“What new owners have experienced instability problems

Wasserboxer Bonkers

Reaction score
I love my new GS and have now covered enough miles on all road surfaces to conclude it is very stable and tracks true.

However there is a lot of conjecture about tank slappers and instability so I thought it would be good to get FACTS from, and the experience of, owners.

So lets establish some facts and try to slay the myths that seem to perpetuate plus the silence from BMW.

I like the idea of facts. I have only completed 300 miles but at reasonable speed and find the bike very stable but the front end can become light under hard acceleration.

So I cannot conclude definitively until more harder miles have been ticked off.

When I took one off the centre stand, it wobbled a bit :)

Does that count?

Test ride on 27/3 so I'll report back

Bank Account is beginning to feel unstable & not even picked it up yet :drool

Must admit that the front end wheelies at will, great fun.

Anybody tried a pillion and luggage? Does that change the bikes stability? It will do , especially a heavy top box or does the dynamic esa compensate?

Must admit that the front end wheelies at will, great fun.

Anybody tried a pillion and luggage? Does that change the bikes stability? It will do , especially a heavy top box or does the dynamic esa compensate?

Not on its own. Must put two helmets and luggage in preload settings. But top box must never be heavy anyway, since it's way back and high. Isn't there a max payload of 5 kgs for the top box?

Test drive/Stability

I did a test ride last week, and surprised myself by being a little non-plussed after having read all the superlatives.
It is much faster and felt stable enough, and at 80 on the motorway, it felt like 40 (although with less wind protection than a GSA), and yes it will definitely wheelie without much effort, which is a new experience on a GS. But I have to say, my GSA still felt great when I got back on it, and I decided that I would stick with it and not spend a lot of money on a bit more bhp and some electronics. (I'm quite capable of adjusting my riding style in the wet, without having to select 'rain mode'..:rolleyes:)

I can confirm the issue of wobble is now very clear...

its in those that doubt their decision and wobble ...yes..no...oooh I dont know...

:rob

But Ive ordered mine as I dont know how to adjust the throttle in the RAIN and my wife said i should be more DYNAMIC....but really im sort of middle of the ROAD on the Traction thingy..

Well , my neighbour thinks i'm unstable and insane buying a motorcycle costing nearly £14 Grand at my age :rob

But who cares, you can't take it with you,

And no I haven't had any problems on rough roads, very sure footed, and a lot of the roads in my area are real crap,:)

I am intrigued by all the people who claim the bike wheelies really easily, are you guys cruising down the dual carriageway on the back wheel? Im sure I have read it a few times on here about the 1200wc, If the average rider is wheeling the thing, then I expect to hear of one or two tank slapping episodes.

I am intrigued by all the people who claim the bike wheelies really easily, are you guys cruising down the dual carriageway on the back wheel? Im sure I have read it a few times on here about the 1200wc, If the average rider is wheeling the thing, then I expect to hear of one or two tank slapping episodes.
I get the front to go light on my GSA... but then I'm not your average rider :D

Back
Top Bottom