S10

Big Den

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Test ride yesterday, ordered and pickup Friday, in the faster white :thumb2. Only thing I noticed on the testride was how mechanical the engine sounds, probly that 270 deg crank :nenau sounded a bit like a 1150 :augie

:nenau

So whats an S10 then Big Den, I thought it was a big yanky pickup truck?

:nenau

So whats an S10 then Big Den, I thought it was a big yanky pickup truck?

It is mate, thems was the days when you could afford to fill up a yank tank :D

Sorry John spent too much time on AdvRider researching the S10 as they and the Aussies call them, the Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere to be exact.

Long time since i have been excited about picking up a new bike i can tell you :JB

Think i am right in saying neither the mad bugger Sanders or any yanks / East Europeans or Aussie nutters have killed one or found any real weaknesses or failures come to that (who gives a shite about a few rusty/loose spokes its under warranty)
An Aussie managed to ram his into a tree at a fair lick while offroading, done the plastics and pushed the engine bars into the crankcase and water pump recently which ended play $6k Aus to fix :eek: that might be £1.25 as far as i know as i have no idea on exchange rates but suspect its a good few £.

Roll on Friday

Well, will be interested in how you get on with it Big Den, now the price seems to have come down, its looking a good prospect. Mind you, swapped my S1000RR for a Triple Black last Saturday, so will not be changing for a few weeks at least:D

I'll report back here :thumb2, be interested in your views on the s1000, they were on my radar but bought a 1198 instead.

If it was money no object, I would have kept the S1000RR, blinding speed and handling (so much better than me!) and I`d bought loads of extras for it (typically) including the Ac Schnizer handlebar kit, which I never got round to fitting:blast Its all on ebay now.......:rolleyes:

Well picked up today after an eternity waiting for the V5 for p/x to turn up. Nice gale force winds on the motorway, 6 ml tailback and rain but the vfr12 was rock steady and i will miss the mega surge they have :( . Still another in the shed which should fill that whole to some extent.
S10 feels alien after the vfr but comfy and agile down the back lanes home, hope its going to be a keeper :thumb2.
Can't fault the dealer Skellerns of Worc and Cheltenham, matched the best deal i was offered nationally and very nice to deal with.
Did a mega wedge on toys at the show so waiting for them to arrive and hoping to get the 600 mls in before the snow if it is still coming :augie

According to Ebike's 1st and 2nd letters around 56 in 4 or so years, the letter can be condensed down to WTF basically, took me 2 1/2 pages to answer their query in full :type

Please let us know, after you have clocked some miles, how you get on with it.
How was it in the high winds we've had today?
Thanks.

Just a small amount of tugging on the front wheel when passing gaps in the hedgerow is all.
Fitted R&G crashbars yesterday, not sure about them yet but easy enough to fit.
Will try some extreme commuting into work tomorrow :D

There are loads on E Bay and good value now. Interested to see how you find it especially the finish/winterproofness of it as they look great bikes:thumb2

Thanks for the reply.
Am quite interested in one of these, as I fancy a change after having had 15 Bee-ems.
I had a look at the S10 at the NEC show last week and was impressed with the look of the thing.
I might have got it wrong, but I'm seem to remember that it had a cast aluminium side stand. Is that one of the subtle mods Yamaha have made for the 2012 bikes I wonder?
I asked about how the bike reacted to strong wind, because one of the aspects of the 1200GS I liked, was how stable is was in those sort of conditions.
I think I need to organise a test ride at some stage to see what it's like.
ATB,
John.

Heres an extract from a pm reply i sent another tosser earlier in the week : -

I called 6 Yam dealers all over the country, came down to 3 Skellys/Wigan Yam and Alsford Bros in Folkstone. All gave the same deal but i wanted a white one and only skellys had one, infact the other two would only do the deal on a black one which was my 2nd choice, they wanted more money for white !!
Skellerns matched a deal but for a white one and chucked in a few toys, not too much as i did not push.
They have a white ex-demo for £10k, i rode it and its as new. Researched a big traily for 3 weeks and the Yam is the most reliable by a long way, Mick Sanders (watched the dvd) did 51k non stop with no issues, on Adv rider the yanks/Aussies and east europe guys have been hammering them for a year with no reported issues. Had a long chat with Nick Plumb on the Touratwat stand and he has been riding one for a while now and said no issues and he has given it loads of grief.
Good enough for me hope it will be a long term keeper. Oh the cheapest S10 in the country, Motorcycle Mart Kiddy (Yam dealer too) £8k in blue, if i had the cash i would have had that one.
Nows the time when they are quiet :thumb

1st impressions on plonking my chuff on the demo bike ?
Performance is a relative thing ? and i was not expecting fast but you may find it a bit underwelming, nowhere near as quick and agile as the 800GS but more substantial feeling, nice riding position, yes bit of noise etc from the screen at speed (can be sorted easy)
Tried the modes and they are very different, i think with a K&N and a decent can forward motion could improve :D
I am not looking for speed as i have another bike for that and the way things are not a good idea to get caught, mate is off to court soon for 66 in a 40 on a dual carrageway and could get a ban :eek:
If i was critical on anything on my excellent GS800 it was top cruising speed, i know they are good for well over the ton but even at 85 i was never too happy, always thought i was at the topend of the engines comfort zone so with the S10 there is more in reserve, currently getting 75mph + @ 3800 (running in rpm)
Fueling is a big issue for me, i have sold at least 6 bikes purely because the fueling has been shite and in some cases lethal in the wet :eek: The big yam is very good, tomorrows commute will confirm it though.
No one else seems to have mentioned it but i found the engine very mechanical in use ie thought it a bit noisy and thumpy, i have subsiquently found that this is the "built in" character Yam designed in with the 270 degree crank as TDM900, i suppose if it was an ultra smooth vibe free para twin everyone would be saying characterless / boring etc ?
More to follow :thumb.

Looking forward to the follow up:thumb2.
Have a look at the Altrider.com site,they make some very nice kit.

Looking forward to the follow up:thumb2.
Have a look at the Altrider.com site,they make some very nice kit.

Will do, been looking, saw a shaft drive protector somewhere could have sworn it was r&g and argued the fact at the show :blast but not them :D

Back
Top Bottom