Been offered a decent K1200s

RJT_Berlin

Reaction score
2006 model, tasty looking, but 51tkm on the clock

Should that put me off???

Price appears reasonable and has a few extras - cases, exhaust, dirt bike bars

Thoughts? Things to be worried about??

I owned a K1200S for three years, as did/do a number of friends from the VFR Owners Club (we all got fed up with waiting for the VFR1200 to arrive), so it may be worth checking what work has been completed under warranty as they all needed quite a bit doing e.g.:

Airbox - these warped due to the engine heat
ABS pump - prone to failure and very expensive to fix
Camchain tensioner
Camchain jump guard
Clutch basket
Duolever balljoints - premature wear causing strange low speed handling
Oil tank filler cap
Rear suspension tie bars
Gear position indicator sensor - not a big issue, but I nearly dropped mine when I tried starting it in gear as the indicator showed neutral

Mine had all of the above replaced, plus the front discs at 12,000 miles. All of it was covered by BMW thankfully, except for the labour on the new clutch.

The wheels are also weak - of three K's which went on a trip to the Pyrenees in 2007, mine had a ding in the front rim, another had dings in both rims and the other one had to have the front wheel straightened by Hagon's just before the trip.

My mates has now totally wrecked its engine at around 40k miles :eek: I sold mine once the extended warranty expired as I didn't trust it, despite it being in immaculate condition and feeling as good as new at 24k miles :(

I should add that the parts only needed upgrading once. Chances are that any problems would be ironed out on a 7 year old bike

Hell of a lot for warranty and not what i class as reliable....... Think i will reconsider my options and choices.....

Back
Top Bottom