Transferring routes to a Nuvi

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As well as a BMW Nav IV (with associated Basecamp software) for my bike, I also have a Nuvi 3490 for the car.

The screen is better on the Nuvi, as is the user interface, so I would prefer to carry on using the Nuvi in the car. So, does anyone know if it is possibly to transfer a route from Basecamp to the Nuvi?

(I have RTFM and it does not mention anything about importing routes, only about creating them on the Nuvi)

Thanks Wapping.

For the (possible) benefit of others, this advice was given in one of the Garmin Forums (the link for which was in the Google search link that Wapping posted:

"I also have the 3490LMT. I found out that MapSource was not compatible to the 3490 but BaseCamp is. So I downloaded BaseCamp on my computer. I have a lot of routes created from MapSource saved on my computer. These routes were saved in my directory GPS maps. After connecting the 3490 to the computer I opened BaseCamp clicked on New folder then on File then on Import into new folder. After going to the GPS maps directory and Selecting the route I wanted in the new folder I clicked on that file. I then went to the new folder and selected the file I just imported clicked on it and it showed on the map.

To put the route in the 3490 I clicked on the first green blue icon top left Garmin BaseCamp, then in the pop up menu click on devices nuvi 3490 (not the memory card). Then click on OK. A green bar on left will show it loading into your gps.

To find it in your gps go to Apps then trip planner find it in your list and click on it. From there you can edit it , look at it in the map or start the route.

Hope this helps."

I have not tried it yet, but will post again when I have had a chance.

I would point out the the above advice was given in the Garmin Forum in Jan 2013. In some of the other links, people state quite categorically that it cannot be done, but those posts were in 2012/13. Perhaps the firmware has been updated since

So, did it work? Yes and no!!

Yes, I could tansfer the route from my Basecamp to the device. And, when I select the device within Basecamp, I can see the route.

But, can I find the bloody route on my device (3490LMT) when I disconnect it from Basecamp? NO!!! But basecamp can see it on the device, so it must be in there somewhere!! Just I cannot find it, no matter where I have searched for it on my device

See Below this is a reply i got from Garmin when asking which of their units accept routes from a PC. This is just over a year old, so may be worth asking again.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Dear Andrew Harrison,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I am happy to help please find below the devices that have the feature to take routes created from MapSource or basecamp and then sent over to the device. If the device has LMT , LM , LT or T on the end of the model numbers below will also be compatible. I am afraid that the device listed below are the only ones that are compatible with routes being sent over.

Zumo 660
Zumo 550
Nuvi 3790
Nuvi 3760
Nuvi 3710
Nuvi 2460
Nuvi 2440
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 1490tv
Nuvi 1490
Nuvi 1440
Nuvi 1410

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Kind regards,

Danielle Harding

Garmin Europe

Andrewh

Thanks for that. As I have a 3490LMT, it would appear that I cannot do it. Although that is the opposite of what they write on the Garmin Forums.

And it is there, on the 3490LMT, because Basecamp can see it. It just does not show on any of the menus on the 3490LMT!!! Bugger

Does the list only show current models in their line-up as I know of other Nuvis that will route like a Zumo. Not sure how current yours is :nenau

However, if the menus are not there to deal with importing routes then it looks like you're out of luck.

When I was using my Nuvi 765T on the bike I was told by Garmin that most future Nuvis would not support full on routing in the context that, as bikers, we want.

Back
Top Bottom