Ferry - Italy > Greece

Stonker

Reaction score
Is it better to book? I reckon 5 days fro Calais to Brindisi. They publish their prices but are the tickets flexible? Or is it better to just turn up?

You can do Calais to Brindisi in 3 days easily, if you want to, maybe even 2 at a push. If you're travelling in the summer months I reckon it would be better to book in advance, as it gets very busy.

If booking to sleep on deck bear in mind you'll be last up after foot passengers and other vehicles, so spots to sleep will be hard to find.

3 days

You can do Calais to Brindisi in 3 days easily, if you want to, maybe even 2 at a push. If you're travelling in the summer months I reckon it would be better to book in advance, as it gets very busy.

If booking to sleep on deck bear in mind you'll be last up after foot passengers and other vehicles, so spots to sleep will be hard to find.

totally agree, three easy days.
went from ancona last year, could have done it in two day's but the time
of the sailing made it mor sense to do it in three.
it also meant we could take in som great roads instead of all autoroute.

Deffo take a ferry from Ancona or Venice. The A14 south to Brindisi is suicidal with mad Italian motorists with something to prove at 140kph 15cms off your rear end and their hand on the horn :blast ....... don't do it

We were looking to enjoy the ride down though and after the 1st day blat, to keep off the motorways

If we book to sleep on the deck, can't we just take a lilo? Is it better to book an aircraft seat?

We were looking to enjoy the ride down though and after the 1st day blat, to keep off the motorways

If we book to sleep on the deck, can't we just take a lilo? Is it better to book an aircraft seat?

Usually it is possible, taking a lilo.
Better use the line from Venice or Ancona to Greece.
Its wasting time and money ferry from Brindisi or Bari and often the departure time isnt comfy.
:rob

why is it wasting time and money? I was looking for an overnight ferry. There is a ferry to Albania too

A lilo for the deck is a good idea, but as I said, finding a spot might be hard.

Other vehicles usually have passengers that rush to the deck to find the best spots, when I used the ferry from Greece to Italy I ended up having to book a shared cabin as there was no where to sleep. A flight seat might be a good option.

Crikey, are they really that crowded? I took a ferry to Sardinia a couple of years ago and there was loads of room. Lots of aircraft seats too but I found the bench seats more comfortable

We are looking at going in September by the way

September should be better. It's July and August that get very busy. A lot of Turks, living in Europe, head home using the Italy/Greece ferry, and they're the ones that know to get to the deck quickly. I actually saw some of them using barrier tape to mark out their "plot". This route is popular with them.

You'll still have backpackers, they usually rush for the bench seats though, so if using a lilo you should be fine.

We'll probably have camping gear anyway....not that camping in Bulgaria and Romania would necessarily be such a good idea.....

Are the tickets flexible or do you have to take the ferry you book?

Are any of the ferry companies better than the others or all 'much of a muchness'?

I've only used Superfast Ferries, Ancona - Igoumenitsa. I don't remember the ticket being flexible, you might have to check each company's website.....the other one is called Anek.

Superfast were good, mainly because the deck bar was open until 2am. Food and booze prices were ok and the boat didn't sink as the Captain wasn't Italian.

OK thanks. I'll do a bit more research. I was looking at riding all the way to Brindisi but may consider Ancona

Get ferry from Ancona. We do it every year. ANEK or Minoan lines both good. Prices about same (ANEK cheaper for old tossers over 60) Outside of August or Sept I just turn up at port. Be there by 11am. Going tomorrow myself on ANEK. Up till now dates are not critical if you book in advance (provided there is room but not problem with bike.

Riding down east coast off autostrada looks good on map but takes forever as you go from one small town to another with slow traffic or jams. Try it, but bet you will give up and go to autostrada.

If you are going to Greece the ferries go to Patra so going to Bari or Brindisi ,unless you want to do the extra mileage, achieves nothing.

Going from Venice is a nice alternative but you are on boat for extra day.

If you get to Crete you are welcome to visit.

Same stage as you (Stonker) with Garmin. Will put a post on your thread if I have time about my experience with it mostly good

Last edited:
Cheers Jeff,

I'll chack the Ancona ferries out then. Maybe we will save a day.

We won't make Crete this year but I have been there before (on a plane) and would love to do it on a bike. Where do you get the ferry from?

From Piraeus (the port of Athens) Easy two to three hour ride from Patra. Ferries go to Chania or Iraklion. They leave quite late in evening so there is plenty of time to get from Patra

about ticket flexibility.
Once, a couple of years ago, arrived at Anconas port one day earlier.
They change my ticket without any extras.
Why dont you mail them about that?

Back
Top Bottom