Do I need to take my V5 reg doc?

smaytum

Reaction score
Leaving on Thursday for Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Turkey etc.

Do I need to take my V5 Registration Document?

That is, it's in the post, so I don't have it yet :blast

Will this be a problem?

You will be asked for it at some borders...

I only ever showed a color photocopy, and no one noticed, but I guess this doesn't help you...

Contact local DVLA office and they can do you a temp V5 thats valid for 6 months. Costs about a fiver I seem to remember.

You will certainly be denied entry to Turkey without the V5. Do you have a photocopy (not colour)? A friend who was stuck at the Turkish border was allowed in with a fax copy.

As said yes, I was asked for it most places including the countries which are part of the EU, like Bulgaria, Greece, Slovenia, etc., also a few of them asked for my green card.

Turkey is obscene, 4 checks...

And I got home 2 weeks ago.

Casper

At every border in Eastern Europe when you hand in your passport you are asked for bike's passport.
I tried at first offering a colur photocopy to protect my original but they demanded the original.
I was seldom asked for Greencard

Lucky. I found the old V5 form. That is, DVLA reissued V5 forms in the last 12 months and the old one was still in the back of the cupboard. I guess that will do it.

Story hear, if you're wondering, is that I sold my f800gs to my mate as I had two. He doing the trip as well. We updated the details and posted it 3 days ago :blast

scan all your docs and upload to a site you can access from anywhere anyway (in case of loss/damage).

Have someone at home do the same with your new V5 when DVLA send it back, so you can access it wherever you are. It won't help if you need the original and red one, but sounds like you'll be OK with the earlier blue one anyways - it can sometimes pay to be a hoarder - hurrah ! :clap :thumb

Turkey will be hit and miss, depending on who is at the booth on any given day. Take it with you if possible, or take a copy if not but be ready for a problem. You can always go back and wait for the next shift to start to see if the next person on duty will let you through.

Thanks all.

The old V5 worked just fine in the end.

The only county that wanted to see the V5 docs was Montengro.

The others (croatia, albania, kosovo, bosnia etc) only wanted to see the V5 when i purchased insurance at the boarder. That is, had i had Carol Nash world wide insurance (as my mate did) i would not have needed to show the V5. But like you say... should always take it along.

Back
Top Bottom