1150 GSA sidestand question

Green Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

To start a ride I usually do the following:

1. Get bike out of garage and put it on side stand wihilst I close doors
2. Get on bike and start it.
3. Kick side stand up before engaging 1st hgear and riding off.

However, I've noticed that sometimes if I kick the side stand up, it will cut the engine as if I'd put it into gear, which I haven't. It always restarts.

Is this the early signs of a problem with the side stand switch or 'do they all do this, sir?':rolleyes:

Thanks.

I think it's going to fail soon. I would replace that part so that it won't fail and stop the engine during an overtake :D It's not that expensive...

Dan.

I think it's going to fail soon. I would replace that part so that it won't fail and stop the engine during an overtake :D It's not that expensive...

Dan.

Ok thanks for that. That scenario sounds a bit too emotional for my liking!

tricky one-
i had this on my 02 1150 and got steptoe to change side stand switch-problem same after new part fitted.
got Aidan to fit a new gear indicator switch[rear of gearbox]-problem same after new part fitted.
sold bike with the fault.
could of been the clutch switch [on handle bar]
i would choose the easy fix first IE side stand switch and hope it's that.
good luck ;)
ps
never failed to start but,in the end you had to pull the clutch in to start :blast
and Never did it fail when riding.

Wiring loom to idiot lights

I'm sure that the dreaded broken and/or corroded splitter crimps in the loom to the idiot lights causes the same symptoms - it upsets the electrical circuit logic going to the Motronic control box.

Cheers.........Grizzly :beerjug:

Ok so a bit of an update.....

The bike has stalled 3 times in the last 2 days. This morning it was warmed up and I change down (4-3-2), throttle closed and had the clutch in about to go to first when it stalled.

There was no warning of the stall ie. it didn't splutter etc, it was as if the ignition simply stopped. Is this likely to be as a result of a faulty side stand switch and is there any way to test it?

I've checked with Motorwroks and they have salvaged ones for £33 and a new one is £103 :)eek:). So if people think that I need to replace it, does anyone have any experience of Motorworks salvaged parts?

Thanks.

Or you could mount a ppiese of wire in the side stand connector and see if it reproduces. If it stil does, do the same for the clutch switch.

But do not ride for long periods of time with that wire in the side stand connector, one day you will leave it down and fall.

And I would get the connector as a new part. SH you already have one, it's on your bike.

When it's up to changing parts on these bikes - they are pretty reliable IMHO, why would you want to make it less reliable by installing SH parts?

Dan.

Or you could mount a ppiese of wire in the side stand connector and see if it reproduces. If it stil does, do the same for the clutch switch.

But do not ride for long periods of time with that wire in the side stand connector, one day you will leave it down and fall.

And I would get the connector as a new part. SH you already have one, it's on your bike.

When it's up to changing parts on these bikes - they are pretty reliable IMHO, why would you want to make it less reliable by installing SH parts?

Dan.

Recession?

Got rid of the SS switch on my bike a fair few years back. problem solved before it could become a problem.

I normally get looks of horror when I tell people this.. but kicking up the stand is automatic for me. I do it without thinking.

I know of a fella who rewired it.. so instead of cutting the engine.. it lights up an 'idiot' light.. LED. to remind him. He's a little more paranoid than I am though.

Back
Top Bottom