Feck*ng mapsource keeps crashing!

russ996duke

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes, what a piece of cr*p this is....deeply un-user friendly, clunky to use, and when I do use it, the fecking thing crashes every time....so frequent datasaves becomes a necessity, especially painful when deep into route creation, it fecking crashes and i realise how long back it was when i last saved route:blast

still it gives me the option of sending an error report to garmin, so they can enjoy knowing just how well they have pissed one of their sufferers off , again!
I wonder how many crash reports they get...maybe thats why their website is slow:augie
ah well, back to work....

You wont get any joy from garmin, mapsource is no longer supported. Basecamp is the replacement, cant say i've ever had a problem with mapsource. I'd sugest your crashing issues stem from something else.

You wont get any joy from garmin, mapsource is no longer supported. Basecamp is the replacement, cant say i've ever had a problem with mapsource. I'd sugest your crashing issues stem from something else.

what he said.

Check to see if your on the last version which I think was 6.16.3, if not try to do an in app update it might still work.
Ps no issues running 6.16.3 mapsource here on win7

I run Mapsource on 4 machines here and have used it now for 10 years. I don't think it has ever crashed in all that time. Sounds like you need a computer geek!

John

I always thought Mapsource was a far superior product to the absolutely shite Basecamp!

oh chr*st, so the replacement for mapsource is even crapper!:blast

reckon i'll try running ms on another machine and see if it still fecks up so frequently...

:rolleyes:

oh chr*st, so the replacement for mapsource is even crapper!:blast

reckon i'll try running ms on another machine and see if it still fecks up so frequently...

:rolleyes:

Others may come along and disagree but IMHO Mapsource was much better. Especially the 'search' function.

Basecamp has to be the most unintuitive computer programme I have ever had the displeasure of using.

....couldn't agree more...basecamp is pooh.

Is it possible to still download m/s and if so, where do i get it from.?

TD

...Got it wrong. :blast

m/s wouldn't open on my mac....any ideas as what i can use instead of Basecamp..

TD

Has anyone got any views on Roadtrip?

This seems to be older brother of Basecamp.

Roadtrip is dire. It's like a really slow version of basecamp

Basecamp is fine except for the search function.

...Got it wrong. :blast

m/s wouldn't open on my mac....any ideas as what i can use instead of Basecamp..

TD

I don't think Mapsource works using the Mac OS.

I was going to partition part of my hard drive on my laptop, run Windows on it and use Mapsource from there............but didn't. :D

I'd agree that both mapsourse and base camp are not intuitive to use and yes the search function is not up to much. But it doesn't take long to get to grips with it. Use a decent paper map (Michelin) to plan where you want to go, manually input your waypoints then drag (shape) your route, zoom in along it to make sure it's not sending you down back alleys to save 200m and download to your sat nav. Easy peasy and I've never had either crash in 8 years.

If all you want is A to B planning Tom Tom is far superior and easier to use.

I'd agree that both mapsourse and base camp are not intuitive to use and yes the search function is not up to much. But it doesn't take long to get to grips with it. Use a decent paper map (Michelin) to plan where you want to go, manually input your waypoints then drag (shape) your route, zoom in along it to make sure it's not sending you down back alleys to save 200m and download to your sat nav. Easy peasy and I've never had either crash in 8 years.

If all you want is A to B planning Tom Tom is far superior and easier to use.

I beg to differ, much prefer Garmin and Mapsource to Tomtom and Tyre
Used a friends Tomtom rider in the car and was amazed and disappointed to find it calculating the route to the destination we had put in without showing first just where it was going to take us! My Garmin always shows a detail map first so I can check it is the right place We live in the village of Malta in Austria, there are 10 villages in Europe called Malta so it makes sense to check you have the right one first. No wonder people swear at the things

John

John, TT can be set to show the complete calculated route on start up, then defaults to the usual instructions after 10secs.
Again, just what your're used to..........

John, TT can be set to show the complete calculated route on start up, then defaults to the usual instructions after 10secs.
Again, just what your're used to..........

Yes I know it can show the route once it has calculated, my point was that it does so before you can check you have the right destination. I prefer to be asked before it calculates. In the case of the 10 villages called Malta the Tomtom might calculate several times before you get the right one. If it does have this function then please let me know, we get lots of Tomtom users through every summer and I can pass on the info.

I guess you get used to it but I struggle with Tyre because of it's use of Google maps. Both here and where we lived in the UK the Google maps are just wrong- they show roads that don't exist or roads in the wrong place. Kind of knocks your confidence in the accuracy elsewhere.

I did manage, by Emailing daily, to get Google to update the placing of a local town, they had it at 2,900 metres on top of a mountain! But they have so far ignored my messages about a non existent road (it would pass through out terrace) and the fact that they have the Village marked half way up a hill at the end of what is a farm track.

Whatever GPS you use still requires a certain amount of common sense to operate. And reading the manual once in a while!

John

Back
Top Bottom