the pub before closing time. 650miles+ and a channel tunnel trip. Awesome thing for the distance.

Have fun with it.. they're fab :thumb2

Yup.

I keep seeing posts about how RT's are dull, I really enjoyed my time on one, great bikes and good fun. I also happened to think mine was pretty striking. And old blokes would talk to me, as well.

Hopped off a ferry in Rostock and made it back to London, in the pub before closing time. 650miles+ and a channel tunnel trip. Awesome thing for the distance.

Have fun with it.. they're fab :thumb2

Thank mate I will!

BTW over the years I had Kwaka ZX9r, Yam R1, Gix 1000 and MV 1000R even going as far back as Matchless CSR 650 and a Norton 650SS and so I think I done my time on bikes that were all quick for their day and all were exciting bikes in their own unique way.
However I am now looking for something that is still reasonable nippy, but that still will allow me the luxury of taking in the views, without the arse up head down focused riding that you get from the modern sports bike.

I have the same problem on my 15 year old CBR1000F

I'd describe my 1200RT as dull!

It's comfy, it has good weather protection can ride in wind, rain and snow, 300miles to a tank, it can be reasonably quick and lift the front off the throttle if you really try but no sportbike, it handles well but again not a sportsbike....

The RT does everything well but doesn't excel anywhere, it's a complete overall package, that's both a pro and a con.

I keep debating if to get a GS, Multistrada, Stelvio etc, they have a little more go in them, not as refined but that makes them more interesting to ride. Trouble is the RT is so damn practical as an everyday bike you can't really fault it at anything and I haven't been able to bring myself to swap it yet. Best bike I've owned but still long for more.

I'd describe my 1200RT as dull!

It's comfy, it has good weather protection can ride in wind, rain and snow, 300miles to a tank, it can be reasonably quick and lift the front off the throttle if you really try but no sportbike, it handles well but again not a sportsbike....

Exactly. It's not a sportsbike. If you want sportsbike performance try getting a er sportsbike ? :blast

Exactly. It's not a sportsbike. If you want sportsbike performance try getting a er sportsbike ? :blast

Wasn't the point I was trying to make, if you read on to the text under what you quoted:

The RT does everything well but doesn't excel anywhere, it's a complete overall package, that's both a pro and a con.

I love my RT, it's now on 116k miles but it doesn't have the fun factor or other edge as other bikes of all types. I think it's faster than a GS but a GS seemed a little more aggressive to ride with the position and throttle response making it more fun as an example. Practical wise though the RT makes more sense for every day riding and can't fault it at anything, eck I think my RT has seen more off road action down dirt tracks than the 100's of pristine GS's i see about.

RT surprise continues

Picked up a 2010 R1200RT absolutely love it! :clap
During the journey to collect the new bike and drop my GSA off in P/X it pissed down with rain.
Even though the rain continued on the journey back it was a complete revelation. The weather protection on the RT is fabulous.
I Also bought the BMW comfort seat and can honestly say that not only does it look great but it's the most comfortable seat I've ever had on a bike!:Motomartin

Picked up a 2010 R1200RT absolutely love it! :clap
During the journey to collect the new bike and drop my GSA off in P/X it pissed down with rain.
Even though the rain continued on the journey back it was a complete revelation. The weather protection on the RT is fabulous.
I Also bought the BMW comfort seat and can honestly say that not only does it look great but it's the most comfortable seat I've ever had on a bike!:Motomartin

next you will be saying its dangerous because Its the only bike you have ever felt in danger of falling asleep while riding it :augie I love my old k100rt and yes it is the only bike I have felt in danger of nodding off on :augie fantastic no fuss fast mile muncher

I'm fairly tempted by the RT but wonder whether I'd be so keen to thread thro' the cars to the head of the queue?

Funnily enough, my GS was in for a service Yesterday and I was looking round the showroom and found myself strangely drawn to an almost new RT. I've never even considered one before but now I find myself placing it on my short list for when the GS comes up for replacement.

I'm fairly tempted by the RT but wonder whether I'd be so keen to thread thro' the cars to the head of the queue?
Panniers are detachable of course and you can get narrow lids, anyway, I’ve seen bigger boxes by far on some GS’s :nenau

Back
Top Bottom