add to active route -

dxtans

Reaction score
At the week-end, I was approaching a small town, I needed some petrol, so on my active route, selected the nearest 24hr petrol station, it was 3 miles away. Nav V asked if I wanted the ( detour) added onto my current active route, so yes please. Off I went got my petrol. Then looking at the route it had added another 30 miles onto my planned route ! To my destination. Looked at the screen it decided to take me a bit North. So ride back into town and it automatically picked up my original route with the mileage to the destination I was expecting. Dunno why that was, maybe it did not want to bring me directly back onto my active route from the petrol station. Perhaps it thought I needed different scenery.

dxtans

If the remainder of your original route was actually longer time-wise, in the tiny mind of your GPS, from the petrol station and you only had shaping nodes defining the remaining part of the route the detour would have recalculated your route. Not sure if there is a part of the algorithm where it decides to drop shaping nodes but you seem to have reached it.

Dave, I saw this happen on a Wander to Luxembourg.

I wanted to find cafe I vaguely remembered was within a couple of miles of where I was on a route.

On the move, I found it in my Favourites, checked by the little info map that indeed the route went very close to it, so asked the device to add it as a via point. I would have expected maybe a mile or most added to the route. To my surprise it all but doubled the route length. As I was riding along I didn't have a chance to stop and see what the very clever (but sometimes incredibly thick) device had done. I suspect that instead of adding the cafe at a sensible point, it had added it at the end, requiring me to complete the route and then start again.

Anyway, being cleverer than a device that knows every street in Naples, Oslo and Berlin and every back road in Ireland or Portugal, I ignore its suggestions and simply rode to the cafe.

I suspect Bumpkin is right in his summation. If you add a fresh viapoint or waypoint to a current route, a recalculation of some sort must take place, obviously. Somewhere inside the recalculation the device is misreading shaping nodes. It didn't happen with the 660 / Mapsource where shaping nodes are not treated as waypoints. That would add small detours quite happily.

The other thing to check when adding via points on the fly is that the cafe or petrol station is not behind you or much further away than it might appear. It may be close geographically but the device sees points as the crow flies, which unless you enjoy off-roading, swimming or mountain climbing is not the way we often drive. Several bods have fallen foul of ' The petrol station is 2 miles SW' - Yes it is, across a lake..... Or it's behind you (but still on your route) requiring riding 10 miles up a motorway, turning around, riding 20 miles back and then 18 miles forward again, just to go two miles.

Could Garmin engineer out these glitches? Yes, probably. But that would require more and more data and processing power, trying to anticipate every possible option the operator of the device needed at any one minute.... Along with every map of every road in Finland and Greece available at the drop of a hat, even if the operator never really goes beyond Scunthorpe.

A'h, that could well be the reason.
In future if I am in an area I am not familiar, and I need a quick detour to a petrol station or something. I'll simply punch in 'where am i', save it as a waypoint. Then goto my petrol station as part of the active route, if it decides to add on miles to my original route, then I'll just punch the waypoint to get back to my original location before I took the detour, then simply restart the route I was originally using. Quick fix, not a solution though to the main issue.

dxtans

It didn't happen with the 660 / Mapsource where shaping nodes are not treated as waypoints. That would add small detours quite happily.

Although, depending on road layout, might bring you back to your intended route further along than you left it.

I have frequently used the 'find near route' feature on my 660. My riding buddy rides a 996 Ducati with a somewhat pathetic fuel range :rolleyes:

A'h, that could well be the reason.
In future if I am in an area I am not familiar, and I need a quick detour to a petrol station or something. I'll simply punch in 'where am i', save it as a waypoint. Then goto my petrol station as part of the active route, if it decides to add on miles to my original route, then I'll just punch the waypoint to get back to my original location before I took the detour, then simply restart the route I was originally using. Quick fix, not a solution though to the main issue.

dxtans

Maybe a silly question, but instead of typing the "Where am I", would it not work to simply go to the Where To menu, click on coordinates, and the next screen it seems automatically displays your current position that can be saved? Just asking if this works indeed as I think it does?

Although, depending on road layout, might bring you back to your intended route further along than you left it.

That's true.

As to the Ducati rider? Tell him to find his own fuel.... I do when I ride a 17 litre tank bike on tours. :D :beerjug:

Turning off auto recalculate is important. And making sure your route settings are the same on basecamp/mapsource as on your gps. (avoidance, speeds etc).

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

This thread is about adding a via / waypoint to a running route. You have to make a recalculation or it won't work.

The only way to avoid it would be to stop the route. Then ask the device to 'Take me to XYZ from here'.

Other than that, indeed turn of auto recalculate, an invention of the devil. Matching up preferences between the computer and the device is good advice, too.

Bods who turn off 'Avoid U-turns' often fall foul of the device's natural desire to carry them miles to a roundabout, in order to reverse their direction.... They then rant at the heavens that the device is crap... When all it did was do EXACTLY as the owner had requested. Indeed, any 'avoid' is often the scene of much mirth and many extra miles.

Bods who turn off 'Avoid U-turns' often fall foul of the device's natural desire to carry them miles to a roundabout, in order to reverse their direction.... They then rant at the heavens that the device is crap... When all it did was do EXACTLY as the owner had requested. Indeed, any 'avoid' is often the scene of much mirth and many extra miles.

Can also have you wondering why it wont follow the route over yonder mountain with all those lovely hairpin bends :rolleyes:

Maybe they've fixed that 'feature' :nenau

Apologies Wapping, tired and confused is my excuse! (but don't all threads on this site get hijacked and go off track?!!)

BUT - you do make a good point about stopping the route.

I learned on the 550 yrs ago that it was the best option. Stop the route, navigate to your new waypoint, then when you are ready to go - start your route again and navigate to the next waypoint on it to "reactivate" it!

:beerjug:

Indeed threads do go off an a tangent, very often more interesting than the direction the opening post hoped it would go.

As regards the OP's problem, of an added waypoint (a fuel station) being added to a route with the result being a route that was extended by miles. Depending on how the waypoint is added and quite how the Nav V reads shaping points, it might be possible to ask the device to reorganise the points in an optimal order. What that should do is recalculate the amended route afresh, pulling the shaping nodes, any deliberate waypoints AND the freshly added fuel station waypoint into a better order. If I am right, then the problem should go away.

I can't remember if the 'optimum reorder' option is available on the Nav V. It certainly was on earlier devices.

It is tricky to replicate the OP's question and problem without riding a route and playing about. The good thing is that no matter what, a version of the original unammended route will always be there. So, you can always go back to it. Not least, it's impossible to break the device, so playing about is never really a problem.

So had a conversation with garmin suppt. This is what they had to say on the extra miles added.
Your Nav V has corrupted way/via points, do a hardware reset... Yeah what ever, do not believe that for a mo.
The detour picked up extra way/via points when recalculating the route from another route currently held in the device.....Hmm seems more believable.

However I will stick with my original fix. As Richard noted above, I will always have my original route to fall back on
dxtans

I've ended up with the queerest of routes twice this week, very much along the same lines as described in the original post. However, in my case I set a destination and then to vary the route to take me a certain way I added two Via points to ensure it did this. It seems that if you add more than one Via point you need to do them in reverse order:blast I.e. The furthest Via point first and the nearest last. If not, it really gets it's knickers in a twist! I never remember having this issue with my 660?:mad:

There are so many variables in how bods have their devices set up, whether they have re-calculate on, off or prompted? Whether they have 'must do' waypoints or simple via / shaping points, whether they have excluded car share lanes, u-turns and for all I know motorways or toll roads. It might even depend on how they selected the additional viapoint / way points.

It is difficult to guess what might be happening if they do not post the route up, so we can try to replicate it.

I do though agree that the Nav V does seem to be doing it differently than say the 660.

Back
Top Bottom