Why is the Funduro not a GS?...

Craig S

Reaction score
I had a 04 plate F650GS for about two weeks before pikeys nicked it, then I bought a low mileage Funduro because the insurers refused to insure me on a Dakar due to the theft. I've had my Funduro for four years in december and my F800GS for two years last September.

I've just resprayed the Funduro in similar colour scheme to the 30th anniversary colours, not intentional but it looks rather good. I did this rather than sell it and buy an off-roader as the amount I would get would easily be swallowed by the cost of another bike.

Also other reasons for keeping it are: I only green lane and I can do everything on that bike that the other guys with more expensive bikes can do who I went with, plus it is 15 years old in December which means I can get classic insurance on it and get the 800 as a second bike fo rcheap!

Back to the Funduro, that bike took me to Spain 3 times loaded up for 3 weeks touring, Scotland, off-roading and the year I got the 800 I covered 22,000 miles on it!

So what I'm wondering is; what makes the GS different to the Funduro, other than the name? Just curious...

Funduro....The bike that's Fun and an Enduro!

The F650 Funduros and Stradas were cheap Italian crap with an Austrian engine and dubious build quality that allows the rider to ride around the world and back again without any of the mechanical or electrical issues of the more sophisticated GS's but don't tell anyone.........!:hide

Only kidding..........!:D

I've had two 96 Funduros and they were great fun to ride and are a bike that's a very underrated and forunner to the fuel injected F650GS's. Not as good fuel economy as the later F650GS but a surprisingly rugged bike that can carry a good payload aswell as handling the odd gravel road or two(my German friend rode one all the way around Iceland, Western Europe and Australia untill it fell into Elephant gorge and was written off in the process)

Check out www.f650.co.uk

FP.:thumb

The F650 Funduros and Stradas were cheap Italian crap with an Austrian engine and dubious build quality that allows the rider to ride around the world and back again without any of the mechanical or electrical issues of the more sophisticated GS's but don't tell anyone.........!:hide

Only kidding..........!:D

I've had two 96 Funduros and they were great fun to ride and are a bike that's a very underrated and forunner to the fuel injected F650GS's. Not as good fuel economy as the later F650GS but a surprisingly rugged bike that can carry a good payload aswell as handling the odd gravel road or two(my German friend rode one all the way around Iceland, Western Europe and Australia untill it fell into Elephant gorge and was written off in the process)

Check out www.f650.co.uk

FP.:thumb
Certainly cant moan at a single cylinder 650 that will do 120. Didnt stop me though heheheheh

Simple. The Funduro came along as part of the dual sport genre popular in the 1990s, way before the marketing men grabbed the GS concept and created the Long Way Round lifestyle which meant everything had to be GS or Adventure branded.

Had a 94 funduro for six years best bike i ever had it took me and my camping gear all round the country never missed a beat the only bug with it the carbs had to be balanced every 5000 miles and it used to be hard on starter solenoids.

Is that why it runs lumpy at low revs?? Never ridden anoither Funduro so thought it was normal...

It missed a spark !

Is that why it runs lumpy at low revs?? Never ridden anoither Funduro so thought it was normal...

It is normal.
I had an old Funduro, hated the name, loved the bike, changed it for a new 650 twin spark GS in 2004.
The Funduro was a single spark, with the flat spot. The GS was smoother, a wee bit, I didnt notice much coz I never rode it at low revs. :augie

FL, great bike.
12706951_E43Ny-M.jpg

I've never had one but always wanted one. I think, in my humble opinion that the Funduro embodies the spirit of the "go anywhere" motorcycle. Chatting with a guy in a scrap yard he told me he had dozens of these engines because the bikes are so cheap people dump them when fork seals or chains go wrong but the engines are so good they just go on forever so they never need replacing so he just has tons of them he can't sell. Brilliant!
That name though.... What we there thinking???

:nenau

.... plus it is 15 years old in December which means I can get classic insurance on it and get the 800 as a second bike fo rcheap!

I think you will probably find that you won't get the 800 insured cheaper as a 'second' bike :nenau

Your insurance will base their premium on the 'first' bike which will always be the more expensive/greater risk machine ... your Funduro will be the second bike in their pecking order :blast

All the best with it :thumb

:beerjug:

I haven't looked into it yet so I can only go by what I've been told by a work colleague who runs an old £650 TDM850 as his first bike and has a rather nice Fireblade as his second bike which has custom parts, pretty quick and worth a lot more.
I'll check and post the response.

Back
Top Bottom