Poland>Ukraine border & Insurance advise needed

jc_bromley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I'll be travelling from Poland (Auschwitz) to lviv, Ukraine in July.
Should I be fussy about which border crossing I use?
Also I can't get insurance from my Uk broker (Devitts/BMW), anyone know if I can get it at the border and if so how much it costs?

Ta for reading.

John

Not sure if it is still the case, but Ukraine entry used to require a carnet for temporary import of you bike. In terms of crossing, I dont think you need to be fussy on which xing you use. Any main road in should be fine

The insurance companies can be right bastards when you go outside the EU. Best ring around but be prepared to pay "through the nose". Try one of the "international" direct, such as AXA or try good ol' Carole Nash brokerage.

Never came across "border purchased insurance" over there.

Happy hunting :bounce1

Hi, I'll be travelling from Poland (Auschwitz) to lviv, Ukraine in July.
Should I be fussy about which border crossing I use?
Also I can't get insurance from my Uk broker (Devitts/BMW), anyone know if I can get it at the border and if so how much it costs?

Ta for reading.

John

Crossed from Poland to Ukraine 2 years ago. No carnet required, insurance bought at the border though can't remember how much it cost. Border crossing easy and officials helpful.

Crossed from Poland to Ukraine 2 years ago. No carnet required, insurance bought at the border though can't remember how much it cost. Border crossing easy and officials helpful.

+1 the year before. DO go to the little hut on the left first, they will give you a ticket which you present at the Border with your passport or they fine you (ten euros I think it was but I've slept since then). Polish people will be waiting 3 hrs and usher you to the front. Only got searched on re-entry to Poland and guard seemed very surprised and disappointed that we weren't carrying any drugs or guns (oh yes, they ask).

You will love Lviv.

Last edited:
If anybody needs some help in Poland - just write me.

Here you can see my video in Bieszczady, mountains in PL-UA border. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4rVvvbpKg8

Be carefull on Ua border..... dont give them any money!
They can tell you that is something wrong in your documents... they are used to take money, if everybody will give them some it will be a problem. We must teach them that travellers are not a bag with dollars.
Say that you have no money, "dyengi spizdili w polshy".

First UA police patrol you will meet 1 kilometer far from border crossing..... 1km!

They like to confiscate driving licence if you dont want to pay. If you pay - they will get used to catch every biker.
So my advice - dont stop!!! Go further, they will not go after you.
At night never stop. It is dark, you cant see who it is, you are affraid of rubbers.... never never never:bounce1

When i was going to Caucassus and crossing UA police wanted to stop me over 10 times. I stopped only one time, in Kiev because in town its difficult to run away on GS with bags but i didn't pay, they let me go because i told that i going to my uncle in Kiev, procurator:D

But dont affraid going east.
Dont affraid of people, don't believe in murders, kidnapping. People (i said people, not police) are friendly and nice. Further east you go - people become more nice.

If you are in PL - be my guest!

+1 the year before. DO go to the little hut on the left first, they will give you a ticket which you present at the Border with your passport or they fine you (ten euros I think it was but I've slept since then). Polish people will be waiting 3 hrs and usher you to the front. Only got searched on re-entry to Poland and guard seemed very surprised and disappointed that we weren't carrying any drugs or guns (oh yes, they ask).

You will love Lviv.

If polish WOP will ask you about guns and drugs, tell them - Yes, i have AK47 and one kilo of heroine. They will understand joke and pass you...:D
They look serious but mostly they are joking, they like to talk with travellers...

From east come lot of illegal cigarettes and alcohol, so WOP are searching for it.
But they will never look to your motorcycle bags...

Insurance for bike (green card) cost near 20-25$.

Oh yes they will...! Mine was just full of vodka. :jager

The more vodka they conficate the more they will drink:D

I didn't have this problem on PL-Ua border. I carried lot of vodka in bicycle bags many times:D Everything is possible, just learn how to do it:bounce1

Hi all, thanks for your responses. I've just returned from my trip and can report-
If you get a chance to go to Ukraine take it, I found the people to be as friendly as anywhere I've visited. You can find beer, food, accommodation & fuel for not a lot of money. Only got stopped by the police once (No right turn into a petrol station) we pre-empted him and told him he wasn't getting any money before he asked for it....and off he went without any!
No hassle at the borders, roads can be variable, smooth as silk to the worlds biggest collection of potholes!. If you have a satnav with the latest maps be careful as it may take you onto roads that may once have existed but are now only dirt. Obviously not a problem if you like that kind of thing!
My advice is to follow road signs, these will take you on the newest roads and the main towns are sign posted in both Cyrillic/Latin.
I can recommend Lviv, Kiev, odessa and if you have time the missile museum between Kiev & Odessa.

All in all a country I'll happily visit again!

John

Hi all, thanks for your responses. I've just returned from my trip and can report-
If you get a chance to go to Ukraine take it, I found the people to be as friendly as anywhere I've visited. You can find beer, food, accommodation & fuel for not a lot of money. Only got stopped by the police once (No right turn into a petrol station) we pre-empted him and told him he wasn't getting any money before he asked for it....and off he went without any!
No hassle at the borders, roads can be variable, smooth as silk to the worlds biggest collection of potholes!. If you have a satnav with the latest maps be careful as it may take you onto roads that may once have existed but are now only dirt. Obviously not a problem if you like that kind of thing!
My advice is to follow road signs, these will take you on the newest roads and the main towns are sign posted in both Cyrillic/Latin.
I can recommend Lviv, Kiev, odessa and if you have time the missile museum between Kiev & Odessa.

All in all a country I'll happily visit again!

John

+1 :beerjug:

Came back through the Ukraine from Russia on our Moscow to Moscow trip about three weeks back. Never had any issues with border officials, police or criminal gangs, etc. Lovely country. Can recommend Russia too.

Echo your point about GPS v signposts though. The two guys I was with (my husband and A.N.Other) both relied exclusively on Garmin and ignored obvious signposting, resulting in some pretty interesting detours around L'Viv's backstreets. Uneven cobbles and raised tram rails ... not recommended in the wet!

I would say to anyone planning a trip that it is worth learning how the Cyrillic letters are pronounced. Only the major routes are signposted in the Roman alphabet and a lot common words, particularly in Russian, are recognisable from other European languages, if you can work out how they sound.

Back
Top Bottom