Remove ABS from the rear brake (2005 R1200GS). How?

Hemuli

Reaction score
First of all, sorry for asking this because I am sure it has been discussed here many times (just could not find it during my quick search).
I am now 2 years in my RTW (I think it will take around 4 years). Currently in Oregon, USA.
I have had on-off problems with my ABS since Indonesia, sometimes ABS fails to work, sometimes it works (just normal stuff).
Now servo has totally failed from rear brake (front servo and ABS works) and braking power is really weak.

I am thinking that I will bypass ABS unit (rear line) and convert rear brakes to "standard" one (without ABS) by just one simple brake line.
My question is: Should I make a loop brake line for the ABS-unit (combine incoming and outgoing lines on ABS-unit) or should I just plug both lines on ABS-unit?
I do not care if brake light flashes in my dash, I have already fixed it with black tape :D

I do not want to spend $2500 for new ABS-unit which will fail again (I have already second unit in my bike).
At the moment Modulemaster cannot fix unit, because they do not have parts available (when they have parts, cost will be around $700).
I will be heading to Alaska in few weeks and I would like to get my rear brakes back before this, so all help would be appreciated :bow

-Hemuli
www.whereishemuli.eu

I've never done this but my vote is to plug the ABS connections and connect rear brake master cylinder direct to the caliper.
Looping the ABS pipes together risks making a short circuit likely to bleed all the power away.
Just my 2p but how I would start if stuck in the same jam.

Sent from a widget that can't spell.

I've never done this but my vote is to plug the ABS connections and connect rear brake master cylinder direct to the caliper.
Looping the ABS pipes together risks making a short circuit likely to bleed all the power away.

As I have understood, front and rear brakes are connected, so when you apply only front brake little pressure is guided also rear brake.
With looping I was just wondering if this could possibly avoid ABS-failure light to come on.
Because rear brake servo does not work, it will not put a pressure to the rear brake system, so looping should be ok. Maybe the safest way is to try to blog connections first and see how it behaves.
I actually ordered rear brake line from BMW Seattle (non-ABS bike), so this mod is really fast and easy. Just need to figure out how to tackle this ABS unit...

i haven't got the first idea - but hell of a first post :cool:

:) I have had this GS since end of 2005 (bought it brand new) and now it has close to 200 000 miles on it :)
Past 2 years in pretty demanding conditions, loaded with everything I own nowadays :)

i would start by lobbing the ABS unit entirely and connecting things up in the conventional manner. what i don't know is what effect that might have on the ECU?

i believe it is not possible/difficult on the newer hexheads, but might be ok on an 05 :nenau

i would start by lobbing the ABS unit entirely and connecting things up in the conventional manner. what i don't know is what effect that might have on the ECU?

i believe it is not possible/difficult on the newer hexheads, but might be ok on an 05 :nenau

Maybe one day, now I just need my rear brakes back and I like to have ABS in front (as long as it still works :D

I find the rear brake ABS is too aggressive. It cuts in and clatters under normal stops on bumpy roads. The front is about right for me.

I find the rear brake ABS is too aggressive. It cuts in and clatters under normal stops on bumpy roads. The front is about right for me.

I fully agree. There should be an option to switch off rear abs completely (not just pressing a button during start-up). On gravel- and bumpy roads I prefer that I can lock rear wheel.

Today I got non-ABS brake line from BMW so I was able to bypass ABS unit in rear brake line.
It was easy job, bleeding rear brake took only few minutes and brake feels really good. Best part is that now I can lock rear wheel when ever needed.
I could not find a plugs for ABS unit neither store who could plug the brake lines, so I just cut original lines and combined them with a hose.
ABS-warning light comes on as expected, but black tape can fix that in a sec :)

If you want to see some photos how it looks like, you can find them from my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WhereIsHemuli

Maybe one day, now I just need my rear brakes back and I like to have ABS in front (as long as it still works :D

I may be 100% wrong here, but I thought the ABS functioned by comparing the rotation of the front wheel with the rear, & vice versa ? If that is the case, & I believe it to be so, surely you cannot have ABS on the one wheel alone ?
It has no reference point to "check it's speed with". I am open to correction.

He's only disconnected the rear caliper, not the sensor I assume.

I may be 100% wrong here, but I thought the ABS functioned by comparing the rotation of the front wheel with the rear, & vice versa ? If that is the case, & I believe it to be so, surely you cannot have ABS on the one wheel alone ?
It has no reference point to "check it's speed with". I am open to correction.

As cookie mentioned, I only disconnected brake caliper from the ABS.
Sensor in rear wheel is used for ABS and speedo, so no reason to touch this.

Today I got non-ABS brake line from BMW so I was able to bypass ABS unit in rear brake line.
It was easy job, bleeding rear brake took only few minutes and brake feels really good. Best part is that now I can lock rear wheel when ever needed.
I could not find a plugs for ABS unit neither store who could plug the brake lines, so I just cut original lines and combined them with a hose.
ABS-warning light comes on as expected, but black tape can fix that in a sec :)

If you want to see some photos how it looks like, you can find them from my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WhereIsHemuli

I was concerned this might bypass the ABS all together but presumably the front ABS works normally.

I think this is an important discovery for anyone on any sort of extended tour.

Back
Top Bottom